1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hunsicker backs Dalgy; bringing in Orlando Palmeiro

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DallasThomas, Jan 15, 2004.

1. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

Who's Dalgy?

Chronicle

Astros expect to add reserve OF Palmeiro
    Hunsicker: Hidalgo not on trading block

By JOSE DE JESUS ORTIZ
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

Not only is Astros general manager Gerry Hunsicker not actively trying to trade starting right fielder Richard Hidalgo, but he's actually trying to fortify the outfield depth further by signing versatile outfielder Orlando Palmeiro. The deal for Palmeiro, a lefthanded hitter who will be expected to come off the bench, will be announced today, a person close to the situation said.

The Dodgers have been reported to be interested in Hidalgo, but Hunsicker remains adamant that he wants to keep the outfielder. Furthermore, a person with knowledge of the situation said the Dodgers haven't called the Astros about Hidalgo since winter meetings ended a month ago.

"Richard is a very important part of our club and one of our key offensive players," Hunsicker said. "We're certainly not aggressively looking to trade him at this point."

Hidalgo, who hit a team-leading .309 with 28 homers and 89 RBIs in 2003, will earn $12 million in 2004 and has a $2 million buyout on the $16 million option he has for 2005.

Palmeiro, who started at all three outfield spots last year while playing solid defense, hit .271 (86-for-317) with three home runs and 33 RBIs in 141 games.

Palmeiro's agent, Barry Praver, wouldn't confirm or deny the deal but said "Houston would be an attractive destination for Orlando. There have been multiple teams interested in Orlando."

"He's a nice player," Hunsicker said of Palmeiro. "He will be a nice piece for us. It won't be Roger Clemens or Andy Pettitte, but it will be a nice upgrade."

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Palmeiro is a pretty nice player and all, but do we need another outfielder? Can't the money be spent wisely to add depth at another area?

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I hate this move. This..plus Pettitte..plus Clemens is nothing at all. The Astros are the worst franchise ever. And now they want to keep Hidalgo?? Come on!! He's awful!! The Astros suck. Nothing they do is right.

;)

4. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

He bats left and will come off the bench. This is solid move. My guessing is he is replacing Merceds role on the team. We do need depth in the outfield in case Bidge cannot hold up.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

This is another cost saving measure by McLane. The Astros are one of the few teams that have the player's first name engraved on a locker nameplate. By signing Palmeiro, the Astros can save the money they would have had to use to remove Merced's name from his locker.

In a related manner, McLane is finding out if it is cheaper for Pettitte to legally change his first name to 'Billy' or to replace Wagner's nameplate on his locker.

6. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

You forgot "Jimy is an idiot" and "Drayton is cheap". If you are going to do a typical complainers rant, at least get it correct! :D

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Nice. :D

I forgot about Merced leaving, so I can see where this can be seen as needed.

8. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Palmiero is a scrub.

The guy has 6 career homers. His career batting average is .279. His defense is decent, but I feel we would have had the same benefits had we brought back Brian Hunter.

Hunter gave us exactly what Palmiero will, plus he is much faster than Palmiero.

9. lalala902102001

I think that Palmeiro is a decent pick-up. His BA is solid and he's left-handed. Besides, he's above-average on defense. Good enough for a 5th OF if you ask me.

10. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I hope to god nobody calls Roger Clemens, "Clemmy"...

11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oh my god. You're on to something...

Orlando Miller...Orlando Merced....Orlando Palmeiro. It's so obvious. Well, either that or they have a Florida fetish.

[​IMG]

Anyone remember how Orlando would check his swing? Not always, but occasionally he would just let go of the bat and swing through with his hands. It always cracked me up to watch because it seemed to really unnerve the batter and umpire.

12. Buck Turgidson

Ummm...no.

OP can play all 3 OF spots pretty well (though he's not a late inning defensive replacement type), hits LH, and is a solid pinch hitter, solid OBP, though he has no power.

BH is definitely better defensively, but would grade out as the weakest offensive player on the team, a team with Brad Ausmus. He's absolutely inept at the plate.

Gerry, rightfully so, wanted a LH hitter to bring off the bench. Solid move.