1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets have possibly the WORST practice facility in the league.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Sep 16, 2018.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Bumping to quote myself because surprise, surprise.... media day held at Tilman's very own The Post Oak. It's not a matter of 'if' it's a matter of 'when' regarding Rockets Post Oak Training Facility. And it will be great.

don grahamleone likes this.
  2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Just to add... I remember one year (the year before Yao), so Franchise, Mobley, Cato, Rice etc etc, They were using a high school gym in Austin. It was great since I got in and it was like 20 or so people total (closed to public etc). Got great pictures and got to meet Rudy T as well as get individual pictures with all the guys after practice, but I was silly and didn't get autographs, oh well it was just cool to meet them all in a small setting.

I got invited because my dad was friends with the assistant coach, this was Jim boylen at the time, pretty great guy. He had a lot of great stories about the championship runs.

don grahamleone and ipaman like this.
  3. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

Why do Kings need a practice facility?

No Worries, DreamShook and heypartner like this.
  4. lockmat

lockmat Member

The Rocket's are landlocked. Where would they build it? I doubt they want to move away from the arena.

Maybe they can build it on top of the parking garage?

5. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

shrug that just means higher ticket prices to pay for a new practice gym.

6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

If only we can kick out Joel Osteen and his folks from the Summit.

7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Not sure if this has been mentioned... but last year, they brought extra courts (and hoops) onto the main Toyota Center floor by pushing back the temporary seating. We'll have to wait until next week to see if they still do that this year, since they're in Lake Charles now. But it's not like they can't have auxiliary courts for separate group workouts.

Deuce and Nook like this.
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If only Chris Paul would donate half a year of his salary.

9. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

this isn't really an issue for pro teams. college teams can have extravagant facilities because their labor costs are zero. in the off-season they either practice at home or at private facilities. what the rockets have is more than sufficient for dan tony to teach.

10. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Wow this was a thing I was not aware of. Cool thread! Boaton’s Facility is pretty badass.

That said, I think you should spoiler the pics to minimize the length of the page

11. luckyman

luckyman Member

Was researching something completely different and got led here...so while this is old, I can't let it slide.

Firstly, the Pelicans organization isnt dysfunctional. The Lakers are dysfunctional. Every franchise will go through a change in basketball ops once in a while, but that doesnt mean the organization as a whole is dysfunctional. If the Saints arent dysfunctional then the Pelicans wont be. They are owned by the same people.

Secondly, even if the Pelicans are in a "small market", they have had a billionaire owner since they became the Pelicans back in 2012. They still do. Not only a billionare for an owner but a native New Orleans home grown one at that.

So its not a shock at all both they and the Saints have one of the better practice facilities in both leagues. Mean here's the one for the Saints.

http://www.markwag.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Saints-Lockers-034-1.jpg

RudyTBag and don grahamleone like this.
  12. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

MDA does not like practice anyway.

13. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Its hilarious what people complain about. The Summit has a similiar single practice court upstairs didn't stop us from winning 2 ships.

14. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Matches our shi**y a$$ stadium.

15. fattz

fattz Member

He gets one of the guys that sits sideways behind him to roll a ball out to center court. Then yells for Harden iso over and over.

This also explains why we use the RGV so much. As a result we make G league all stars and not serviceable role players.

#95 fattz, Sep 24, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

A small facility for small players yo.

Will get bigger though.

17. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Wow the Rockets are an embarrassment. We should be able to run more drills.... this definitely is holding them back.

PeterKingX likes this.
  18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Well we should look at the Celtics practice facilities in the 60s. They won like 10 straight champs. Can't be wrong with that.

Blurr#7 likes this.
  20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Because it's our practice facility that stopped us from making 1 of 27 3 pointers.

payaso likes this.