1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Rockets trade Ryan Anderson to Suns

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Aug 30, 2018.

?

Do you like the Rockets trade of Anderson & Melton to Phoenix for Brandon Knight & Marquese Chriss?

Poll closed Sep 14, 2018.
  1. YES

663 vote(s)
    85.9%
  2. NO

109 vote(s)
    14.1%
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think ppl are moaning more because they won't be able to watch Melton grow before our eyes.

Not how awesome he can become, albeit looking like a very good defensive project for those who love watching Defense and is okay enough on Offense.

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Dunk and Block project

TheRealAllpro and saleem like this.
  4. saleem

Yes, I'm unhappy to see Melton go, unfortunately there was no other choice.

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

That's how I view it. Seriously, people. Melton wasn't gonna play. The starters are Harden, CP3, Melo, Tucker, and Capela. The first players off the bench will be Gordon, Ennis, and Green(he's earned D'Antoni's trust). Nene would play occasionally. Maybe Joe Cheese or Isaiah Frankenstein would get a shot at backup center minutes. MCW could get on the floor once in a while, especially when CP3 inevitably misses games. Barring serious injuries, Melton would've been lucky to get 5 minutes a game outside of garbage time. And don't get me started on Ryno whose ass would've been parked on the bench all season.

At least now, the Rockets have a couple guys who will have a shot at cracking the rotation. Knight, if healthy and able to regain his outside shot, would be a tremendous pickup for the team. That would be a terrific 4-guard rotation. And if he winds up being a bust, well then we just replaced Ryno with a shorter, younger, cheaper version of himself. Chriss will get a shot at the backup center position. He may wind up being a bust too, but at least the Rockets can cut their losses with him after this season if that's how it plays out.

mockster, RayRay10 and saleem like this.
  6. saleem

Not bad at all.

7. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Hate to lose Melton for his potential, but you got rid of an albatross in Anderson, and got two useful players in either for the system or assets for another trade. Also does this trade get us under the luxury tax?

8. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Chriss is essentially to me another Capela for this system, which is great when Capela needs a break! Knight is our insurance policy, a player who can create his own shot and can penetrate!

Knight was supposed to be the next John Wall! He's clearly not, but he's still only 26 and has potential to be a great piece to this team!

He's also good for some laughs incase things don't work out!

mishii and Bearius Jones like this.
  9. Bearius Jones

Bearius Jones Member

Hate losing Melton but Marquese Chriss is the perfect backup center now and future starting power forward for the Rockets. I've been saying the Rockets should trade for him the entire summer!

Chriss can shoot 3s, block shots, and slam the lob. He gives the Rockets 48 minutes of PnR Lob City with already our 48 minutes of Hall of Fame playmaking. This move, IMO, has tipped the scales. 2018-2019 Rockets are now better than 2017-2018 team.

C: Capela, Chriss, Nene, Hartenstein
    PF: Anthony, Tucker, Chriss, Qi
    SF: Tucker, Ennis, Green, Carter-Williams
    SG: Harden, Gordon, Green, Knight
    PG: Paul, Harden, Knight, Carter-Williams

I'm excited!!!!!
    [​IMG]

10. stab

stab Member

Any trade that has us ridding ourselves of RA’s contract without giving up a 1st, is a win.

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Murray setting up the pieces for another big trade. 15m is way easier to move than 20m. Excellent.

12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Felt the Rockets may have to give up one or two first round picks to move Ryan, as much as I love Melton and
    his potential.....im not sure he equates to two first rounders. One yes, as I think he could/should have been a
    lottery pick this past draft.

Ryan opens things up for Ayton to work near the rim offensively for the 20 mins or so he plays.

You asked about backup point guard. I mentioned Devin Harris possibly as a free agent because a player liked
    Jameer Nelson balked at us for suggesting he play deep bench point guard behind CP3/Harden/EGordon....
    so he went elsewhere. Devin Harris at about age 36 would accept that role better as a end of career Jason
    Terry role as 4th point guard. Brandon Knight gets to come back off injury and hopefully contribute come
    playoff time for 6-8 mins a game time here and there.

I want to see Chriss work out with John Lucas and Roy Rogers. Capela made big strides from beginning of last season
    to end of season. His role with Rockets will be better defined. If nothing else, his defense allows him to be on the
    court over a Ryan Anderson.

Ultimately Melton will be an Avery. Bradley type slightly shorter Jim Jackson. Good for the Suns. Wish him well, just
    not against the Rockets. Lol.

slothy420, mikol13 and saleem like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sadly this came before he tore his ACL and he has not played a game last year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Knight_(basketball)

14. Reeko

Reeko Member

like I said, he’s a Bobby Brown upgrade...as in he’s nothing but CP3 insurance and that 4th guard we hoped Jameer Nelson could’ve been for us last year, but we didn’t get him and instead had to run with Bobby Brown in that position

15. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

Morey basically showed all the hype generated on CF to the Suns management team and got them excited. Morey playing us all.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. Progs

Progs Member

why not a 1st rd in a weak draft (2019). I doubt whoever the Rockets draft at 28-29 in next year's draft will be better than, Melton. Plus, Melton would have one year under his belt ready to take off for the Rockets.

17. Fantasma Negro

I have faith in Knight, he's team THICC
    [​IMG]

Deuce, GotGame15, JuNx and 1 other person like this.
  18. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

I don't love the trade, but I don't hate it either. My initial impression is that Melton is the best prospect in the trade which is why my initial impression is slightly negative against the trade, but I admit I am not that familiar with Chriss.

Knight's poor outside shooting and injury status make it hard to project his role on the team and the money savings doesn't seem to be substantial enough to say it's worth while to just dump Andersen's contract. Maybe Knight is more trade-able though. If Knight just sits on the bench most of the year though then I don't really see much difference in having him do that and Andersen sitting on the bench. Then it just becomes Chriss vs Melton, and I was excited to see what Melton could develop into and his defensive perimeter potential for a team that lost Ariza and Mbah a Moute. But I could easily be underestimating Chriss on this team, and if Knight becomes a regular positive contributor or either ends up getting flipped in a bigger deal then the trade will be a net positive unless Melton some how becomes a star. Solid NBA starter seems more likely as a ceiling though.

I don't really agree with the idea that some seem to have that getting rid of Andersen in itself makes it a good trade though when Knight's contract doesn't look that much better.

daywalker02 likes this.
  19. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

You know “quality when you see it” but your goofy ass isn’t a general manager, scout, nada. You’re a keyboard warrior; who probably has an Ariza, Ryan Bowen, Shane Battier and Matt Maloney jersey. Those are the type of players that make you cream yourself. There is a reason why he was taken in the second round. Use statistics and tell us the success rate of 2nd rounders keyboard thug.

To quote the late, great Big L:

You were never ****, your mother should have swallowed you.

20. saleem