1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LOL at DJ being over the hill

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by basketballholic, Oct 29, 2018.

1. basketballholic

Defensively yes.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  2. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

I have to agree. Dj rolling to the cup and Clint rolling to the cup are 2 different beasts. Clint is a little better perimeter defender but Dj better at finishing at the rim, rim protection, and rebounding. Might be better to have Dj against most teams but I think GS would be able to play him off the court really easily and thats all the Rockets really care about.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

DJ improving his FT shooting. Credit to him for sticking with that. You could clearly see he was "coasting" in LAC last year.

Will be interesting to see where he goes next year or if Dallas sticks with him.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. basketballholic

Exactly. These guys are human beings. He was coasting. Context matters. The team and the team situation matters. You have to account for that in player evals.

Capela looked artificially good last year, playing for a contender in an ideal role for him, on the last year of his rookie facing free agency, with two future hall-of-famers throwing him lobs...one of them the same guy that threw DJ lobs when DJ was going off and looking great on a playoff team.

Guys kept saying DJ had lost it, was on the downslope. I watched him play and he still had the same athleticism to me. Sure he got beat. But that happens to every NBA player. The best defenders get beat on occasion. He was simply on a bad team with injuries and trades depleting them. Team wasn't rotating and guys weren't giving effort. DJ is a multimillionaire. He wanted out, wanted to get to a playoff team where he could show his value, opt out of his deal and get another long-term deal. When the trade didn't happen...he shut it down basically. There was nothing to play for.

Contrast that with Capela….last season of rookie deal....playing for big money long-term deal...his first shot at true financial freedom...and on a championship contender dialed in on every possession. You have to consider all those factoids in your analysis of players.

Context matters.

Fast forward to this season.....Capela's got his money guaranteed....with a little incentive added to it...but the incentive stretches over the length of the contract...if he don't get the incentives this season...he can possibly get them next year or the year after that ……..and DJ is on an expiring deal playing for next season in a new situation with the rookie of the year feeding him and other youngsters in a better system and with better players than he played with last season....who want to go somewhere. Context matters.

And this is still part of context. DJ is in his physical prime. Yes, he will go into decline eventually. And his physical decline is closer than Capela's physical decline because of their age. But......DJ is significantly longer, significant bulkier, significantly stronger, has significantly more stamina, and....here's the biggie....he's always been more athletic than Capela and is STILL more athletic than Capela. DJ is Capela on steroids. He's what we dream of Capela being defensively....and he's what Capela is offensively....except now he's a superior FT shooter that doesn't have to worry about ducking out of getting fouled and going to the line like CC does...and he's got even more size and springs to finish those lobs than Capela.

Capela...after taking the summer off...looks like he's rolling around in a tub of peanut butter out there. $80 million and 5 years baby. It's obvious that Capela didn't work hard this summer.

That is context.

BigShasta likes this.
  5. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

It's okay you can trust the basketball holic.

After all, "Ben Simmons is simply a 6'10 Rubio." Take that to the bank.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

No no no don't get it twisted... He DID WIN SOMETHING! He actually, finally, possibly, potentially, maybe, conceivably, perhaps, possibly, perchance...GOT SOMETHING CORRECT.

JUST MAYBE. BUT WE'RE COUNTING ON YOU BUD.

I'm gonna throw some sh*t to the wall and see if it sticks too: Michael Strahan doesn't really have a gap between his two front teeth. It's actually just a black hole. I might be right :)

7. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Facts.

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

Sorry, DJ is not a threat from the perimeter. His inability to hit the 3 creates problems with spacing. I've got nothing against him, but he's just not the right kind of center for the modern NBA game.

-- exactly what you told us makes Capela a poor choice for the Rockets

tobster, Deuce, Reeko and 2 others like this.
  9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Yea I don't understand why this thread exist in the first place. Made a thread shtting on capela and why we will never make it into playoffs w/ him as a starting center (which we did) bc he not your ideal modern center, but here u r praising this ole man even though he's pretty similar to capela. Just take the L that u were wrong and move on.

YOLO and topfive like this.
  10. basketballholic

11. basketballholic

That part of what I said. The two of what I said is this, "........If a center can't about the 3-ball then he needs to be a distance making defender and rebounder. Otherwise, he's just another player."

You are either a member of the #FakeNews media or you're running for office.

Like I said.....CONTEXT MATTERS! You can't even quote me in context.

12. omgTHEpotential

Jordan is quite an underrated passer. Love his DHOs too.

13. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

14. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

15. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

16. basketballholic

#56 basketballholic, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  17. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

If we had Dj we would have won at least 2 or 3 more games. Specially the first game we wouldn’t have let Anthony Davis and Julius to dominate that game. Also clippers game was close but we kept missing easy layups n put backs and Capela kept missing more than anyone. Even Harrell dominated against him (twice).
    I never wanted us to pay Clint the contract that he got I was okay with the first offer I felt he could show up if he deserved more on his next contract and also improve on the way. Now he got his pay but he isn’t producing like he is getting payed.
    Dj would be terrific here hopefully we get him here next year. Or here before the trade deadline with Ariza.

Now we got Eric and Capela under performing. At least Eric has some excuse since his name is floating around in all the trades. That messes with your head or doesn’t let you focus just like it did for 2 years with Ryan. But Capela is playing like Ryan and no trade talks about him are being discuss.

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:D

r****ds...

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

dmoneybangbang and LFE171 like this.