1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets have eyes on Jimmy B

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Sep 18, 2018.

1. amaru

amaru Member

People just won't accept that this team is fundamentally flawed. They all want a quick fix.

daywalker02 likes this.
  2. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I ain't even mess with stuff under 500k scovilles bruh.

3. today

today Contributing Member

Sounds like there are a few people who need to be added to your ignore list =)

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

That’s cuz you’re not basic

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah, probably. I don't like it but I would do it. Butler is a great player but he's a much bigger risk than people think, in my opinion. I know the Rockets are/were desperate but Butler could have been the missing piece or blown this whole thing up.

6. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Blown what up, though? Do you really believe this team can compete for a championship as is?

7. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Corn whiskey ftw

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm saying if it's bad now, wait until you've traded four future first round picks and you have a disgruntled Butler planning to walk. In my opinion only, that was a very risky move.

No, I don't think this team can compete for a championship right now, but things can change. My fear right now is Chris Paul ... I'm not thrilled with what I'm seeing.

9. riko

riko Member

His track record of being a malcontent is now a trait. In Chicago he was not much liked and the mess in Minny was national news. It will be interesting how he goes with another two young Center and wing player combo. Towns and Wiggins and now Joel and Ben.

Clutch likes this.
  10. bmelo

bmelo Member

Yeah but from what i saw in games Ben and Joel are 'cool kids' by themselfs, very confident and dominant young fellas. I doubt any of them will take **** from Jimmy the way KAT and Wiggins did and Butler seems like a guy that picks on weaker ones eg. see his face when Nene stood up to him

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think so. Might have to make a trade to get an upgraded starting SF, but we are right there...

Gary Clark is a steal.

CP3-Harden-Tucker-Capela-Gordon are going to figure it out, and be dominant very, very soon.

If you guys want to count out Morey with that core 6, and 4 draft picks to trade, I pity the fool...

12. riko

riko Member

Joel maybe but Ben seems to laid back dude. Anyway it will be a very interesting mix. If it works that is a nightmarish trio on both sides of the ball for teams to deal with

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I agree. Butler blowing things up would be the worst case scenario but also a new beginning.

Accelerated rebuilding.

14. bmelo

bmelo Member

Ben may be laid back but his body language is very confident i bet he has short fuse for bull. Jimmy better not hit up Tinashe lol

clutchdabear likes this.
  15. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

So many CFers want to screw Thibs. But what I'm wondering was if Morey had done something like that when Thibs was here. :rolleyes:

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Because …. now that the Butler saga is over , we still have a dire need to improve the team and …. we don't have a random trade thread stickied for this season.

Aww hell , who am I kidding , no random trade is going to fix this cluster****.

Rox11 likes this.
  17. sage281

sage281 Member

I really dont understand the knock on the rockets picks being 20+. First of all Jimmy Butler was the 30th pick. Covington was undrafted.

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Apparently the Rockets were the only team offering multiple picks …. but they really aren't all that great , you'd expect them to be in the late 20's at best with the amount of talent on this squad. Early second rounders are more useful to a team than very late #1's that come with guaranteed cap hits.

Also we don't know what kind of protections Morey was adding … lotto (14) protected ? top 8 / 3 / 1 ?? Who knows ….

And we have to realize they got two useful players to help them now …. which is apparently what they wanted. Saric and Covington or EG ?
    2 years of Saric on a rookie scale contract plus 2 years and RFA status should he perform up to snuff and 4 years of Covington on a reasonable 3/D contract …. Or EG for two years at $27.55m.

EG may be the best player of the three but I think when you factor in the cap situation and actual value of those picks as well as actually replacing Butler on the court …. I might have taken the Philly deal over EG , Nene and picks too.

There are exceptions to the rule but the odds of landing an impact player very late in the 1st round are slim.
    They also come with guaranteed money.

19. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

We don’t disagree too substantially. I was willing to take the Butler risk, but only because I think things are that desperate at this point.

I’d also fully tank this season. That’s just me.

Understanding reasonable people can disagree.

The Paul trade/contract had to be done. But we all need to understand the trade and contract cost were essentially all for 2017-18.

Paul’s an old and breakable player getting older and more breakable every day.

Life is much about luck, and the Rockets had the terrible, misfortunate luck of their championship window being eclipsed by one of the craziest competitive farces this league has ever seen.

Anyway, I’m rambling now. It’s not the most fun I’ve ever had as a Rocket fan. I guess I’m not quite to the acceptance stage yet.

Easy and snowconeman22 like this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

those are 2 guys in how many years of drafting and how many people have been drafted. odds are not in your favor at all