1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ennis needs to be benched

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mac_got_this, Nov 11, 2018.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Correct , I didn't know this at the time I posted it .

Hopefully Clint gets better soon

gotsis likes this.
  2. shlhl

shlhl Member

Maybe he will reach the Ariza level when Ariza turn 40.

3. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

It's like you haven't seen Ariza play...

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

have you? the rest of us has seen ariza on this team and they became a true championship contender w/ him being a significant piece. I could be wrong but that's a big goal for teams in this league. well for anyone that truly wants to win

shlhl likes this.
  5. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I agree that Ennis should be benched, he's good enough to be a bench player but not good enough for what we need. We badly need a player who can do the following:

6'6-6'9 with good length
    Good, smart defender
    Offensively, can stand at the 3 point line with the ability to catch and shoot at 35%, 5+ times per game
    Play 30+ minutes every night

Ariza really was a fantastic fit for this team, it's a shame we had to let him go, but he wasn't worth $15m. I don't know what players we could get to fill this role, but I don't think Ennis is the guy. Gary Clark is the most promising on our current roster to fill this role, but he's still a rookie, and his 3 point shooting isn't good enough. I'm really hoping Morey figures out a solution to this spot at some point during this season.

saleem likes this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

in summary, the rockets need an actual starter at the 3 position. yes, that has been the biggest hole that was never addressed in the offseason and still hasn't

saleem and harold bingo like this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Hold up......

"if we strike out on guys like Gasol, Conley, Griffin, etc."

@Nook, are you serious with those 3 players.

steddinotayto and Sean Dr34ms like this.
  8. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

I guess a benching is not bad when you could be like someone else and getting waived.

9. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

Ennis is so bad, i really believed the hype on this guy, but hes just not any good/.. i think Luc is even better then him...

10. lalala902102001

Ennis is not an NBA starter caliber player. He has never been one in his career. This is where Morey dropped the ball. He somehow thought that Ennis would suddenly develop into an Ariza type player given the starter minutes. He was wrong.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Those aren’t names I have heard from anyone else. Those are just bigger names that MAY become available.

Deuce and saleem like this.
  12. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

We haven't had our planned rotation even 1 game this season. I've been on this forum since 1999, saw both stints with Ariza. I've seen him play hundreds of games. He is a streaky, below average shooter and sometimes decent defender. His advantage was he knows our system well. So on average he would make less mistakes vs. a replacement. You need 50 games or so with the replacement player to really know where you stand and it's useful if the team has something close to a stable rotation - it hasn't yet.

So yes, you are indeed wrong.

Swish4fives likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

things you say to prolong being wrong. nice try. love how you just plucked a random number out of the sky. it takes about 60% of the season to figure out if a role player is contributing or not. what awesome logic. so going by this you're essentially all in and that replacement needs to work out bc if it doesn't, itll take another 50 games or so to see the next one try. on to the next year then.

so if im apparently "wrong" to you then you really have no interest in actually winning

ariza's tenure here he was a 36-37% shooter from the perimeter. that's not below average.

#73 YOLO, Nov 13, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  14. Jimmy Chitwood

He didn't really have any other options. 3 & D forwards who can guard 3-4 positions are extremely rare, so the ones that do exist get paid really well. Ennis is our attempt to get one on a budget since all the other guys have big, long-term deals elsewhere.

15. icewill36

icewill36 Member

the only players the rockets can get are probably guys on bad contracts, and or selfish/bad locker room guys.

16. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

During Ariza's last 4 year tenure here, he shot 740 for 2071 3pt attempts. That's an average of 35.7%.

The league averages for 3 point shooting during those 4 years:

'17-18 League Average 36.2 Ariza 36.8

'16-17 League Average 35.8 Ariza 34.4

'15-'16 League Average 35.4 Ariza 37.1

'14-'15 League Average 35.0 Ariza 35.0

He's pretty much the definition of average. Right at the league average twice, below once and above once.

This year? League average so far is 35.2 and Ariza is shooting 34.2.

He's not a bad 3 point shooter but he's not a good one either. He's just average.

topfive, YOLO, Deuce and 1 other person like this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

aka not below average

18. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

For all players in the league, he's average. For guys that take as many 3s as Ariza does , he's below average.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

his tenure here which is specifically my post, he was not below average

20. BigBum

BigBum Member

Ennis is not an effective player in the bench, can't create chemistry.