1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets have eyes on Jimmy B

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Sep 18, 2018.

1. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Harden is probably more friends with Butler than he is with Tucker. Better than or equal than. Trading a friend for a friend.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. BasketballMind

One of those fillers might be Gerald Green. Gordon and Green give Minnesota two great three point shooters to surround Mr. Super Max Contract with.

3. gravityonme

gravityonme Member

But players of Melo's caliber can't stay on the floor with GSW in a 7 game series. Very few players can. expecting to get that level of player after exhausting assets for Butler. It's a serious gamble.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. TreP3

TreP3 Contributing Member

Nah, thankfully Gerald has a no-trade clause due to the one-year bird restriction, and I don't see any scenario in which he willingly leaves Houston.

Game7, Why not?, BigMaloe and 6 others like this.
  5. BasketballMind

Oh wow thanks for that info.

6. Granville

Granville Member

7. Vivi

Vivi Member

Pisses me off of some scrubs don't reconize quality..."30 years old Gordon...", i wonder if those idiots think they can get back Simmons, or if they think getting back a Whiteside/Tyler Johnson is better than getting back Gordon...smh...

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Man...woke up and saw the cyberx posts, Wolfson and Berman tweets...how in the hell i'm suppose to not rise my expectations? :(

9. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

The Mark Berman tweet is interesting. I am inclined to think that he is being fed this info by Minnesota to bring better offers to the table. What may help the Rockets is that the LA teams have their on bigger fish on next year's free agent market.

amaru and daywalker02 like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

11. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

If we don’t land Butler,
    “Houston was the front runner. All sources were right. Another team just stepped up..............all sources were right”

matchesmalone likes this.
  12. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Why I don’t think it’ll happen: in the past 24 hours ESPN did segments about Jimmy Butler with the Rockets possibilty, and a report about how EG probably won’t extend has also surfaced. So naturally people think this rumour is heating up. The reality of the situation is our offer standing last night is probably the exact same as our original offer last week, and if it isn’t, with our roster and salary restrictions it could only improve marginally. So unless our wishful thinking that Minnesota shopped our offer around and finally gave up and said “f*ck it we’ll take it”, we could be in for a disappointment.

Just what I think with all those factors at play. I hope I’m wrong and we only give up EG for him. We gon see

amaru and rockets1995 like this.
  13. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

Think we can agree nobody knows for sure what the offer is. It is all speculation, other than EGo is involved.

I think the biggest hold up is Thibs not wanting to move JB. Not the offers, nobody is going to pay top dollar, so the offers a little. . That is why Rockets went to Taylor. No reports of other teams going to “Dad”. So we are serious in our effort, and we think we are competitive. Let’s see what shacks out. Enjoy the ride.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

The Rockets as currently constructed can absolutely compete with the Warriors. But the wild card is Cousins. If he can be productive by the playoffs, we might be ****ed. I love PJ but if Butler is available for him you add that 3rd star without question.

Remember when people thought the Clippers raped us in the Paul trade?

You can always fill out the roster with some guys from Katy, Pasadena, Sugarland, and anywhere else that apparently isn’t Houston.

15. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Option 1: SAC-MN-HOU (the "simple" trade)
    SAC: Dieng (MN) + HOU 2019 1st + rights to Gentille (HOU) + HOU 2020 2nd
    MN: Gordon (HOU) + Cauley-Stein (SAC) + HOU 2021 1st (top 15 protected) + Nene (HOU)
    HOU: Butler (MN) + Tyus Jones (MN) into TPE
    Houston waits 2 days & then trades Chriss for Nene

Option 2: SAC-MN-HOU-IND (more "complicated", but probably happier all around)
    SAC: Dieng (MN) + HOU 2019 1st + rights to Gentille (HOU) + Nene (HOU)
    IND: Gordon (HOU) + Randolph (SAC) + rights to Vince Edwards (HOU)
    MN: Thaddeus Young (IND) + Bojan Bogdanovic (IND) + Cauley-Stein (SAC) + HOU 2021 1st (top 15 protected) + HOU 2020 2nd
    HOU: Butler (MN) + Tyus Jones (MN) into TPE
    Houston waits 2 days & then trades Chriss for Nene

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dun you think it is a bit early to discuss who hangs with whom? GSW has won multiple titles in recent years, ball is in their hands, new cards will be dealt out.

We talk come trade deadline.

17. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

The problem is playing Cousins means Iggy isn't playing.

The reason why Cousins shouldn't scare Rockets is because Cousins only improves the Warriors' depth but their core remains fundamentally unchanged. Cousins is still historically a very inefficient scorer for a big man, so the Rockets would be happy if Cousins took shots away from Curry, Thompson or Durant. Defensively, Cousins was always a liability. He has massive effort issues, and even if he tries he is extremely limited.

Now, the Warriors have Cousins with a historically career altering injury. His defense was bad before, and it will be even worse now. Warriors needed Iggy to slow down Harden and CP3, but if Cousins plays over Iggy our backcourt would absolutely feast on Cousins.

Why not?, BamBam and hakeem94 like this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

THIS

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lot of negatives about Cousins.

Still an Allstar on a 5.3 million deal, just slightly more than old Carmelo.

Precisely why I dislike the offseason, people and media are jumping to conclusions left and right.

Also, Cousins could also come off the bench in the playoffs. They can mix up their lineups as they did before.

Kevon Looney started games.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

been a lurker this entire thread
    [​IMG]

do we have jimmy yet...???

JVL713, fryjol7, BaselineFade and 3 others like this.