1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] The Goldbergs

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Poloshirtbandit

I guess he's one of the JTP guys? Googled his character from the show and still have no idea who he is.

2. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

looks to be only in the first 2 seasons, I honestly don't think he had a speaking role.....

[​IMG]

3. Roscoe Arbuckle

Well... They screwed up again. Latest episode talked all about "Bohemian Rhapsody." I recall finding this song on a cassette in 1989. Nobody my age had ever heard of it.

FYI, looked it up. Only hit #9 in the US and that was in 1976...

It was only after "Wayne's World" that the song became the hit it is today, and that movie came out in 1992.

I know it's just a silly comedy, but the blatant historical mistakes piss me off.

4. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

[​IMG]

DFWRocket, J-Mac and Pizza_Da_Hut like this.
  5. PhiSlammaJamma

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

No Worries and FranchiseBlade like this.
  7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I guess the good news is that pop culture isn't history and never has been, we just started pretending it was when there were no ways to engage certain social groups other than through their athletes and singers, and then later when we needed something to talk about after Vietnam and yearly political assassinations died down. Also try to imagine that popular songs had a longer shelf life and got all kinds of resurgencies and revivals back then, particularly with a band that was fully performing and touring in the decade you complained about their song being referenced in. Between the WWF cartoon playing a Queen song every time Junkyard Dog came on screen and Chris Lambert having a sword fight with Freddie Mercury in a music video I think it's fair to assume these guys' '70s songs still had heavy rotation. Also your Wayne's World statement is a little off, the song was sufficiently popular when it first came out. It's kind of like saying Break On Through wasn't popular until those movie trailers for the Oliver Stone film, or Malcolm X wasn't popular until those stupid hats.

8. Roscoe Arbuckle

Not sure your age, but I can speak from growing up here. This song got no rotational play here on 107.5, 97FM, KLOL or any other classic rock station in the 80s. NONE.

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Okay, gatekeeper; good job listing a quarter-dozen radio stations in one media market that's not even the largest in its own state. I think you forgot pre-country 93Q and KTRU or whatever.

10. Roscoe Arbuckle

Ah, we have a Dallas fan...

93Q, 79Q and KRBE were always current pop stations in the 80s. KTRU was only remotely popular in the 90s.

Again, how old are you? Doesn't seem to me you were listening to music like I was in the 80s.

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I'm not a Dallas fan; pretty much everyone understands why and how that's always been a bigger media market.

Old enough to know an ad hominem when I see it. Also, again, your narrow scope or salad days aren't indicative of anything.

Eric Riley likes this.
  12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

13. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

Adam Goldberg isn't telling the story of the 80's ... he's telling the story of Adam Goldberg that happened to occur in the 80's. It's obvious that they mined much of the universal nostalgia in the first few seasons and have tackled more personal topics recently (Grease, Hershey Park, Fiddler and Queen all from this season alone). I was an 80's child and many of the episodes haven't hit home lately but I give the guy a ton of credit, he has always stayed true to his personal story.

"I was an obsessive growing up after I discovered them at 10 at summer camp," Adam F. Goldberg tells Billboard of his Queen fandom.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

LOL at another fatty declaration where if he didn't experience, it didn't happen. I absolutely remember that song growing up. It's almost as if someone missed the most iconic performance at Live Aid in 1985.

Can someone help me identify the first song?

CCity Zero likes this.
  15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I remember it in the 70s. It hit the Billboard charts in 1977 (UK charts in 1976).

#fauxoutrage

Rocketman95 likes this.
  16. Poloshirtbandit

17. Roscoe Arbuckle

Poloshirtbandit likes this.
  18. Roscoe Arbuckle

Most recent episode has Murray needing a new car because his old one he had owned since his first date with Beverley. The car was clearly a 1985 Toyota Tercel. That was at least 15 years wrong.

This show isn't even trying to get anything right. How hard would it have been to get a beat up 1970 Chevy Nova?

19. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I'm 52, grew up in Houston, listened "mostly" to 101, and you are either wrong, or you were taking really long bathroom breaks every time they played that song.

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I like the show, but I always look forward to the little snippet of home movies at the very end - always the best part.

I actually think the show would be funnier if it was just Adam narrating the home movies for 22 minutes a week.

CCity Zero likes this.