1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's Talk Cars

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DonnyMost, May 30, 2018.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

Each generation/model has some kind of known issue but the newer ones are pretty solid. 2009+ 911s especially.
    Key is to look at the specific model and buy towards the end of a generation so the issues are ironed out or at least there's sufficient info out there.

2. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Only saw it at the auto show, but it looked nice.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

4. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

That is an incredibly good looking car.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

6. Sajan

Sajan Member

What's everyone's opinion on getting a 2-3 year old F150 vs buying new?
    I have never bought a used truck and people keep saying trucks don't lose a lot of value..doesn't make sense to me sense I see a sh** ton of them on the road.

7. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Unless money isn't an object, it's always better value to buy used vs new. You might get lucky and find something used from the same current year if someone returns it with only a couple thousand miles on it.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I've always thought this was the logical result and I've seen it in several articles/ videos now, but people love to argue they do nothing.

10. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Yeah, I've always had the same thought about drop-in K&N filters. I put them in every car I drive If I'm not doing any sort of modding to it. Plus, once they're dirty you simply clean and re-oil it and you're good to go.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

K&N's cost 2-4x more, probably, and yes, they can be re-used, but for the average person, a standard air filter's going to last 20-30,000 miles, and they won't have to remember to clean and re-oil it. For the gains they're talking about in that video, I doubt most people care.
    There are always ways to interpret things. Some are looking for higher performance, while others are looking to filter more dirt.

Here's a test done a few (9) years ago looking at how much dirt is actually let through by various brands of filters as well as how restrictive the airflow is. The K&N in this test was among the least restrictive, but also allowed more dirt in :
    https://nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

For me, it's always been about if I'm just driving a daily driver, I don't give a flip about another 2 or 3 hp as long as it runs reliably. I can understand the "racer" types wanting another handful of horsepower, though.

BTW, the dirty vs. clean filter kind of surprised me. Thought the dirty one would produce lower numbers than what it did.

Sajan likes this.
  12. Sajan

Sajan Member

If it’s letting more air in, it’s cleaning less.
    I don’t care about 2-3hp especially when I am paying 2-4x more.

Also I remember reading the oil in those filters cause some downstream issues..

13. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Only if oiled incorrectly. Over applying the oil and not allowing it to wick off will cause some slight issues with the MAF sensor readings but that is easily remedied with a bit of electrical cleaner. I typically have 2 filters per car. Once one is dirty I replace it with the already clean and prepped filter. Allowing me to clean and re-oil the dirty one and placing it aside for the next time around.

And for the 20-30k mile filter life from the other post, I couldn't drive more than 3 months without replacing/cleaning the filter. So if you're going anywhere between 1-3 years for any driver type, I hate to see how the rest of the car is taken care of. I'm not even driving dirt roads and my vehicles require at least 3 filter cycles a year. Hell, the filter in my truck's Volant intake is already due and I just put in the clean filter 2 months ago.

14. Nook

Nook Member

My best friend wants to rebuild a relatively simple newer sports/muscle car.

He lives with my wife and I and time won't be an issue.

I have considered a number of cars but I am thinking of going with an older Viper. My son is only 6 and I think we can hold his attention span with it.

If this one goes well, we will do some others ..... I told him I would buy an old fastback Mustang if we get the Viper perfect.

The one I am looking at isn't in bad shape really. It runs well and we would modify to ALB.

Any thoughts?

Good idea or no?

15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

That sounds excessive. I take care of my car and do maintenance at regular intervals and when I check my air filter every few months, it looks pretty damn clean. Not sure why you would need to change it so often. Maybe I need to look at it with some direct light pointed at it or something. It's not like a filter costs much anyways, so it's not a huge deal, but it just sounds crazy to change it so often.

Sajan likes this.
  16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Old Vipers are basically race cars and dangerous ones in the hands of people that don't know how to drive them. I'm not talking about like Vettes and Porsches. The early ones had no traction control, stability control, ABS brakes, etc. People got into them and mashed the pedal down and expected everything to be ok. lol. I'm not sure about what the more recent ones had. But if you know all that and you're cool with it and know what you're doing, why not? :D I always liked Vipers.

On a side note, I still remember my company's dev manager buying what was apparently Cecil Fielder's used Viper back in 1995 or 1996.

CCity Zero and Nook like this.
  17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

These measurements are at peak HP and RPM and we talking 2-3 percent difference. Most people drive at 2000 RPM, so it doesn't really make a difference in normal driving.

Sajan likes this.
  18. plates300

plates300 Member

be prepared to replace either the passenger/driver or both exhaust manifolds. They're known to warp and it's quite a labor intensive job even for the regular mechanic.

19. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

All depends on your bank account, attention span and goals. Getting into a project can be frustrating as hell. Complete money pits that you never recover. I've personally had more fun buying and modifying newer cars. They are just so much more powerful and advanced than even 8 years ago with minimal mods. Whether you road race, street or drag race you may get tooled by modern tech. 2015 coyote mustang with a few mods is NO joke man. You would spend a trunk full of cash to be competitive. If its just for show, cruising and making memories with your kid it's good. If you want to line it up on your track of choice then back the money truck up. Right now I have a gen3 cts v that makes 4 digit hp with cold AC and perfect driving manners. I would have traded every money pit project and headache to realize that earlier. That older viper would be sweet as hell though, depends on what you want to do. I personally HATE stick shifts these days also. Just my opinion.

Nook likes this.
  20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Older Viper is great, but as mentioned if you decide to go with it, just be careful you don't drive it like some of the cars & coffee idiots, it's probably one of the easier sports cars to wrap around a pole or worse. It's a badass car though, especially if you can drive it, and even if you drive it a bit cautiously its still an awesome ride.

I've been considering an older Vette/Mustang project eventually... Currently though have way too many car projects I need to work on for our daily drivers. About to start on a damn Mercedes transmission (only partial trans valve body, fortunately).. Oh the excitement! Haha