1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trying to decide which SUV to buy for the wife

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RKREBORN, Nov 21, 2018.

1. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Nope. She’s leaving the decision up to me. Hence I’m asking for advice if anyone has owned or owns any of these vehicles.

2. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I’ll look into the Volvo, thanks for the suggestion!

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The Volvo XC60 is a terrific SUV and highly rated. They also start at $41,000 and go up to $51,000 fully loaded. A less expensive option is the 2019 (if the 2019's are out now - we've only looked at the 2018's) Honda CRV Touring with all wheel drive, which is $32,750 fully loaded. Well worth a look. We've had several Hondas over the years and they seemingly run forever if kept in good condition. Now turbocharged, the Touring gets 28mpg in the city and 34 highway on regular gas.

We're probably buying one in a few months, so I've been looking at them. My main negative would be the CVT transmission. I wish it had the 10 speed automatic that the Sport and Touring Accord models have, but they are supposed to be one of the best CVT's available. One feature that interests me is that it has noise canceling in the cabin, working the same way noise cancelling headphones do. Honda has done a lot to make them quiet and they are loaded with standard safety features if you get the higher end models. Good luck, OP, with whatever you end up with. :)

RKREBORN likes this.
  4. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

We've had several Lexi (is that the plural of Lexus?) in the past, and we own an RX350 right now (although we rarely drive it......bought it for the mother in law). When it was time to buy my wife a new car last year, she wanted to downsize from a GX to an RX, but we just weren't real happy with the new styling of the RX, so we looked around at just about everything. We REALLY liked the volvo XC90, and I'd say it came in second place, and if she wanted something a bit larger, we would have bought one. In the end, we decided on a Porsche Macan. I gotta say, we LOVE that car; it's a blast, and Porsche has been at the top of the quality surveys for quite a few years running now. It's probably irrelevant, but I feel I should point out that you have SUVs on your list that are classified differently in terms of size. The X5 is more comparable in terms of size to the Lexus GX470 rather than the RX.

RKREBORN likes this.
  5. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Although I'm a big fan of diesels, I would stay away from anything built by Hyundai. They're currently being investigated for some serious defects in their engines across most models. I personally own a Kia Soul (Hyundai Subsidiary) and it's engine blew up at 50k miles. Same engine shared throughout Hyundai/Kia's line. Took them 4 months to send a replacement, and they wouldn't come forth with any information as to why the engine failed. This isn't just effecting this specific engine, it's across many engine platforms. I wouldn't come close to this brand until they figure it out.

Exiled and RKREBORN like this.
  6. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Isn't the Macan significantly smaller? We were thinking of that one as well

7. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

It's been over a year since I did comparisons, but I remember the macan and the RX being in the same class. I think the shape of the RX lends itself to better rear storage and rear headroom (IIRCC), but overall, I don't recall much difference. We got a Macan S, and I seem to recall it wasn't too much more than the RX we had priced out. If you do go the Lexus route, (and if you like music), I've always felt the Mark Levinson sound system was a worthy upgrade. I won't say that the Macan is particularly fuel efficient........at least not when I'm driving it. I don't claim to be some great driver or anything.......i just drive it hard. Too much fun not to......granted, this is coming from someone whose daily driver is a truck. I'd certainly recommend at least test driving the Macan. And those volvos.....90 and 60.

8. Juxtaposed Jolt

It doesn't bother me. I just feel like your time might be better spent asking in a car forum, since it's a very specific question about 4 particular make and models, and one that's related to safety.

If it was something like "give me your opinion on this restaurant in Houston" or "what did you think about this TV show/movie," then the answers given here will probably contribute moreso than a question about the safety of 4 car make/models.

Regardless, I hope you find the answers you're looking for, be it here or somewhere else.

9. le081488

le081488 Member

Looked into the CRVs as well and great reviews/value. Also looking into the Acura RDX/MDX but those get pretty pricey as well.

