1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade Ryan Anderson to Suns

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Aug 30, 2018.

?

Do you like the Rockets trade of Anderson & Melton to Phoenix for Brandon Knight & Marquese Chriss?

Poll closed Sep 14, 2018.
  1. YES

663 vote(s)
    85.9%
  2. NO

109 vote(s)
    14.1%
  1. HP3

HP3 Member

Thats like the one tweet that makes me feel better I guess, I dont know who this "expensive" wing is though. We kinda need an above average wing, and Bazemore at worse is nothing anyone should be worried about.

2. glenadyll

glenadyll Contributing Member

My own made up numbers, but:

Ryan Anderson - Emotionally gone, disconnected from the team, confidence shot.
    Chance to help the Rockets win this year: 0 out of 10 Sad Emojis

De'Anthony Melton - Spunky, probably better than a typical 46th pick, most likely cannot shoot basketballs, but quite likely can steal them from other players. Was going to spend the year in the G League most likely anyways.
    Chance to help the Rockets win this year: 1 out of 10 Hype Trains

Marquese Chriss - Probably basketball dumb, but long and bouncy, and possibly contains the capacity to improve if the game is made simple. Has a misspelled first name for a last name.
    Chance to help the Rockets win this year: 2 out of 10 Stromile Swifts

Brandon Knight - Victim of health, bad situations, bad decisions, and Deandre Jordan, but possibly a real basketball player of some form or fashion, especially in a non-featured role. The one billionth former Sun to play for the Rockets.
    Chance to help the Rockets win this year: 4 out of 10 Optimistic Eric Gordon 2.0s

Hui, Smacktle, seeingred and 6 others like this.
  3. Kendrick Lamar

Kendrick Lamar Contributing Member

I'm still hoping that these pieces will somehow net us James Johnson

DreamShakeFTW likes this.
  4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Nah, I bet Trevor got this news and was all like...
    [​IMG]

5. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

Or Courtney Lee. Or MKG or Marvin Williams. Or Snell. Or a dozen other players that fit better.
    Like Simmons said, Knight is much easier to trade than Anderson if he proves that he is somewhat healthy.
    Add a first + $ and the Rockets have a better chance of getting rotation worthy players than with Anderson.
    Rockets also picked up a 2.6M TPE.
    They have most of the MLE left, as well, because they never used it to sign Melton.

6. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

All things considered, it's not a bad deal. De'Anthony Melton flashed potential in the summer league, but there's no guarantee he becomes a contributor, much less a future all star. In return Morey got a lotto ticket back in Marquese Chriss. Chriss very well may flame out, but the Rockets have a need at backup center and he does have physical tools. Also, Phoenix jerked him and their entire bigs around when it came to consistent playing time. It was not a good situation for any young big to develop.

Brandon Knight, if healthy, is a good fit offensively next to James Harden when CP3 sits. (Knight has always been more of a scorer than a pure point guard).

Then, consider, Knight makes 15 million this year and next. That makes it easier for Morey to sell a team like the Hawks on the virtues of a Knight for Bazemore swap.

B-Bob likes this.
  7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

[​IMG]

8. BoneYardDog

BoneYardDog Contributing Member

Exactly how would you KNOW or even have a clue if Chriss fits into our current system?

D-rock likes this.
  9. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

What is with the delusional people? We got rid of the worst albatross we have been trying to trade for over a year and didn't have to give up much at all to do it. Most were ready to eat losing two 1st just to get crap back but we actually have decent positive assets now instead of a toxic asset. This was as close to a miracle as you get.

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

yeah and i don't get the mass extreme pessimism on chriss here. kid just turned 21 last month and only started playing ball at age 14. we have 2 months to evaluate and then decide whether to pick up next year's option or not. worst case scenario he's a tradeable expiring. best case scenario he develops into a shotblocking 3pt shooting rotation big who can switch on the perimeter, glide in transition, and convert alleyoops all day. most likely scenario he's an upgrade over tariq black and light years ahead of nanu.

11. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

12. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

All day my friend. I love Nene but Chriss is the perfect player to pair with Capela and keep his minutes down and spell Tucker. To me this trade is just too good to be true in solidifying the front court depth. We still have all of our picks, the TP MLE, buyouts, and Gordon or Knight in trade. We can do a lot of damage now at the deadline.

Hui, D-rock, Plowman and 1 other person like this.
  13. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

14. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

Knight in general is not "good" , but he's better than MCW by far. He's a career 36% 3PT shooter with highs at 38-40%. He can score, handle and pass. Scoring and efficiency wise you need to give him the right role though, for one, not the kind of scoring usage the teams he's been on (bad teams) have allowed, and secondly a cleaned up shot selection.

He's not a good mid-range shooter and 30% of his FGA don't need to be from there. He's a decent enough rum finisher, and like mentioned, he can shoot the 3. If fully healthy, he makes sense as a more sure backup guard option to spell Paul and in case of injury. MCW has not ever shown some of the skills Knight has in terms of shooting, and inefficient Knight is far more efficient than MCW, and Melton as a rookie would have a lot of adjustment. Rockets are in win now, so young Chriss who already has two years experience also makes sense so that there's still youth coming back.

Playing with Harden or Paul, Knight would have a Patrick Beverley type role in terms of being a secondary ball handler and playmaker and doing a lot of spot up. Haven't checked the numbers but I'd assume he's a fairly good spot up 3PT shooter. For his career he hits 39% from the corner.

ac in austin and Mr Chuck Norris like this.
  15. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

ThunderStruck and lionaire like this.
  16. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I love the weeping! I hope it helps the Suns think they got a good deal.

Always leave your trade partner feeling better than he should. So, thank you for weeping.

BMoney and fba34 like this.
  17. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Technically, it doesn’t even matter if Melton turns into a bag full of bags of asses full of asses the second the season starts. If he played it would definitely help CP3s leg overuse injury problem.

Unless this leading to something else with a more definitive splash... Morey worship/Anderson hate. And I’ll comment on anything I like thanks.

18. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

Doesn't make a difference since Knight will do the same thing

19. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Any updates or does Morey still have something up his #sleeves

20. bratna8

bratna8 Member