1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas BBQ

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

One of my BBQ aficionado coworkers went there last week and said it was great

Sajan and heypartner like this.
  2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Whats the consensus on The Pit Room?

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Can't even get in there. There's always a long line.

4. donkeypunch

They stay open til 9 and you still cant get in there?

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I've gone during the afternoon a couple of times. I live a good ways away.

6. Sajan

Sajan Member

Pit room must have blown up recently because I went for lunch twice and there was no line during a weekday. This was about 6 months ago. I thought it was good BBQ. I had brisket and ribs.

7. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

They were on Man, Fire Food about six weeks ago. That helped with marketing.

8. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Patrick Feges used to work at Killen’s. He learned well.

9. donkeypunch

7/10.

Brisket was good. Just good, not great. They were out of pork and beef ribs when I got there. I did enjoy the venison sausage more than the jalapeno cheese one. Got charro beans and potato salad for sides and thought they were bland. Sauce was really good- thicker than I usually like it but had acho chiles in it that gives it a uniqueness.

10. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

In a triumph of hope over experience, I am getting married in December. The missus and I decided on Q for our wedding dinner, so we toured all of the top local BBQ joints to select our caterer. Tough work, I know. We decided on feges. We had a ton of very good to excellent smoked meat, but the feges sides really stood out over the pack. We haven't met Patrick yet, but Erin is super nice and we are really looking forward to working with them. I will report back post nuptials.

Has anyone tried Henderson and Kane in the 6th ward?

heypartner likes this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

12. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Anyone have the inside scoop on the best beef ribs in Houston? I've tried quite a few places and have found that the Pit Room is the best beef rib - but theirs is super pricey. A single rib averages about $22, and it is worth it because it is perfectly cooked but I wouldn't mind finding a cheaper option that is comparable.

13. donkeypunch

Anywhere you go, beef ribs are gonna average $20-22 / lb.

14. Svpernaut

I slum it at Pappas every now and then. $12.00 for the entire 3-rib meal... obviously nowhere near the quality.

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yeah, I used to splurge on beef ribs (especially when we could drive through Lockhart and go to Black's BBQ, yum yum), but I usually just stick with brisket now. Much less expensive and delicious anyway (if you're at a good spot).

First I've heard of Feges, so now the wife and I will have to try it. There's good bbq around Houston (Killen's), but the hill country offers so much better overall.

16. donkeypunch

Went to a place in Ft. Worth called Riskey's BBQ and they have all you can eat beef ribs for around $15; ate myself stupid. Quality was definitely not the best but it was all you can eat beef ribs. Dont know how they make money.
    Plenty of choices in and around Houston. The BBq scene has come a long way.
    https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/the-list-the-top-50-barbecue-joints-in-texas/

Svpernaut likes this.
  17. Svpernaut

Awesome thanks for the feedback about Riskey's! I'll definitely try to hit that up next time I'm in DFW. Just think, at $15 a pound it is like getting every 3rd or 4th rib for free! lol...

I'm pretty sure I've tried most of the great places in Houston that serve beef ribs so I'll probably keep heading to the Pit Room. It is worth every penny I was just hoping to save a few bucks so I could buy more without judging myself too harshly. $50-60 bucks on lunch can be a shameful pill to swallow sometimes.

18. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I think I went to the pit room right before they were on TV. Was able to go in and out no issue.

I still think Roegels might be better than them, however.

Blake and arkoe like this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

If you're ever in the Marble Falls area with a group and want some BBQ catered, my buddy James has now on several different occasions cooked a top 5 brisket and top 2 pork butt.

You buy the meat (or he does and you pay), he cooks it overnight for a charge, go have a party by the lake or wherever...boom...done

VooDooPope and Killatron 2000 like this.
  20. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

Tbh, The Pit Room is the best bbq I had in Houston. I’ve been actively looking for bbq joints in Houston these last couple of years. I can’t recommend it enough to my coworkers.