1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'm confused... are we liking Melo now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayfree, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

so can we blame melo for helping us win?

2. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

?

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not confused. He's been as good or as bad as advertised. You take his good (what expected of him) with his bad Defense.

Dun hate him but also no fan favorite IMO.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

he is also awesome posting people up... posters here were recommending that for getting melo in the rhytm...how come coaching staff cannot see that..mind boggling

fattz, BigShasta and Lawlruschang like this.
  5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's because the coaching staff receive statistics and know he has not scored it efficiently enough for over half a decade with multiple teams, multiple coaches and multiple chances to work on it. In fact, for his career, he has been mediocre at it except for 2 seasons out of 17. Those days are long gone.

He doesn't need that shot. He wants it. If he doesn't get it, he might be less efficient and we will play him less. If he does get the shot, he will certainly convert at the same efficiently as always and we can't get those shots back or give them to someone else. Give me option A everyday.

There is no chance Melo will rejuvenate his career by doing the exact same thing he's done for the past 5-6 years. It is insanity to expect it to go differently. Look at how a mild push in the direction of playing our style has made his points per shot jump by 20% better than last season. More 3's and more shots at the basket. The NBA doesn't reward low movement play anymore. It rewards shooters and movers. Even our superstars have to get with the program, no reason he shouldn't.

For once, I'm optimistic about Melo. I think he will give up this self-incarcerating line of "I need those low efficiency shots to get in rhythm". It is a myth his ego created for him and he's starting to realize it. He mentioned in an interview (paraphrasing) that he knows his new role is to be on as soon as he steps on the court. No time to waste f'ing around with midrange and post up. Melo CAN RIGHT NOW transform himself into a modern player and become a shooter who can attack, rather than an attacker who can shoot.

He is not posting up Durant or Draymond. They will shut him down. But he can very easily drive them nuts from 25 feet every time they disrespect him by giving him some air. His defense is atrocious. SO BAD. He's welcome to take rhythm shots when he can stop the bleeding on that end. But for him to be a a net positive, he has to be more efficient than he's been in half a decade and that kind of change in efficiency necessitates a significant change in his attack strategy. We will not see a major shift in efficiency just by continuing what he's done but with better players around him, that kind of thing doesn't make a dramatic change.

Rock Block, saleem, BigShasta and 2 others like this.
  6. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that we are incorporating Melo’s post up game more. Let’s get some diversity in this offense!

I agree that we’d never post up Melo against durant or Green, but our whole offense is predicated on taking advantage when the defense switches.

If Curry is guarding Paul or Harden, have Melo set the screen. Most of the time, you let the stars do their thing. But every once in a while, if Curry switches onto him, give Melo the ball in the post. It’s another wrinkle in the offense that the Warriors would have to gameplan against.

GSW is an all-time great defensive team -we need to use this time to develop every tool possible to go at them!

7. 1Deep

1Deep Member

He did well.

BigShasta and saleem like this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

good post

9. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Melo gets 50 in a game this year, he will be crying.

amaru likes this.
  10. riko

riko Member

How hard is it to give the guy credit? He took over the game in the third quarter and parts of the fourth.

amaru and saleem like this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

yeah...btw for now let us forget about warriors... lets post melo up vs everybody...

ApacheWarrior and RasaqBoi like this.
  12. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Fair enough haha...broader point is that Melo post ups can be efficient when he has a mismatch (I.e. smaller guy on him). It’s a nice wrinkle to our offense, which is based around getting the defense to switch and attacking the mismatch generated.

hakeem94 and saleem like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The more 28 pt performances..... the more liking him.

[​IMG]

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I always have liked him. Melo is shooting well, and would be putting up really big numbers if he took even more shots a game. You sure can't blame him for our losses. Paul got suspended 2 games James has been injured, replacements have been shooting really bad, and our lineups have been lacking in chemistry. I think calling Melo a cancer is the kind of negativity that just festers unnecessary hate. I support him and really appreciate him being here.

#54 deb4rockets, Nov 3, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    Y2JT likes this.
  15. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

16. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I like him when he plays like he did last night. Space the floor, quick catch and shoot threes and then two or three post ups to keep him happy.

17. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Last night is the absolute IDEAL use of Melo. Man, the rotation those 3s had on them.....Melo has one of the sweetest shots...

Crashlanded19 and hakeem94 like this.
  18. MeloMan15

MeloMan15 Member

I think Melo in the post against weak defenders (Harris) or small PG's is a match up the Rockets should take advantage off. I saw CP3 look for that multiple times last night. Melo will need to be open to passing out of the double instead of forcing his shot.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Kobe without the rings? Where is that coming from?

And Iverson "cultural impact"? This dude is on drugs.

20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Date......Opponent .........Pts.....FGM.....FGA....FG%...3PM.....3PA....3P%.....Rebs......Stl.....Blks
    Oct 24th: Jazz......................22........9...........17........ - ........3.............8........ - ............7............1........1...
    Oct 26th: Clippers...............24.........8..........18......... - .......6...........10......... - ..........2...........1........2...
    Oct 30th: Blazers..................8..........2..........12......... - ........0............2......... - ...........4...........1.......2...
    Nov 2nd: Nets......................28.........9..........12......... - ........6............9......... - ...........4...........0.......1...
    ___________________________________________________________________________________
    ..............................................82........28.........59.......... - ......15..........29...... - ..........17...........3........6....

Avg of last 4 gms:................20.5.......7.........14.8....47.5%....3.8......7.3.....51.7%....4.3........0.8.....1.5..

I agree it needs to be more than a few games. I can’t remember the numbers I predicted for season #’s for Melo.
    I do remember 18.3 pts a game and around 8 three point attempts per game, as well.

He is still getting use to D’Antoni’s system again.....and timing and tendencies of new teammates.

#60 ApacheWarrior, Nov 3, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2018