Deckard and RKREBORN like this.
  10. Asian Sensation

She wants a mini van.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If you have kids, they're great. We had two different Honda Odysseys. The original, smaller model, and then the much larger successor, which can hold up to 8 passengers, very useful to take the kids to their robotics or softball tournaments. Comfortable and able to carry a hell of a lot of cargo, if needed. Otherwise, give me one of the smaller SUV's every time. Much better handling, quicker, and better gas mileage. We have a Subaru Forrester my significant other loves, and I like, but cannot love because of its lousy CVT transmission. The CRV's transmission is much more advanced.

12. Exiled

Exiled Member

I've heard their 2.4 gdi engines were lemons.
    I must had extra ordinary luck, my self wasn't expecting almost 10 years ago that my Tucson would had served me this long.
    54956_1735751790578_6191616_o.jpg
    my plan that time was to use it as a daily beater, wear sunglasses and hold newspaper so people who knew me wont recognize me while driving this thing, I had changed the oil once a year, trans once each 5 years, towed a 14' enclosed trailer on a butt numbs 3000 miles trans Canada Trip last winter loaded with 2 tons of wife shoes. When it always below freezing 5.5 month each year, sometime I had to step out of the car to see where is pavements supposed to be under snow ,it did some how survived even rusts,even with a hanged sign with keys inside of "please steal me",it won't go away

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I would go with a Ford explorer.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yeah....posters should never ask other posters their opinion

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/in-the-market-for-a-tablet.255631/

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/moving-to-katy-electricity-providers.276274/

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/alternatives-to-ebay-cl-amazon.280041/

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/online-trading-communities-video-games.243156/

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/comcast-or-at-t.186829/

15. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

That's a damn good run for that Tucson. From what I've seen the 2.4 GDI and 2.0 GDI are bombs ready to go. Mine through a rod, but they didn't tell me the underlying cause. They had to stop engine production in SK for nearly 6 months. Took them 4 months to ship a replacement. Never even let me know that this new engine has had anything changed to ensure it wouldn't happen again. Got about a years worth of payments left on it and then I'm just going to trade it in. I'll probably never buy a Kia/Hyundai again, even though I do like a few of their cars quite a bit.

16. Juxtaposed Jolt

What? You completely took my post out of context. Did I say that posters should never ask other posters their opinion? That's literally the point of this and other forums.

As for your examples, it's much, much easier to give opinions on tablets, electricity providers, alternatives to online selling, video game communities and cable/internet providers than it is about the safety of four specific models of car. I could post in all 5 of those threads right now, if they were recent.

I've used both Android and iOS tablets, participated in video gaming communities, and have used both Comcast and ATT in their lifetimes. Haven't exactly used anything besides eBay for online selling, so I wouldn't be able to give my opinion on that.

My point is, you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who has owned all 4 make/models of what the OP is asking for, much less owned them long enough to attest to the safety of each.

I don't know why you tried so hard to find threads to defend RKREBORN, but I wasn't telling him to not ask people. Just, CF might not be the best media for such a specific question.

Again, OP - hopefully you get your question answered. But reading the thread up to this point, posters aren't even answering OP's question, nor are they even giving their opinion on even one of the four models of car that OP is asking about. But if someone chimes in about how the Murano >>> the other 3, and OP makes a decision based on that, then more power to him.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

My point is there is absolutely nothing wrong with asking an opinion because you never know what you will learn.

It seems the OP has learned about an additional SUV or two to look into that he may never have considered because he asked the question.

18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Are you leasing or buying?

If you are leasing, any of your choices are good. It all comes down to test driving and making decision on the little personal things that appeal to you.

If you are buying, I would recommend staying away from European models because of of reliability issues and the headache and repair costs that comes with it. You can avoid all this by leasing of course.

If you are buying, I would recommend checking out the Toyota Highlander, or if you want even bigger, then the 4runner, and still want bigger, then Land Cruiser.

RKREBORN likes this.
  19. plates300

plates300 Member

Highlander is a very nice car. A friend just picked up the hybrid and it has third row seating and is super roomy.