1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CAT must be punished by JVG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NBAsticker, Jan 19, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

OMG...you are sooooo right!!!

It takes way morre brains than Cat has to rack up 6 assists from the SG position when your teammates are shooting 49%(wow..they actually shot 49%? :eek: from the amount of bricks I saw go up, I figured it would be much lower)

thanks for your insightful and fact filled post detailing to those loser Cat lovers why he sucks so bad.

oh wait...you didnt make one.....my bad.:rolleyes:

2. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

as an aside for most Cat bashers, just rewatching the Twolves game, after the first quarter Cat has made at least 3 entry passes to Yao.....

3. cloudnine

cloudnine Contributing Member

Cat has 6 assists and he can't / won't pass?

Steve plays a great all around game and all I hear is complaining about a few ill advised shots at ill advised times?

Yao has a bad game (although he did play with more aggression towards the end, the man needs to hold on to the ball quite simply.) and this is everyones fault but his?

JVG is out coached? The grizzlies took some astonishingly stupid shots in the last 2 minutes of that game that you will ever see, jacking up 3's with 20 seconds on the clock. Memphis tried VERY hard to lose that game but pulled it out with a bit of luck and a lot of hustle.

Of every player on the squad, Mobley has made the most changes/concessions in his game. Over all I would say he has been our best player this year. Steve is coming around and Yao continues to improve but the consistent Rocket this year so far has been Cat. We won't go that far with Mobes being your best player but I fail to see how this is his fault.

How much fun is it to watch these games with a pad and pencil, recording mistakes? Going back over the tapes to find faults?

Get lives.

4. Summer Song Giver

How about Yao posting up eight feet from the basket and by the time the ball is swung around to his side of the floor he is 18 feet from the hoop and in the lap of the gaurd who is supposed to pass him the ball, tough to make an entry pass in that case.

5. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Man, you were going great with your post until that last crack...I can have a life and be a fanatic at the same time thank you very much.

but you misunderstand why I request people write down the times of plays they want to b**** about...it is so I dont have to rewatch the game a dozen times to find the play to shoot down the unwarrantted b****ing.

In case you arent familiar with my postin habits...I spend ALOT of time here defending the team...not b****ing about them.

and if there is a problem that needs to be analyzed and talked about...how can we do that without reviewing game tape?

I understand where you are coming from, but to look down your nose at people who like to discuss specific plays and games just because you neither feel the need to or like to is unnecessary.

6. NBAsticker

NBAsticker Member

I would like to say again that this post is not aimed at anti-CAT.
    Actually I love CAT very much. I just point out what I observed in the last two games----CAT ignored YAO at the offense end. I want CAT to play like a team player.

Even if I cannot expect this team to enter playoff spot at this moment, I am sure that this team can work together, if only JVG give players warnings and roar out a ball movement before the comming game starts. Please read an article by YANG Li for some information. I am quite sure that the information exposed in that paper comes from YAO himself. Whenever JVG roared out to share ball, ROX would play great game!

This team made the same mistakes for many times. Without sharing ball well, ROX may win some lottery games, but that is not enough for a playoff spot.

If I am right, the records of ROX is 2 (W)/13(L) if ROX were behind the opponents at the first QTR. I think that such stats tell us many more about ROX's playing styles......

7. cloudnine

I wasn't trying to be insuting, nor was i talking to you specifcally so sorry if I offended. I was speaking to the impression I get that alot of posters seem to over anylize every play in every game. It escapes me how one can enjoy the experience while constantly looking (hoping?) for mistakes.

8. SmeggySmeg

why the frick don't you look for things the players do well instead of just the occasional missed pass or shot

9. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Dumbasses, gotta love 'em! :D

10. cloudnine

smeg, have you been reading what I'm saying? The only problem I have is with the endless complaining around here. Ithink that both our guards have made obvious strides but of course there will be a little backsliding. Yao is a work in progress, but I have seen nothing to make me think that one day he will not dominate.Van Gundy seems to have figured out that it is not a cardinal sin to use Yao in the high post. I like what see development -wise, I never thought things would change overnight.

