1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trying to decide which SUV to buy for the wife

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RKREBORN, Nov 21, 2018.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

In terms of safety you can not beat a Volvo.

As for your list OP, the Lexus would be my choice. The true cost to own the BMW and Mercedes make it not worth it IMO and I'm never buying another Nissan in my life after a crappy experience I had.

If I could remake your list I'd start with these and conduct a fresh comparison.

Lexus RX 350 (a good all-rounder with the most standard features)
    Audi Q5 (surprisingly roomy and sporty, my in laws have one and I like it a lot)
    Acura RDX (best value proposition in the bunch and their recent redesign makes it a must see IMO)
    Volvo XC60 (once again best safety in class)

#41 DonnyMost, Nov 24, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    Deckard, RKREBORN and Deuce like this.
  2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I'd cross off the Q5 if true cost is a factor. Put in close to $10K into my 2011 after it broke completely dead in the middle of the road twice. Also had a number of electronic issues and a locked up A/C motor. Not to mention routine maintenance through a dealer is a few hundred bucks every 10,000 miles.

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

RX350 is known to hold its value and my wife and I love hers.

Will be ditching it for the Tesla Model Y though when it comes out

#43 sammy, Nov 24, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

We are looking to get a new car and are looking squarely at Lexus RX350 and the new Acura RDX. The RDX redesign is very good.

sammy and RKREBORN like this.
  5. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

We traded in our Murano for the BMW X5.
    We loved both cars. The BMW is heavier, stealthier and faster but the Murano had a slightly better tech package and a longer warranty. We like the BMW better because it's body style and the lighting package was the difference maker for my wife. She loves the orange over the blue accents.

6. marky :)

marky :) Member

RX350 gets my vote especially if you plan on buying. Like other's have mentioned, I'd take a look at Acura RDX/MDX and the Subaru Forester.