1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Does Seinfeld hold up?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Os Trigonum, Dec 1, 2018.

?

Does Seinfeld hold up?

1. yes, still funny after all these years, holds up great

48 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. yes, funniest show of all time!

16 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. no. Seinfeld's reign is over.

3 vote(s)
    4.7%
  4. no. and for the record Seinfeld was never funny.

5 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Post-Millennials clearly don't have a sense of humor

8 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. Shrinkage

11 vote(s)
    17.2%
  7. No soup for you!

11 vote(s)
    17.2%
  8. Not that there's anything wrong with that

10 vote(s)
    15.6%
  9. Assman

13 vote(s)
    20.3%
  10. Double-dipping

8 vote(s)
    12.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

well, does it?

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Morgan is insufferable.

Mathloom likes this.
  3. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

saying you dont like seinfeld is like saying you dont like the beatles.

and there is something wrong with that.

BigM, RudyTBag and Cohete Rojo like this.
  4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Some episodes do and some don't. For the most part, I think it does. His whole means of dating would change in the modern era and cell phones would kill like 10% of episodes because the whole phone drama wouldn't exist. But it's still really funny and some what relatable.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

As I've grown older, the more I've come to realize the main characters on Seinfeld are pricks. Difficult to find a show funny when the characters are not likeable.

6. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

For most of these late millenials (25 and under), I realized The Office is their Seinfeld. Most have never even seen Seinfeld.

These folks always making Office references/memes like people used to make Seinfeld references.

FLASH21 and DreamShook like this.
  7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Found the fat guy that got held up and carjacked.

The following shows will never, ever, ever, ever....... get old:

Seinfeld
    Fresh Prince
    Martin
    Married with Children

tmoney1101 and Cohete Rojo like this.
  8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

That's the best part. No lessons learned, no coming together. Same reason I love Sunny.

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Same as it ever was.

The bits that were great, still are great.

"No Soup for you" has to be some of the best TV ever.

10. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I think that was part of the show. The terrible series finally basically admitted to it. They were a group of narcissists with very few redeeming qualities. It was a hilarious show, however.

IMHO, I think it mostly holds up, but like someone said, with cell phones and modern dating, about 10% of the show doesn't exist if made today.

My wife and I think Frasier holds up better.

11. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I think part of the reason Seinfeld holds up is because so many of the storylines and gags don't hold up because of modern technology. I just went back through it about a year ago, and I found myself enjoying certain episodes more because they involved situations that would never happen today.

Take for instance the famous "Rochelle, Rochelle" episode. The entire conceit of that episode is that they were going to go to the movies together but kept missing each other. Today, with cell phones, that never happens.

The characters aren't particularly likable, but that's the point. I've read before that Larry David's ethos as it pertains to the characters was "no growth, no hugging."

Nook likes this.
  12. jcf

jcf Member

Holds up, but I still like Cheers so what do I know.

13. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

There are a number of episodes where the ubiquity of cell phones makes the plot not quite as plausible as it was during the time. Hell, even handing a fake number out isn't completely necessary with call blocking. It doesn't mean the rest isn't funny, but it would be like watching Dick Van Dyke in the 80s or 90s and finding the episodes relatable. With time, the relatability and subsequent comedy fades.

14. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Jeannie isn't too far behind her. It's a shame she's so darn cute.........what a waste.

15. PhiSlammaJamma

Premise for the hold up show is very interesting. That will hold up.

As for Seinfeld, I think the observational humor holds. The whole concept of the show, do nothing, ought to resonate with every generation.

16. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Will FBE hold up in 20 years? **** those kids.

CCity Zero likes this.
  17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Well.. Always Sunny and Curb Your Enthusiasm are still around and both definitely follow the Seinfeld type formula (Curb for obvious reasons), and both are great... So I think it depends on the person's taste in jokes. Also... I think the newer/younger audience needs to get that similar to the characters on Sunny/Curb that they're not good people (the characters, not the actual cast/people). Sunny/Curb obviously takes it a lot further but regardless the characters are definitely jerks on all of these types of shows and that's what makes/made them great.

I'm curious to see on these kids if they watch Always Sunny or Curb... Or even SP? Or is it all too PC now to watch those?

I still will occasionally binge Seinfeld and like both Curb/Sunny, but I was around for all of these, middle/hs for Seinfeld but definitely watched and enjoyed it during the original run.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think y'all are looking at it wrong. Worrying about cell phones and ****. If they announced a new season RIGHT NOW, they wouldn't miss a beat. Tinder episode? Lulz. Therefore, it holds up. And Curb is still on.

Reverse example - Simpsons doesn't hold up. Used to be good, nobody likes it anymore. They've been around before cells and after.

NEXT.

Nook likes this.
  19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lol, this is great, makes me think of one of the characters on those shows, and they'd definitely say the same thing.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

If Seinfeld were a new sitcom it would be successful - Curb Your Enthusiasm proves that as it is a modern version of Seinfeld.

tmoney1101, Nook, CCity Zero and 2 others like this.