Incedently, I don't think anyone will be looking forward to playing this team come playoff time.

Nine

11. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Not one shooting guard in the league averages as many assists as Cat had last night. The only specific instance of him ignoring Yao that anyone could point out turned out to be bogus. Your complaint doesn't make any sense.

12. kaisuny

kaisuny Contributing Member

You have every feature of YOB. When you cannot argue, your quote irrelevant things to cover it up. :confused:

Don't try every means to defend bad players. Otherwise Rocket players will be spoiled and they will not rethink and improve after each loss game. :(

If we forget them, they will keep their style until they were dropped out of the playoff again and agian.:cool:

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I am not a YOB. I love Yao. I hope he does well.

But I also realize that he is not perfect.

Some nights he doesn't have it, like last night, then it is up to the other players to carry the team.

It's not irrelevant to state that Yao is not ready to be the primary force yet; it was obvious last night that he was struggling with his conditioning and with defending quicker players.

That's not bashing. It's not bashing to state that Steve needs to take better care of the ball, either, or to state that Cat needs to have better shot selection.

It's bashing when you singlehandedly finger a player for a loss, oblivious to every other factor.

14. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

I agree with your calcs but I think +/- is overrated for this game. The Grizzlies' second unit played awful. If Hubie hadn't gone with his usual substitution patterns (meaning, he left Gasol, Miller, Williams in longer), this game wouldn't have been as close as it was. From what I remember, Yao rarely played against the Grizzlies' second unit.

The only time I got pissed off at Mobes was on Yao's offensive foul in the 3rd. It was on the left block facing the basket with Mobes in the corner and Yao on the block. Yao was being fronted by his defender but Yao was able to seal him off at the top of the key. No pass. Then Mobley throws it out to Taylor at the elbow. Taylor throws it back to Mobley. All this time, Yao's working his butt off, getting position. Finally, Yao is called for a foul for using his arm to fend off the defender. That sequence was pretty pathetic and if I'm Yao and JVG, I do get mad because I feel the offensive foul was called because Mobley didn't pass him the ball. I don't have a problem most of the time when Mobley doesn't pass Yao the ball because he is double teamed or fronted effectively. But when your big man is working hard, get him the ball!!

15. kaisuny

kaisuny Contributing Member

Yes. this post is convincing and I withdraw my earlier statement.

But do you think passing is really a major problem in Rocket hindering other players' improvement including Yao. I think this thread starter indeed would like to trigger this point.

:rolleyes:

16. Deepsouth

Deepsouth Member

Fact always win argument. Five years no play off tells everything.

17. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Shouldn't you be pissed at Taylor for that play (God knows you can't be pissed at Yao for ACTUALLY COMMITING THE OFFENSIVE FOUL), since it was his pass back to Mobley that preceeded the foul call?

18. SmeggySmeg

Be done with and punish him good and proper, go old school on him JVG

give him the

Cat-O-Nine-Tails

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Yeah, they are SO cute when they are little...

20. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Thats the play that I linked to in my above post...go up there and click on the link and re-watch it...early in the play, when Cat has the ball in the corner, Yao does not have good position yet...that is why he had to pass to Mo at the elbow...

Mo was obviously looking to Yao at that point..you can see him looking down to Yao waiting for him to get good position ...it is obvious from watching ti.

He never had clear position without the player being at his side...to pass to him at that point would have resulted in a turnover(steal)

deepsouth,

look at the players that the Rockets have had for the past 4 years before spouting off that tired "no playoffs 5 years crap"
    Noone denies that SF and Cat were not enough to do the job without some decent help...and until last year, they did not have any help.
    Some teams have to rebuild at some point...and 5 years ago, and 4 yeasrs ago, and 3 years ago they were still rebuilding the team...
    I know I shouldnt bother pointing this out to you, cause even if you saw what I mean...you wouldnt admit it...it doesnt fit in to your guard bashing world view...:rolleyes: