1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Toronto, San Antonio talking Kawhi-DeRozan Swap (UPDATE: Done deal)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DaBeard, Jul 18, 2018.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Ok then good luck on the rebuild.

All I know is I would flip out if Morey traded Harden for nothing and told me by doing so he just jumpstarted the rebuild of the team.

2. sew

sew Member

Lol. If Derozan were on Harden’s level, you’re god damn right I would be pissed. I’m sorry dude, derozan just can’t carry a team like Harden or Kawhi can.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah I know that but no one star in the league can carry a team anymore you need multiple stars and Derozan IS a star. If you got a blue chip rookie for Derozan you may have a point but losing him for nothing when Kawhi walks aways is just a bad move.

4. sew

sew Member

You keep saying that we're 'losing him for nothing,' when that is literally not the case -- even if Kawhi leaves. I discussed this a couple of posts back.

It is what it is though, you're entitled to your opinion.

5. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

You can't compare those two situations. This team has a good chance at upsetting GSW and making it to the finals with Harden. Toronto has a much lower chance at upsetting Celtics/76ers with DeRozan.

Last year, LeBron with an awful roster SWEEPED the Raptors. Imagine the outcome of Houston vs Cleveland in the finals. It would probably be a gentleman's sweep. HOU with Harden almost beat GSW, while Toronto couldn't muster one win against last year's Cleveland.

6. omgTHEpotential

Yeah, DeRozan only looks like a 'star' during the regular season. He's not anywhere close to that level during the playoffs.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

What you just said is it will open up capspace if kawhi leaves thats still nothing since Toronto isn't exactly a premium destination thats what made the irony of Derozan since he was the one guy who wanted to stay and Raptors got rid of him.

Bottomline is Raptors still lose Derozan for nothing if Kawhi leaves. If they traded Derozan for another asset like a pick or a rookie then at least they could have used him for the rebuild instead of starting fron 0.

8. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

Good posts. Its good for the BBS to have other teams fans who can contribute.

Been watching a few raptors games so far. Rooting for them too over everyone else in the East, specially the Celts. F Ainge.

B-Bob likes this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lebron's win is more psychological than anything else, Toronto had a better record than Boston so with Lebron now gone we could have seen what they can really do.

Anyway Raptors now are beasting with Kawhi maybe he stays in Toronto and makes Ujiri look like a genius.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

You’re being too harsh imo.

Contracts aside Toronto got the better end of this deal. They got the better primary player and better secondary player.

Yes the contract is an issue. But at some point you have to say I’m getting value right now.... for this season. The thought of everything g being about how many extra years do I get as if this season doesn’t matter doesn’t make sense to me.

It’s refreshing in that it is the complete opposite but also similarly potential upside approach. The Raptors have the potential to make the Finals. If goats fly... maybe even win it. But even making it is a boon for that fan base.

If Kawhi wants to leave then, then he leaves then.

omgTHEpotential, roslolian and fba34 like this.
  11. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I say Kawhi ends up staying. I can’t see him leaving the Raps if they reach the finals, and I really do believe they will do just that. Nevermind the money.

This deal was definitely a great deal for Toronto. I’m reading about people getting fleeced in other deals and now I’m thinking Pop got fleeced. If you’re going to lose a star I say you make future assets the priority, and not a star who just isn’t as good.

I live in Toronto. I can’t stand the raps. But no doubt this was a good move and the right move.

omgTHEpotential likes this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

I don't think Pops got fleeced look at what Knicks got for Melo or Sacramento got for Cousins or even Clippers got for Cp3, you get cents on the dollar everytime unless the other team is superdumb like Billy King.

Kawhi is on a 1 year deal nobody is gonna give up a high pick or blue chip rookies for him a guy like Derozan is a steal that's basically the same reason the Rox got Cp3 on a max contract, at some point you just need good talent no matter the price. Spurs still have Horford now they have Derozan they just need to convince a 3rd dude in FA.

13. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

*Aldridge
    They don’t have cap space for a max free agent and even if they unloaded to get one it would have to be a top 10 player.

The Raps are going to contend for a championship this year while at the same time being able to preserve Kawhi. Do you realize how unreal he’s going to be in the playoffs? They lost one good player to contend for a title. That’s a no brainer. And re-signing him would just be the cherry on top.

Again, I’m quite sure they will get the number 1 seed while playing Kawhi somewhere around 65 games. Their first round opponent is going to be an absolute joke, and I’m pretty sure they’ll be a lot better than their second round opponent. Boston won’t be a cake walk but I’ve always believed Toronto is better. Meanwhile Golden State could face say the Rockets, Lebron and the Jazz on their way to the finals.

Two years ago Kawhi was playing the best basketball in the playoffs over anyone else before Zaza took him out.

omgTHEpotential and fba34 like this.
  14. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

toronto looks like the best team in the league right now, toronto gets the best of this deal, man i wish the rockets can get their hands on Kawhi, imagine beard, cp3 and kawhi, GS will beome history if that happens

15. JW86

JW86 Member

So what’s the verdict so far? To me the retaining of OG and Siakam, but also the Danny Green ‘throw-in’ is still a headscratcher, I expected him to still be decent and it seems like he has been. Kawhi was always the better of the two and a risk worth taking, the results speak for themselves so far. You have to take risks, especially as Toronto.

Any fans take?

16. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

Amazing... Kwahi looks like the best damn player in the league and its not even close. Both ends of the the guy is just absolutely ridiculous. System player... lmao.

Its still early and championships are not won in November but they look to be a real contender and I can't think of any team aside from GSW I would rank above them.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The verdict is the Raptors are trucking people.

And Nick Nurse is pushing all the right buttons as a first year head coach. To the point he is ALTERNATING Ibaka and JV in the starting lineup C spot depending on the matchup. Noone in the NBA is doing that.

Team is trucking people even without KL in the game.

omgTHEpotential, JW86 and Nook like this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

This...... a very solid and overall talented Raptors team added a top 5-6 player in the league........ they are going to smash a lot of people and they have a lot of flexibility too.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Why did Darnell Morei not hire Nick Nurse? Another Viper that got away!

omgTHEpotential and BigShasta like this.
  20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

And look what Nurse is doing with Ibaka. He has completely revitalized him. Just goes to show, sometimes a player can be brought back into a different system. Not as many 3's.