1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron.com: Hidalgo to LA Dodgers???

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by codell, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Major

Major Member

So you're throwing away all of the good that Hidalgo accomplished throughout the year based on his last 27 at bats?

How good was he really, though? His job was to drive in runs down in that 6th spot, and he was pretty OK at that, finishing 4rd on the team with 88 RBIs - but not $12M good. He was progressively worse as his RBI opportunities improved:

His AVG/SLG:

No one on: .327 .669
    Runners on: .290 .468
    RISP: .225 .338

That's not good for an RBI guy. And he's had similar numbers in previous years, so it's not a 1-year fluke. His 2001-2003 numbers combined:

No one on: .284 .541
    Runners on: .268 .426
    RISP: .237 .348

2. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Typical Astro fan. Satisfied with only "being in position," when actually, the Astros should have won the division without any problem. It was right there for them and they choked.

If some of you fellas like players that do well for most of the season, only to see them blow at-bats when we need them to come through the most, well, I dont understand that, but whatever.

I'd like to see a new player in right field, one that has a knack for getting a clutch hit in the playoffs, or when a playoff spot is on the line. With Hidalgo (and Biggio), you've seen that this has never happened, but if you are satisfied with that, well whatever.

Yes, I am throwing "away" all the good he did. He didn't finish the job. He shut it down before the season was over. He disappeared when the Astros needed him the most. But, for some strange reason, bobrek and MadMax, you just ignore that and dont hold him accountable for that.

Stats are overrated (even though I mentioned the 4 for 27), it is how opportunistic the player is. His 344. september average doesn't tell the whole story, so the case is open.

Maybe the Astros can steal Bernie Williams from New York.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

smarter guys than me have taught me that, over the course of their career, no one hits abnormally well or poor in the clutch.

hidalgo had a good season last year...he won more than a few games for us with his bat...and he saved runs with his arm.

is he worth $12 million?? absolutely not. but i'm still hoping they keep him, because he's still better than the alternatives right now, namely Jason Lane.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Keep DOGGY....dump Biggio.

DD

5. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

For sure...

Hey may not be worth 12 million, but if you give him up, the team wont have anything worth his production, nor will they be able to get anything close to that.

6. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Gerry if you're listening..................Lane/Robertson for Beltran.

Sleep on it. Let me know in the morning.