1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2018] Houston drivers are getting worse...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Oct 4, 2018.

1. theimpossibles1

Since we are venting...

*When I am trying to get in the left turn lane and the car in front of me has 10+ feet in front of them and is completely oblivious to everything around them. I swear some people do this on purpose, inconveniencing other drivers gets them off I guess.

*When i'm approaching a red light in the right lane, with my blinker on, and there's one car in the left/middle lane at an intersection, and some douche approaching the red light jerks into the right lane (clogging it for all right turners) just so they don't have to be behind ONE car when the light turns green.

Sajan likes this.
  2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Has anyone here ever been unfortunate enough to see that a wreck is going to happen? As in, you see that someone is ****ing up and it's going to cause a wreck and you just have to sit there and watch.

I had this happen to me. Traffic getting on to I-10 around the BP campus some years ago. The entrance ramp was backed up and we were stopped for a moment. I look in my rearview mirror and see a car coming up at me full speed with the driver looking down, oblivious to the traffic. Nothing I could do but sit there and get slammed into; I had maybe 2 seconds where I was like "sheeeeiiiiiiitttt" and then it happened. After impact when we got out the guy driving was trying be buddy-buddy with me. I am a laid back and forgiving person, but right after you hit a guy going 40+ mph is not the time to bond.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

My favorite version of this happened to my dad (and nobody was hurt, luckily). It was a rare icy day in eastern TX and he was crossing an iced overpass. The person driving in front of him freaked out, braked hard and lost control. soon, she was facing him and sliding down the other side of the overpass, with a petrified look on her face. They had several seconds with my dad trying to reduce his speed (but going downhill on an icy overpass). Sure enough, as soon as her car got traction, her car gunned forward and hit dad head on. Slow-motion failure.

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

This is the Golden Rule while driving.
    Right
    Somewhat... just limit the amount you impede merging traffic.
    Somewhat.. good lane-changing is skillful and awesome.
    Right.. Golden Rule things

5. delta69er

delta69er Member

Last week, I got sideswiped by this guy merging into my lane (Pierce Street, heading to UH). Long story short, turned out he was an "excluded driver" on his insurance policy so his insurance company doesn't have to pay me anything and the damage is too insignificant for any lawyer to take my case...:mad:

6. body slam

body slam Member

this one comes from yesterday

just because the light is green does not mean you get to block the intersection

jsingles, DonkeyMagic and Sajan like this.
  7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

My biggest one these days is merging. Merging is not hard and if you're holding up traffic to merge before you're supposed to, you're doing it very wrong and that's a big source of traffic.

I want to mention two specific spots in Houston that I see regularly where crashes nearly occur because people aren't paying attention:

1. Turning left onto the 69 frontage road from Shephard. There are two lanes that turn into three. There is a clear dotted line that shows the far left lane has acess to the two left lanes on the frontage and the other lane has to turn into the far-right lane on the frontage. Nearly 100% of the time I'm turning there, the person that should be turning into far-right lane cuts across the dotted line into the other lanes.

2. Post Oak at the Waterwall. There's a red light, people. When I turn out of my office on my green light, there is always a car flying through southbound. If anyone's trying to cross the street, they have to fear for their lives. It's awesome.

Some pet peeves here I'll disagree with:

- changing lanes. Yeah when it's bumper to bumper, it makes sense not to. But most times it's not. Most times these days you have people on their phone not keeping up with traffic when it moves. I'm either getting around that person or taking advantage of the space they've left.

- entering/exiting freeways. That saves a whole bunch of time and I've even had it recommended to me by Google Maps. I regularly do it at the Voss and Chimney Rock exits on 10.

Sajan likes this.
  8. marky :)

marky :) Member

Yeah I witnessed one on 610 and 59 near Meyerland. After living in Meyerland for 2 years, surprisingly only saw one in that cluster ****.

Traffic was free flowing on 610 except(of course) the 2 lanes to merge onto 59 S/N. The lanes were at a complete stop and I see a lady going 50mphish slam right into the stopped lane. Literally nothing you could do other than watch it.

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I saw a similar accident where the ramp was backed up and I noticed a car not slowing down until it was too late and rear ended someone. It was a the end of the day on Friday...not a good way to start the weekend.

I was part of an accident where I was approaching an intersection while I had a green light. There was a car from the opposite direction waiting to make a left, across my lane. As I'm about to enter the intersection they inexplicably start to turn left. I hit the brakes but it was going to happen and I just remember saying the same thing..."ohhhhh ****". I was in a big truck with a grill guard and her car was completely totaled. Once we pulled the guard away from the tires, I was able to drive home. No body damage.

I was part of a similar incident but it involved a car hydroplaning. Headed down 59 past Rosenburg and it was a heavy rain so most cars had their hazards on and were creeping along at 40MPH or so. Then this tool bag comes hauling ass in a big truck, 70+, on the left SHOULDER, not even the lane. As he passes us he starts to hydroplane. I think he tried to get into the lane but the truck starts to turn clockwise to the point his truck is directly in front of our car, facing us. I could see the guys face and his eyes were the size of saucers. Luckily the truck continues to rotate and slide across the other lane. Also luckily no one was in that lane. He ends up doing a complete 360 until he careens off into the grass on the right side of the road. What a complete idiot.

B-Bob likes this.
  10. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

I would agree with all of this except for the driving in neighborhoods part. People shouldn't be driving fast through neighborhoods. To me, it's a sign of disrespect to everyone living there. 20 mph -- even 10 mph -- is not unreasonable. This is where people are living, walking, riding bikes -- it's a living area, not a highway. And passing someone in a neighborhood is gauche, to say the least. More people need to take a chill pill when driving, especially in neighborhoods.

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I saw your mom on the cauche last night.

12. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

That's actually sort of funny, except a) it's juvenile (although maybe that's what makes it funny) and more importantly b) did you go grave digging? Because that's where she's been for the past couple of years.

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

My mom had a tough life as a grave digger too.

Respek.

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Thank you. Always happy to get pointers on elegant adultery.

15. body slam

body slam Member

Why do people feel the need to drive like a fool when it is raining?

16. Sajan

Sajan Member

Mandatory viewing material for houston drivers.

17. jsingles

jsingles Member

I'm seeing the blocking of intersections more and more nowadays. The traffic isn't moving, it's 50 cars long so you know it won't change where you are at the drop of a dime. But f--- it I'm just going to pull forward and stop dead-middle of the intersection and stare around like I have no idea what's happening when people start honking as I'm blocking their ability to move. So, so many times I want to just gun it and smash straight into them.

Barker @ Queenston
    Wortham @ 1960

Are both daily occurrences both in the morning and anytime between 3:30 and 6:00.

18. Sajan

Sajan Member

Happens everyday here..

19. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

If you want to torture someone......... just tell them to meet you on Bellaire during 4-5pm.

WORST DRIVERS EVER!

Sajan and Torn n Frayed like this.
  20. Sajan

Sajan Member