1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Midterms

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Not official yet, but huge wins for the DEMS in Nevada: Governor, US Senate, US House, and many state seats. Nevada is slowly turning blue from battleground category.

2. amaru

amaru Member

I remember those days to.

3. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I like the Atlantic, WSJ, and NYT these days. One of the good things about being a millennial cordcutter is that I don’t have to worry about TV news biases. I have no idea what’s going on CNN or Fox News anymore. I’m convinced that Fox News has a subliminal signal droning throughout its broadcast that is subjugating viewers and causing them to be susceptible to its message. Like Reaver indoctrination in the mass effect series, or the evil signal in Halloween 3:

B-Bob likes this.
  4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

republicans elected at least two people under indictment, a few known racists, and... a dead person.

Rocket River likes this.
  5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

What a gut punch to Democrats though if Tester and Synema both lose (currently trailing.)

For Democrats to get swatted in the Senate like this considering the current political climate...not sure how they have a road to power in the Senate in the near future. Republicans nearly pulled off a clean sweep of the Senate battlegrounds.

6. NewRoxFan

Sometimes you look for humor...

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Trump is about to go ham. Senate is a huge victory for him and his message of hate proved very successful. He will go nuts now and drive that message home.

8. NewRoxFan

Sometimes I guess we deserve the government we get...

And...not just a brothel owner. But a dead brothel owner.

9. NewRoxFan

True. Heck, trump avoids press conferences... even in important times. But of course, he has one now scheduled for today to talk about what a great job he did.

10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Feels like a tie. Congrats to both sides. Houston/harris county went predominantly blue. The turnout was a positive.

11. NewRoxFan

Agreed. And while the saying goes "a tie is like kissing your sister" I really do think its better for the country if there is some balance in power (even though I'd like it to balance in favor of Democrats).

The increased turnout is a strong positive. Hopefully if a part of that increased turnout were young, women and minorities I hope they are not frustrated or disappointed by outcomes and continue to use their votes. Speaking of women and minorities, it was great to see so many women in both parties win. It was also good to see more minorities win. While it was disappointing to see a few well-publicized candidates best known for hate win, hopefully the electorate will weed those out in 2020.

12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

They like ties in Kentucky.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I know the Democrats keep saying that but was it true. The Dems here and my Austin friends have been parroting this line so I’m guessing it is coming from somewhere on the left. The people who voted Republican that I know did it not because of “hate” or racism they did it because they don’t like the Democrats message. My dad specifically said he would have voted for some Democrats by themselves but he didn’t want to give the party any control. He even voted for Dan Patrick who he truly hates because he knew him back when he was a drunk ******* at my dad’s bars lol.

14. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Time for Trump to press ahead with his agenda via Executive Orders for the next two years. Republicans will get the House back in 2020.

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely. He pulled stunt after vote suppressing stunt. If there were an international election monitoring group looking at Georgia they would view the results as not valid. It was as crooked as can be.

Rocket River, joshuaao and mdrowe00 like this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

The outcome was pretty much was expected. So I don’t really think they got swatted in the Senate. It was in line with what was expected.

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If you looked at overall votes it's d+7 similar to d+2 of vote last time.

Giving everybody healthcare is such a terrible thing. The thing is hospitals would not exist in many of these small towns without Medicare and Medicaid. They don't realize the biggest health insurance company in this country is the US government.

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

And the Iowa 4th continues to be possibly the most racist district in the nation by re-electing Steve "HELL YEAH I'M A NAZI" King.

B-Bob likes this.
  19. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    Overall I'm pleased with the outcome. Both sides have something to lift up as victories. But I'm pleased in that Senate seats are longer lasting victories (6 year terms vs 2 year terms for the House) and more important, given the judicial confirmation process. Increasing the lead in the Senate is extremely powerful, and puts SCOTUS at a high probability of decades long conservative dominance should RBG, Breyer, or Sotomayor step down due to health. The 2020 Senate race map doesn't have a lot of races that today would be hotly contested, and Alabama should revert back to Red. So it's probable that Republicans have a strong senate majority for not just 2 more years, but at least 4. RBG may be thinking hard about her options. We'll see if the Dems overreach in the House and prioritize their to the Russian conspiracy theories and fishing for Trump misdeeds. These issues are political losers and will lead to strong Republican gains in 2020.

Overall this is a good outcome for Trump. Remember Obama lost 63 House seats and 6 Senate seats in his first midterm in 2010. Trump far, far bested that outcome. Picking up Senate seats in a midterm is just huge, and the House margin is slim enough to provide some impulse control for Pelosi.

But most importantly, Beto O'Rourke can now go be a server at Chuy's. I'd like a frozen margarita, no salt, Beto. Andale joven!

GOOD DAY

Astrodome likes this.
  20. Newlin

Newlin Member

It feels like a tie because things went pretty much as predicted. But, the Dems taking power in the house IS a big deal. It was predicted, but it's still the biggest story of the night.

In my opinion.