1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone have a garage or apt. gym setup?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by NateNate, Nov 17, 2018.

1. NateNate

NateNate Member

Good to hear! Mine is set to arrive today. Did you have 2 separate tracking numbers since they arrived separately? I only have 1. Should I be expecting them to arrive separately as well?

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

They shipped separately. The cage is late- I turned the screws on the Walmart chat support to get a 5% refund. It went from Friday to Monday, now to Wednesday. Not the end of the world but I am a Murican and want my stuff.

3. NateNate

NateNate Member

Of course they shipped my **** to Ruston, La. Smh. What’s weird is Walmart has the correct as address as being shipped to me here in Houston but UPS has it as Ruston, La somehow. Maybe if I threaten to cancel the whole order I too can get a Murican discount....

4. 92i

92i Member

Why do people do this? I am asking seriously because I don’t really see the benefit of a home gym beside the fact the you save time by not actually going to a local gym. To save money? It is expensive to build its own gym unless you don’t buy a lot of weights/machines. Then you’ll get fed up of doing the same exercices/using the same machines and stop working out altogether.

The only time it is a good thing IMO is when you have unlimited budget and can build yourself a great home gym.

I don’t know about the US but here in Canada you have great gyms at 9.99$/month. You also get the chance to see hot girls and everything.

I’ve been working out for almost 6 years now and IMO the best thing is to subscribe to a gym near your home (1 mile radius).

fba34 likes this.
  5. Xerobull

Lots of reasons to have a home gym. For me, it's exactly this: time. I can get up, have a coffee, drink my pre-workout then work out. I hate commuting. I don't go anywhere I don't have to. It adds up, and I live within five miles of several gyms. I also don't like the 'look at me' gyms. I used to work out in a shithole, but those are hard to find in the suburbs. Also, my wife likes to work out. We both squeeze in workout when we can. Me at 4:30 am, her at night. We have little kids, and the time/convenience factor can't be understated. There's also not dealing with other people at the gym, waiting for them to finish their conversation or staring off into space or fiddling with their music to get in to a station, wiping their sweat up, racking their weights, finding the weights. Man, so many reasons.

If you have a set of dumbbells and an adjustable bench, there are thousands of workouts you can do. I never get tired of it.

Price- if you watch craigslist, you can put something together for a few hundred dollars. Then grow it as needed.

As for women- meh, I live in Texas. Pretty girls are everywhere, including my bed.

Mine showed up today. Their shipping/tracking is terrible.

Rack is awesomely simple to put together, much like the bench. About 40 bolts to put in, exactly the same size, comes with a set of wrenches. Took me about two hours while I was watching the Texans game. It's big and cumbersome so you might need help towards the end unless you're resourceful. I can't really speak to the usage yet, but the parts are quality.

Edit- I wish this rack/cage had a couple more J-Hooks and some Olympic plate holder attachments. I'll make due for now but buying a set of each is going to bump the price 50-60 more.

#25 Xerobull, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    fba34 and ferrari77 like this.
  6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Time and convenience mostly, even more so if you have kids or spouse who will use it too. I live very close to my gym but sometimes it’s just too much of a hassle, especially if you’re in somewhat of a time crunch.

If you’re serious and realistic about it, you can easily build out something that is affordable and can use for a long time. But if you’re buying a $3,000 Bowflex trainer, then will eventually max out and get tired of it.

ferrari77 likes this.
  7. NateNate

NateNate Member

Aside from what was already mentioned, and to speak to your point of getting tired of the same exercises, you have to think of all the exercises you can do with just an adjustable bench, squat rack, dumbbells and a barbell. We’re talking about STAPLE exercises that you’re going to have in your routine forever regardless of where you workout. Exercises like all variations of bench presses, squats, shoulder presses, flys, bent over rows, curls, pull ups, dips, deadlifts etc. You can take your sweet time all while not worrying about someone else taking their sweet time. Have you been to the gym from 5-8 p.m? Yuck! With all that being said I’m still keeping my membership because I play ball at least 3 times a week and sometimes I may just prefer to go to the gym. It’s not like I have thousands invested anyways, I only purchased a cage, 300lb barbell set, and a bench all under $400. Oh, and I can fart freely as well at home.

#27 NateNate, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    92i likes this.
  8. Xerobull

I'm returning the cage. Two reasons: 1. The lack of extra J-Hooks or Olympic storage, which I already cited would be an extra cost of around $60 to add. 2. It takes up a good chunk of space for what I use it for. I just don't see myself using a full cage for my exercise routine right now. I'm going to keep the bench.

I went ahead and ordered this half-cage rack.

[​IMG]

Again, the full cage I reviewed a page back is quality and if I needed a full cage, I think i would keep it. Easy as hell to assemble. We'll see how this one rates.

9. Xerobull

I added THIS compact cable system to my home gym today, mounted to the right of the half-cage.

[​IMG]

FrontRunner and CometsWin like this.