1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marquese Chriss as an NBA player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Haymitch, Aug 31, 2018.

?

How do you feel about Chriss' potential to develop into a good NBA player?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2018.
  1. Not good - no hope of developing into a good player.

24 vote(s)
    6.2%
  2. He's meh - small chance he develops into a good player.

102 vote(s)
    26.2%
  3. Not sure - 50/50 chance he develops into a good player.

120 vote(s)
    30.8%
  4. He's decent - decent chance that he develops into a good player.

114 vote(s)
    29.2%
  5. He's good - he will definitely develop into a good player.

30 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. fattz

fattz Member

My thoughts, too.

2. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

A poor man's J-Smoov?

MrSabotage likes this.
  3. j@amc

j@amc Member

It’s hard to read the draft breakdown on Draft Express and not hear the low basketball IQ critique. They were just to nice to players to write those words.

But their eval is spot on. High potential, High red flags.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Marquese-Chriss-83240/

4. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

Whenever a shot goes up on the defensive glass, and marquese chriss consistently fails to put a body on someone and box-out, I'm pretty sure that qualifies as low bball iq.
    Still, I didn't realize he only started playing bball at age 14 and he's still a really young 21 - almost the same age as this year's rookie class - I guess there is a slight chance that proper coaching and he could turn it around. He lacks fundamentals, especially on the defensive end, and that definitely factors into his low bball iq. But he does seem to be good at switching defensively onto guards and has a good 3 pt stroke... and some unbelievable athleticism.

It all really depends on his attitude and how he handles being coached hard. Going up against one of the hardest working big men in the nba in capela everyday in practice shouldn't hurt either.

5. BoneYardDog

BoneYardDog Contributing Member

6. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

He'll be good for what we need him to do. Spell some minutes for Capella. He can run the floor and is not afraid to use his body to clear the lane, block and dunk. I think he is a highlight reel ready to Happen for Houston. We gotta get this kid some meat though!

D-rock likes this.
  7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm just saying that "the physical tools are there" and I don't see a low IQ player , just a kid who lacked coaching and playmakers around him.

I don't know what his attitude is - that's the biggest factor in him becoming a quality player or a career backup.

We'll see how it plays out …. hopefully Morey got the best player out of the deal rather than gave up the best player ….

8. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Excited to see Chriss in this system, especially playing with Harden and CP3. I know things didn't quite workout to his potential in PHX but that's more so the coaching carousel than anything else.

D-rock likes this.
  9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

from the games i've watched and what i've read his overall attitude is actually fine i think... he wants to get better, wants to win, and supports his teammates. he just gets easily frustrated not being successful against grown men yet, while playing on a team that loses basically every night.

and while he's not dumb like some of the ex-rockets he's been compared to here, his bball IQ is lacking b/c he started playing so late at age 14 and also b/c he's been playing w/ rookies run by subpar coaches. i'm not sure what he can contribute this coming season b/c he really is a project. but down the road he has a chance to be quite good.

ArtV, clutchdabear and Red Chocolate like this.
  10. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

He's been playing out of position his entire career which is a big reason why he's looked so bad. We put Dwight at power forward for two weeks with Asik at C and we were garbage. Ultimate buy low guy as a C only.

D-rock likes this.
  11. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Most distributions aren’t going to be perfectly Gaussian, they’re just going to approximate it.

The bell curve was made to simplify the math back when we couldn’t calculate non parametric distributions.

Even Lebrons would likely look something like a bell curve, but with heavy right leaning skew.

Distributions approach Gaussian for surveys, and always will, because one vote can’t disproportionally affect results. They also won’t demonstrate kurtotic properties for the same reason.

A normal distribution with a slight (.2) soreness is what I’d expect. About equal chance, but human tendency to over estimate the long odds are present.

ramotadab and smoothie like this.
  12. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

jones 2.0 he will win u some games but put u in a position to lose a bunch more

13. Exiled

Exiled Member

marquese Chriss

ramotadab and hajkov like this.
  14. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

His potential has to be much higher i think. His jumper already looks way better than TJones and is two and half inches talller. Hell be good for us. Harden turned capela into more than formidable player, cp3 and Harden will do the same for Chriss

D-rock likes this.
  15. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

True, though I wouldn't say all the way to the Warriors because then one has to factor in the large difference in age and maturity since he was 29 his first year with GS.

McGee was actually super productive with Denver before his hip injury, still at 24/25, when he had his minutes reduced (has stamina issues) and role more confined and defined he was far more productive per minute.

Chriss hasn't done anything like that production yet, yes, but he needs to be assessed in a more defined role and prove he can do the little things also.

For example, talking about his numbers as a roll man, part of the issue is that he's rolling/popping and taking mid range jumpers. That should be cut out, not good enough to be taking those. He's one of those guys who is a bit skilled in a lot of areas, so they try to do too much. Many of those guys are better when they have more defined roles and focus, unless they really improve all those little skills.

He needs to be on board with that. You're athletic and you can finish, you are either popping to three point or going all the way on your roll, you're not getting mid-range action. You're not getting post-ups, you're not going to be a ball handler or playmaker. Put energy on defense, he does that and he makes himself a much more useful player than the version that can do a lot of things below average and tries to do too much and play above his ability at the NBA level.

16. Milos

Milos Member

Yep
    He's a fringe rotation guy here to compete w Hart & Xi for CC's backup when Nene sits
    Unlike other 2, he has some NBA experience and range out to 3

I think his most impt contribution to this season for HOU may be his expiring contract
    Could be useful to get someone like Aminu at deadline if PORT tanks

17. fattz

fattz Member

After read about this kid my first thought was did we just massively over pay Capela? If the kid is 2/3 of what people think he should be than Chriss is a star in the making that will shine brighter than Clint. We will have Chriss tied into his rookie deal for the next 4 seasons (with extensions) VS what we just signed CC to. Interested to see which has better value. Hope the center spot is covered for the for seeable future. Random thoughts...

18. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

R u havin a gigle m8?

ramotadab, fattz and RudyTBag like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

If Rockets system can max his value like it did for EGo, Ariza and Luc, then Aminu will be the fallback plan.

Expect same for Knight, he is going to look so much better playing for MDA and with Beard and CP3. And his D should improve under Bzdelik.

20. T. Will tha Don

I dont think people understand the impact of CHRIS PAUL on the 21 year old's development as well as Mike D's system. Look what those two did for players with uber athleticism and red flags in Amare Stoudemire and Deandre Jordan. Chriss is super athletic, has grit, is super young, 6'10, 7 ft wingspan, and has a decent 3 point shot already? CP3, Harden, and Mike D will make him look like a steal from Phoenix.

ramotadab and D-rock like this.