1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3 Games In: Is it time to adjust expecations?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Oct 22, 2018.

?

How are you feeling after 3 games?

Poll closed Oct 29, 2018.
  1. We aren't "the same team" and are not as good as last year

44.0%
  2. This is a 3 game sample size that means nothing, I still believe we are as good or better

14.7%
  3. I'm somewhere between these two options

37.3%
  4. I abstain, courteously.

4.0%
  1. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Very cool, we have found an ability to play 22 games while only playing 20!

That will definitely give the Rockets a lot of opportunity to sharpen up.

My expectation is that this team needs a roster move to fix the lack of options at the 3. Otherwise, I think this team needs to move Eric into the starting lineup.

D-rock and justtxyank like this.
  2. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

New math?

D-rock, justtxyank and treyk3 like this.
  3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Was there humor intended with the math of this post, or.....?

Anyway, we're not as good as last year. We need to shore up the starting small forward and better backups for CP3 and Clint "Got-Paid!" Capela. That way, the bench doesn't turn so JV when we're missing an important player.

I suspect that will happen, because it has to happen. The team's defense is awful. H-o-r-r-i-f-I-c, "awful".

4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

5. Caesar

Caesar Member

This feels like the 2016-2017 Rockets all over again. 55 wins. High octane, fast paced offense with horrible defense. The potential to lose to a Kawhi less Spurs type of team.

It doesn't look pretty. Sure, they can recover and win 60+ based on offensive potential. But come playoff time, that lack of defense will be our doom and i'm starting to highly doubt our ability to get back to the WCF.....AS IS.

I think come end of the month. You have a very clear and telling view of what this team's identity will be and Morey will realize how stupid it is to not pull a trade for Jimmy over a 33 year old career journeyman like PJ Tucker. If were just waiting on Chriss and Knight trade eligibility, fine. But this team clearly needs Jimmy. Even then, i fear losing Gordon will never be replicated especially by Melo who just doesn't fit in so far. If Morey doesn't give a damn about coaching and losing Bzdelk then we need studs like Jimmy along with CP3 to lead our defense.

Gotta un**** this mess quick. Were in dangerous territory with Utah, Clippers, Blazers, Pacers(2x), Spurs, Thunder, Nuggets Warriors in the next 11 games. You don't want to have to come from behind and end up with a middle to lower playoff seed and play round 1 at Utah, OKC, Portland or even LA with all their home court advantages. NO looks like a dangerous early round match up too.

6. BigBum

BigBum Member

Play like this kind of defense, someone like Pelicans or Spurs will beat us in the 1st or 2nd round playoffs.

7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

We are clearly and blatantly not as good as we were last year judging by our approach to the first three games. The defense is absolutely broken.

Did we go through a bad stretch last year? Of course, the 5 game losing streak was our lowest point. But it's natural to have low points here and there throughout a long season with the amount of injuries we sustained last year. But to come out on the first three games of the season with the type of "effort" we've had on defense says a lot.

Obviously there's a chance to right the ship. If we can get back the intensity, focus and drive we had most of last season, I believe this team can be just as good, talent wise.

8. BigBum

BigBum Member

Unpopular opinion,
    I'd love to play GS in the first round. It just proves that we can beat GS all-star team when we are healthy.

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@J.R. gunning for the all-time "use of spoilers" award

hakeem94 and J.R. like this.
  10. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

this is not the real team. the real team is the one that's assembled after morey makes a trade and picks up a buyout. he's just seeing what these other guys can do and giving them a chance. there's no doubt in my mind that he's going to add a high impact player somehow, someway. Some 3 and D player will be here.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

Warriors just lost to the Nuggets and were a Jonas Jerebko buzzer beater tip-in away from being 1-2 along with us. Sample size is definitely too small, but that doesn't mean there aren't reasons to be concerned.

One thing that really stands out to me is Capela's conditioning. He got paid the big bucks and needs to be a guy that can give us at least 30 quality minutes, especially considering the state of our backup C depth. That's just what is expected of an~$18 million per year player. We heard countless quotes about Clint being our "anchor" last year, and he was a huge reason for our success in the first 2 rounds of the playoffs, outplaying quality centers. I'm not sure what's going on but he just doesn't look the same so far. I know it's early and he will play himself into game shape, but he's clearly just not there yet. At times it honestly looks like he can barely dunk. He's still getting his to an extent on offense but that lack of vertical takes away from his defensive presence and his rebounding. Clint should never be out-rebounded by Danilo Galinari, nor should he be out-rebounded by Montrezl Harrel (who played 9 fewer minutes!). Clint is a really down to earth guy and I'm glad he got his big contract, but I have to say I'm really disappointed with him so far. I've always heard he's a hard working guy so maybe there's something else going on, but he's got to be better, especially considering how small our "power forwards" are.

My next concern is with how Melo is fitting in with the offense. I said this in another thread but I think we need him more in the corner, less on the wing. Yes, Melo has slowed down considerably, but shooting is the last thing to leave a player. We aren't going to get all-star melo, but I am still confident that he can be a knock-down shooter, especially if he's getting open looks in the corner. As of now, he's just getting the ball on the wing with a defender ready. His touches are down so you can tell he wants to do something with the ball once he gets it. Getting some open looks from the corner and seeing some shots go down will do wonders for his entire game. Defensively he obviously leaves some to be desired but that was expected.

There's plenty more to talk about but those are my two biggest gripes so far. If we're going to go small, we need Capela playing at an elite level. Plain and simple. If we want "Olympic" Melo, both he and the team need to do a better job of putting him in position to succeed. The good news is these are both very fixable problems. Way too early to panic but fair to be concerned.

12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

THIS^

13. macan

macan Member

west finals or bust...

14. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Melo is a downgrade over Ariza and Luc point blank

15. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Our rebounding sucks. It’s really bad. Like awful.

We play zero defense.

Our chemistry is bad.

Our lineups are bad.

Our roster composition is bad.

[p]en155, MCW, and fat melo are all complete flops.

Capela stopped playing defense.

We lost key cogs in Ariza and Luc

This team isn’t gonna do **** this year unless we change up the roster. You heard it here first. Take notes.

J.R. likes this.
  16. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

At least our big 3 are finally getting theirs, but an even bigger problem than our defense (because with these new rules, NOBODY is playing defense anymore) is our rebounding. Maybe the Clippers and Nawlins are amazing rebounding teams (definitely for the latter, maybe for the former), but this team so far gives 2015-16 a run for its money for its inability to rebound DESPITE having a long, athletic center known for rebounding. The worst part is that I don't think its effort, there are no reports (so far :p) of a division in the locker room or resentment against coaching, I think that Ennis and Melo are just THAT BAD at defense, NOTHING will improve the defense outside of a roster addition (please trade for jimmy).

17. jayfree

jayfree Member

I am really hoping the Phoenix Rockets take out the Warriors today. Ariza, Caanan, Anderson and Daniels are ready to kill.

I don't think they are as good as the Los Angeles Rockets though, Bev, Luc, Lou and Montrezl

D-rock likes this.