1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Butler Willing to Expand List if Wolves Can Make a Deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DonKnock, Sep 19, 2018.

1. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Random: I really want an NBA hard knocks type show or a livestream that follows Morey everyday

MghtyPtrck, Red Nation RGV and today like this.
  2. j@amc

j@amc Member

Someone needs to tell Pat Riley: you either move forward with Richardson as your future SF or get out of the Butler trade talks. These players do actually play the same position.

3. mockster

mockster Member

Butler stated when he was younger in a question type interview what is one thing he wouldn’t wear and his answer was “a Miami Heat jersey”

4. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

5. izeroi

izeroi Member

He also said he wants to win....

6. jsmee2000

7. jsmee2000

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I get the allure of Butler, I really do. I just don't see him going to a good team. Maybe OKC comes in and snatches him the same way they got Melo?

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

The Rockets kinda make so much sense...i mean, they're the only credible contender with some decent to good assets to trade without having to give a **** about losing a player, picks, future assets anyway...Miami for example would've have to realistically lose his best player/contract and another player (which can't be a bad contract) just to match Butler's salary...and i think they have no 1st rounders to trade (?)...if Butler bolts after they trade Richardson and Winslow/Adebayo or 1st rounder and Olynyk for him well, that would be a disaster.

Even though, to be fair, it would be a bad scenario for us too since we would've to trade Gordon...but at least we wouldn't be left with a super mediocre roster.

s3ts, mike2k132, j@amc and 2 others like this.
  10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

That's what I've been thinking too because they do have some players (Roberson? Grant? Shroeder?) that would make Minnesota blink. However, if they do sign Butler to a max deal that's going to be about $130 million committed to FOUR players (Westbrook, George, Butler, Adams) next season. That's insane.

s3ts and DonKnock like this.
  11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Miami has almost nothing left in the draft cupboard for the next few seasons lol:

Outgoing picks:

2019 second round draft pick to Minnesota
    Miami's 2019 2nd round pick to Minnesota (via Charlotte) [Charlotte-Miami, 6/26/2014; Charlotte-Minnesota, 2/10/2015]

2020 second round draft pick to Sacramento
    Miami's 2020 2nd round pick to Sacramento (via Boston to Cleveland) [Boston-Miami, 7/27/2015; Boston-Cleveland, 8/22/2017; Cleveland-Sacramento-Utah, 2/8/2018]

2021 first round draft pick to Philadelphia
    Miami's 2021 1st round pick to Philadelphia (via Phoenix) [Miami-New Orleans-Phoenix, 2/19/2015; Philadelphia-Phoenix, 6/21/2018]

2021 second round draft pick to Sacramento
    Miami's 2021 2nd round pick to Sacramento (via Portland) [Miami-Portland, 2/18/2016; Portland-Sacramento, 6/21/2018]

2023 second round draft pick to Dallas
    Miami's 2023 2nd round pick to Dallas [Dallas-Miami, 7/7/2017]

2024 second round draft pick to Cleveland
    Miami's 2024 2nd round pick to Cleveland protected for selections 31-55 (if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then Miami's obligation to Cleveland will be extinguished) [Cleveland-Miami, 2/8/2018]

12. jsmee2000

13. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'd be shocked if Washington doesn't offer Otto and Markieff for Butler and Dieng.

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

Ouch

16. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Again, I don't see that working out for OKC if they make the trade. Butler and a ball dominant guard hasn't had the best results. Butler at high usage also hasn't been great for his body. OKC would do roughly the same thing Butler has seen his entire career and I don't think they get passed the likes of a GS or Houston. Maybe they knock out LBJ and the lakers in the first round, but they will get bounced in the second round even with Butler.

But it wouldn't shock me if OKC pulled the trigger on this. It also wouldn't shock me if in a win-now Thibs mode he likes the talent he gets in return. Look at Oladipo and the Pacers for reference. He might think lightening will strike twice, and OKC will net yet another superstar but all of it will come for naught.

Ok, so they had Durant, WB, Harden, Melo, PG13 all within recent history of that team, and if they got Butler and still didn't win a ring... @topfive I'm starting to really believe that you cursed OKC as they left Washington. Remind me to never get on your bad side.

17. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

That's just stupid for a treadmill team. Clearly they don't ascribe to the Boston School of team building.

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

Never doubt my revenge skillz!

Actually, the Thunder cursed themselves. I had nothing to do with it.

I was living in LA when all that went down. When I moved to the Seattle area in 2011, I learned how it all went down and was immediately furious that not only the league and David Stern let it happen, they paved the way to MAKE it happen because Clay Bennett had been buddying up with Stern for a few years.

It's a sad tale of how the proposed ownership group in OKC did whatever they had to do to get an NBA franchise, including outright lying to the entire city of Seattle. Emails that surfaced after-the-fact indicated that Bennett never had any intention of keeping that team in Seattle, and most likely surreptitiously did everything in his power to ensure he "had no choice" but to take the Sonics to OKC.

/SOAPBOX

Pizza_Da_Hut likes this.
  19. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

20. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

List: Expanded:cool: