1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets have eyes on Jimmy B

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Sep 18, 2018.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

September 18th:

Morey: "Okay Tom, we're willing to give up Gordon, Tucker and a couple of 1sts for Butler"
    Thibs: "Ha! that's a **** offer"

Wolves can't get any better offers

October 9th:

Thibs: "Okay Daryl we'll take your original offer"
    Morey: "F that. You couldn't even get Brooklyn to send you Caris Levert."

Richie_Rich, DonKnock and alethios like this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Isn’t it crazy how fast things change? Less than a year ago PJ + EG for Butler would have been a no brainer. People would be laughing at Minny. Now if it happened the media would be like “Houston shouldn’t have messed with the roster, they were one game away last year” even though all summer they were saying how we backtracked.

Also, even if we were willing to give up EG and PJ it’s not definite that a deal would happen. Thibs could just be playing an awful game of poker.

4. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Hopes he practices and in a day or two, Wolves sends out injury report stating Butler has a strained xx and is sidelined for 3 weeks.

After October 31st, we're in the drivers seat :cool:

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. thegame_2234

thegame_2234 Contributing Member

Let's Go Houston don't quit on the team yet Let's GOOOOOOOOOOOO Astros Fever

DonKnock likes this.
  6. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Tucker, Gordan and a couple picks is worth it.
    You can rotate NeNe Capela Chris's and find someone off the streets.
    With four guys rotating C and PF that would be ideal.

If you get Butler you potentially have

Chris Paul PG
    James Harden SG
    Jimmy Butler SF
    Carmelo Anthony PF
    Clint Capela C

With Ennis Chriss NeNe and others rotating depending on the match up

7. baubo

baubo Member

I personally would do Tucker and EG easily. But I wonder what else is involved. If we have to take bacon Dieng who has 3 ghastly years left, and Butler is going to bolt in the offseason, then suddenly it looks kind of bad.

IMO it all hinges on Butler having way too high an expectation on his next contract and there are probably teams willing to give it to him.

8. apatel123

apatel123 Member

Thicc = Draymond

He irreplacable IMO. Gordon + fillers or nothing

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Butler can easily replace Gordon, and provide the much needed scoring and defense that Gordon gives this team. He is easily an upgrade over EG. The same can be said of Butler and PJ. But, if the question is, is Butler an upgrade over EG and PJ the answer IMHO is no. While Butler is a marathon man, who probably can grind every bit as Harden can, asking him to play both the roles of EG and PJ is a task I don't think he can do. Like, can you see Butler being a spark on that second unit while still guarding the best player on the other team? Can Butler guard 1 through 5 while still finding his own on offense? I don't see it. I see why Minnesota in combo with a 1st rounder likes that deal. I don't blame them. While this is a superstar league, you still need role players to depend on. Of course, I could just be rationalizing the reasons to keep players I like, but I still find it hard to see Jimmy B replacing both those guys. I felt the same way about Melo last year too.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Appreciate this post. Things change and some sources have different info. Cyberx could have "doubled down" on his stance.....but instead when he got new information.....reported the change.

Refreshing.

12. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

Still cyberx > Lholic

DonKnock and LFE171 like this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Minnesota will at some point stop ****ing around & will get a deal done with Miami.

Miami had softened on including guard Josh Richardson in versions of a possible deal for Butler, only to recoil once Minnesota pushed late for a sweeter return on the four-time All-Star forward, league sources said. Richardson, 25, is considered a strong, young two-way player. He averaged 12.9 points in 81 starts last season. He's in the first season of a four-year, $42 million contract.

Outside of the Heat, the Timberwolves have had no serious, active talks ongoing with any other team recently, league sources said. Butler has told Minnesota that he'll leave in free agency in July -- and wants a trade now.

Owner Glen Taylor has pushing president of basketball operations and coach Tom Thibodeau and general manager Scott Layden to find a deal sooner rather than later for Butler, league sources said.

malakas likes this.
  14. steddinotayto

I think we need to ask Clutch to have an automatic signature/disclaimer attached to all verified insiders just stating that the information they're sharing is what they heard and that, just like anything in life, things change so don't be a jerk and hold them accountable for what was heard. This would definitely make it easier on @Codman @cyberx

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It wouldn't change things. People believe what they want. People like to double down.

DonKnock and steddinotayto like this.
  16. steddinotayto

Tom: "Hello Pat? Heeeyyyy budddy! So about Jimmy....can we get back to the business at hand and get this deal finalized?"
    Riley: "Are you still insisting on getting Richardson, Bam, and a few 1st Rounders back? Even after combing through the league for a 'better' offer?"
    Tom:"................yes?"

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You mean Minnesota called Houston and leaked it to the media so that Miami would come back to the table? The Timberwolves are just using the Rockets?!?!

If this is the case (and I'm just filling in the blanks, right or wrong), it wouldn't be the first time. Wouldn't be the last.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Everyone uses the media to drum up better offers. How many "last call" tweets have we seen via Woj posts?

DonKnock and Nook like this.
  19. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

This is absolutely happening.

Hes more than capable of being the bench spark leading a second unit. Hes been the number 1 option for years now.

He was a legit MVP candidate last year as the number 1 guy. He is more capable on running the lead than gordon.

Yes he could also handle guarding the #1 guy on the opposite side. He has also done that for years while being the "guy" also. Hes more than capable and it would benefit him not having to do everything on offense.

He can guard 1-5 as well as tucker can but significantly better on the perimeter. Tuck better at guarding the rim and the 5, while butler is much more capable guarding the perimeter and the point.

It's not tucker+ego vs butler, its tucker+ego vs butler+playerX.

None the less pairing the all defense team of butler with great defender tuck is salivating and likely why he wont be included.

DonKnock, jch1911 and Vivi like this.
  20. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I'm not sure why you're so defensive about this, but OK.