1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bags Conned, honored

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by xiki, Jan 25, 2004.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

OK, Bags was in Conn. getting honored:

http://www.ctnow.com/sports/hc-bagwell0125.artjan25,1,3584977.story?coll=hc-headlines-sports

Rocket Excites An Astro
    January 25, 2004
    By MIKE ANTHONY, Courant Staff Writer

WEST HARTFORD -- Jeff Bagwell arrived at the University of Hartford Saturday evening, had a bunch of memories come rushing back and noticed one thing.

"Campus is a little bit different now," he said. "It seemed so big back when I was here. It seems a little bit smaller now. But that's a good thing."

Since leaving Hartford in 1989, Bagwell, the Houston Astros' first baseman, has gone on to big things. With a wife, three daughters and a 162-game season occupying most of his time, Bagwell, who grew up in Killingworth, seldom finds himself in Connecticut these days. He came back Saturday as the guest of honor at Hartford's annual Hot Stove Dinner.

The night was billed as a celebration of Hartford baseball. Bagwell had his No.27 retired and joined basketball player Vin Baker as the only Hawks honored with a "locker dedication," a showcase of memorabilia to be placed in the lobby of Chase Family Arena.

"We're a relatively small Division I athletic program but we feel especially blessed to have had some young people go through our program and get their start," athletic director Pat Meiser-McKnett said. "No one represents excellence better than Jeff Bagwell. So we're thrilled to have him with us. We're thrilled to honor his career."

Though Bagwell spent much of the evening reminiscing, the future has him most excited.

Bagwell, 35, is entering his 14th season of what is sure to be a Hall of Fame career. The acquisitions of pitchers Andy Pettitte and Roger Clemens help give Houston a legitimate shot at the World Series, something Bagwell has yet to experience.

Bagwell said Houston is buzzing - and not just because the Super Bowl will be played there in a week. He compared the anticipation for baseball to when the Astros acquired Randy Johnson late in the 1998 season.

"But never going into the season did we have anything like this," said Bagwell, who spent time with Pettitte recently. "I was shocked when we got Andy and then this thing started to spill over with Roger. Never, ever did I expect this to happen, but I'm sure glad it did."

Bagwell left Hartford as the career leader in batting average (.413), RBI (126) and home runs (31) and was drafted by the Red Sox in 1989 before being traded to Houston in 1990. In 1994, he was the National League MVP. Saturday, he pulled a red drape to reveal memorabilia that he, the Astros and UHart had gathered. There was his 1988 All-America plaque, a bobblehead doll, Hartford and Astros jerseys, used equipment and pictures from his Hawks days.

"I was just a young kid there," he said. "Things have changed. It's gratifying that I came from a small school. To have that [connection] back here, I think it's great."

After 419 home runs and 1,421 RBI as an Astro, Bagwell will chase his first pennant with a pitcher he used to idolize as a Red Sox fan.

"I talk to my friend over here and he tells me all the time, `Can you believe you're playing with the Rocket?'" Bagwell said. "It's crazy. I remember sitting here in college, watching him pitch. And here I am now sitting in front of you guys and he's my teammate. It's been crazy, but it sure has been fun."

Bagwell isn't sure if he wants to engage in an alma mater debate with Clemens.

"I'll probably keep my mouth shut about that," he said. "You've got to be careful when you talk about the University of Texas compared to the University of Hartford. But I'll let him know we have alumni somewhere."

2. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

glad to hear it

damn shame bagwell hasn't won more mvp awards or gotten farther in the playoffs

I really hope this is the year...... maybe not to the world series..... but that we make it past the first round of the playoffs.

that feat in itself would be utterly amazing.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

One thing people forget is that Anderson was perhaps the most dominant pitcher in the NL when we traded him.

4. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

?????:confused: :confused:

He was a middle reliever with a 5-2 record and 6 saves. He appeared in 50 games for the Astros, and only 15 games for the Red Sox. He had 68 K's in 73 innings.

Good, but hardly "the most dominating pitcher in the NL"...Danny Darwin was having a much better year for the Astros than Anderson, while Doug Drabek and David Cone were dominating the league. Drabek won the Cy Young award that year, going 22-6 with a 2.76 era.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

Maybe only a middle reliever, but certainly one of the most dominating pitchers. Andersen did help the BoSox into the post-season that year too (15 games, 1.23 ERA). In 1989 he had a 1.54 era and in 1990 he had 1.95 era. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better pitcher at that time. No wins or saves to speak of, but nobody wanted to face his slider.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Larry was an All Star quip machine, and at the time an effective pitcher.

Advantage: Boston writers and Houston fans.

7. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Nonetheless we got over on that deal. :D