1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Durant: ‘It’s easy to be the best player when you don’t have good players around you’

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheGreat, Jun 10, 2018.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

do they make playoffs?
    NO

clutchdabear and juanm34 like this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol even bradley beal can carry a team and 'create' for a month or two

and how that season finished?

roslolian and clutchdabear like this.
  3. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

KD was the best player in the Finals last year. I don't think they would have won it without him. Just like they hadn't the year before.

clutchdabear likes this.
  4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

They would have been competitive in the finals without him. Adding him made them absurdly overpowered.

roslolian, Easy and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Absurdly overpowered? They would have lost in 6 to the Rockets if CP3 weren't hurt.

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

Just a reminder, the Worriers beat the Cavs with Love and Irving out/playing injured three years ago (after beating the Rockets with Dwight injured...the Pelicans with Evans and Holiday injured...and Memphis with Conley and Green out/injured), lost to them two years ago and won last season against the Cavs without Irving.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The rockets got cp3. They rockets were a very good team, one of the best offenses ever.

roslolian likes this.
  8. hakeemthagreat

Yea but KD isn't passing to Kyle Kover in a game 7 with single coverage. But you're right, this whole situation says more about Draymond than KD

PersianRocket likes this.
  9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's all counter-factual speculation. I don't disagree with him being a top 3 player (not sure if you can call it a "fact" as @Daddy Long Legs pointed out). But who is to say that they could not have won a championship with him the past two seasons? The dynamic of the team would have been very different. The probability of them winning with Durant was of course higher. But I would still say that it was just speculation they could not have won without him. The fact that they have won without him strengthens this doubt.

Saying that the Warriors could have won without him is in no way dismissing Durant's talent. It just shows you how stacked that team is, and again why his joining them was such a travesty.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

And DMo's butt sweat.

Daddy Long Legs and A_3PO like this.
  11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

So when discussing subsequent seasons, it is therefore pointless to mention the Warriors won their first championship without KD because that in no way indicates they would have won another (especially considering they failed the following year without him). Is this "counter-factual speculation" to you?

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yes. Any "would have" or "wouldn't have" scenarios are counter-factual by definition. And they are not fact, but speculations. There are many factors a team could win or not win a championship. A lot of Rockets fans say that if CP did not get hurt, we would have won the championship last season. But that's also counter-factual speculation. How do you know if he was healthy, he or Harden could not have played a bad game, or the refs did not do a blatant unfair job, or some guy's butt sweat did not hurt Harden's ankle, etc.

What is NOT speculation is that the Warriors were stacked without Durant and they would be a championship contender (probably the favorite) with or without him. That team won a record number of games WITHOUT Durant. Who knows if they would or would not have won with or without Durant. There are just too many possible things that could have happened that would decide the outcomes.

13. Juxtaposed Jolt

imo, Anthony Davis is the best two-way player in the game, at this moment in time. Durant's scoring is better than LeBron's, but I think LeBron is still the better offensive player, overall.

14. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I think the argument is certainly there for AD. Though I think bigs’ defensive impact is more noticeable than wing players. Still, I might still give him the edge on KD. Kawhi is a better wing defender than KD, I think.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I haven't read past page one of this thread, but had to ask. What does KD know about not playing with good players?

16. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Agree. But competitive isn't the goal. Winning it all is. Name me one team that wouldn't want to be absurdly overpowered? The salary cap had previously prevented this...but then a perfect storm erupted, with a vastly increased cap just as players like Durant became free agents. So, teams at the cap COULD get a player like Durant.

17. jbasket

jbasket Member

If KD is the best player alive, then I am also the sexiest man alive.

18. BackdoorHarden

hey sexy

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

so curry come back and they still lose...that 40 mil contract not lookin good.

jcf likes this.