1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lonzo Ball or Trae Young

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by plutoblue11, Oct 27, 2018.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

And Jordan got cut from the bball team during his high school team that didn't impact his NBA career right?

Point is past is past what has last year got to do with this year? This year the stats show Trae Young is an even worse shooter than Lonzo Ball. You can argue Lonzo is just lucky and will revert but Young couldn't even shoot well in Summer League if both of them backslide Trae Young will be out of the league.

2. solodolo11

solodolo11 Member

Lonzo Ball all day. Ball is a true PG. I don't need Ball to be the superstar. I just need him to set up the offense, play defense, and hit the open shot at a respectable rate (which he is now). His size, vision, playmaking, passing, decision making, and defense are what I'm going for.

Young is an amazing player but he's smaller, not a great finisher around the basketball, and if his shot isn't falling the rest of his game isn't great enough to make up for it. But of course with time and practice he could fix it all and be even better.

Side note- what is yalls opinion on Sexton? I love watching him play and his tenacity but I cant help but feel his ceiling is a better version of Bev/Bradley. If anyone actually reads this post lol, thoughts?

roslolian and plutoblue11 like this.
  3. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Front and center, tonight.

4. munco

munco Member

in making the comparison i think it's better to look at their first 10 games. Young's only played 10 games while Lonzo has a full season under his belt. I forget but didn't Lonzo get off to a terrible start last year

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

Young is a much better overall player. Two diff types of pg’s but at this point trae is more rounded skillfully at this point.

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Young seems to be the better player and he's only 19.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

I really disagree Ball had as much differential in less time.

Young is more skilled but he is also less athletic and can't keep up with his opponents. He shot great from 3 but was horrendous at the 2, thats because he is too unathletic to finish in the rim. Atl is gonna be a loser till they get somebody better than Young to be the centerpiece.

8. HRox832

HRox832 Member

Young is just a rook averaging 18 and 8. He's a much better passer than Ellis and a lot less selfish

vlaurelio likes this.
  9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

despite all the doncic hype, i think young actually has a chance to be better than him. i was wrong for clowning young over the summer b/c it turns out he does have elite quickness as well as near-elite court vision and ballhandling. remains to be seen if he can get strong enough to be an effective finisher and become a more efficient shooter. also lonzo ball sucks.

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Young since he doesn't have a LeBron James in his way to find and develop his NBA game.

11. barongan

barongan Member

Trae Young. He has pretty good vision[​IMG]

12. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I love watching Trae play. Saw him hit the game winner against the Spurs taking a 35ft 3 with about 6 secs left where he could have used the time to get a shorter shot but he took it because he was open and knew it was in his range. That said every time he gets blocked at the rim or has his jump shot blocked it makes me wonder.

Ball may never be a great shooter but he's close to Trae as a passer with court vision and Trae will never RB or defend as well as Lonzo. I got to go with Lonzo as my PG.

roslolian likes this.
  13. andersongo

andersongo Member

First it was Duncan not being an athletic specimen, and now this.
    Trae Young is 2nd in the whole NBA at finishing in the paint (on large volume) behind only the Greek Freak. That means being better than Harden, Leonard and Westbrooks. Also much better than your boy Doncic. Young also shoots 45% on catch and shoot 3s. His off the dribble shot has not yet translated (if it will ever translate at all).
    He is definitely among the best passers in the NBA; I would take only Simmons and Paul before him when it comes to playmaking.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Duncan was consensus no 1 pick I doubt anybody would say he sucked before his draft.

Trae Young shooting 42% fg if thqts your def of greatest finisher there is something wrong with you.

15. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

LeBron would like to have a word with you.

roslolian likes this.
  16. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Doncic is a bum. He's being featured on a trash team. Perfect fit

RudyTBag likes this.
  17. roksoer

roksoer Member

Neither will ever be the first or second best player on a team that comfortably makes the playoffs. That said, you put Lonzo on the GSW and he will get his minutes and he will make a positive impact all across the board. If you put Trae on the GSW, he gets cut or sent down to the G-league.

As much as I hated Lonzo's hype coming into the league and indulged in his failures last season, he definitely passes the eye test, he's got excellent intangibles and just plays the game the right way. For him to put his head down, ignore the overwhelming hype, ignore the overwhelming hate and just put in work and play hard... That gained a lot of respect from my side.

As for Trae... I'd love to see if any rookie ever had a usage rate that high. For some reason people want to make him the next Curry from the get go when he's shown no signs whatsoever. It took Curry several years of earning his playing time and usage to become who he is now, the percentages and eye test always showed he deserved more, it was never just handed to him. Even though he doesn't look it, Curry is a generational athlete, his core is insanely strong for his frame, his coordination and reflexes are literally out of this world.

In my opinion, you can give most point guards in the league Trae's minutes, usage and media pull and they'd be more successful.

roslolian likes this.
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Trae Young hype is unwarrented ok so he can pass and has court vision...so what? Wicky Rubio is just as if not a better passer nobody except What and Holic is hyping him up.

With a FG of 42% and 3pt of 27% why are people actually trying to argue he is better than Doncic or Lonzo Ball? Wtf! He makes Westbrick look lile Klay Thompson in comparison when it comes to usage rate and shooting accuracy. If Trae Young was playing in LA he would be nailed to the bench by Lebron.

RudyTBag likes this.
  19. Tankeio

Tankeio Member

de'aaron fox

roslolian likes this.
  20. roslolian

roslolian Member

He is only averaging those pts because his team gives him greenlight to shoot. Currently shooting 40% FG and 28% 3 pt his shot looks as bad as Lonzo last year except he is unathletic and a defensive liability.

RudyTBag likes this.