1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Job Interview

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by hhh345, Aug 25, 2018.

1. hhh345

hhh345 Member

Hi Clutchfans,

I need your help on what job interview questions i should expect in an interview and the best way to answer them. This is my second time applying for this position as my interview did not go so well the first time, the first time i interviewed the questions were pretty basic but since i had not interviewed for so long, i blew it.

2. Sajan

Sajan Member

how can we help u with such little info?
    is this for a hourly job at mcdonalds or ceo of exxon?

Reeko, Invisible Fan and Uprising like this.
  3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Its for an hourly job at McDonalds inside the Exxon headquarters food court that will serve the CEO.

4. hhh345

hhh345 Member

This is for an entry level accounting job, i currently work for them but this would be a promotion. The first time i interviewed it was basic questions like strengths and weaknesses but they ended up getting someone else for the position. A similar position has opened up again, so im trying to be more prepared this time.

5. Buck Turgidson

6. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Start off by telling your interviewer you dun goofed by not hiring you the first time.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Interviews are all about understanding what the job requires and making them feel that you can accomplish the job without pissing a lot of people off.

Sajan and Space Ghost like this.
  8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

So, you're probably not going to get it. But with that stress now relieved, could you go in the interview wearing a yamaka and black glasses and report back how it went?

#8 Bandwagoner, Aug 25, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    Sajan likes this.
  9. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

It’s extremely cliche to say, but just be yourself. You’d be surprised how far some people can get by just being themselves. Now go get YOUR job.

Sajan likes this.
  10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Be yourself (cliche but true)

Don't be afraid of making a mistake or paranoid about saying something wrong. I've interviewed people who I really wanted to hire but they just would not open up enough. It was the opposite of talking themselves out of a job.

Be positive. Avoid negativity.

Sit up with good posture and look your interviewer straight in the eye when one of you is speaking. (If you can't look them in the eye, try their nose).

When asked to describe one of your weaknesses, use your head and don't say anything like "it's hard for me to get organized", "I sometimes lack confidence in myself", etc.

Come armed and ready with 2-3 past cases where you did something notable on the job (solved a problem, prevented a disaster, came up with a better way of doing something, etc). Insert these in the context of answering a question.

Don't let brief moments of silence bother you. It's OK to pause and think before answering.

Do not lie and do not exaggerate your experience/ability/knowledge.

My question to you is how did your previous interview go? Did it go well? Were there awkward moments you could have handled better?

11. hhh345

hhh345 Member

Most of the interview went well except toward the end where they asked me what was my weakness, which i could not think of what to say, and if i had any questions for them, which i didint ask. I was surprised by the interview as many who have gotten a job there said their interview had a lot of accounting questions but my interview was more about myself.

12. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

You should have asked questions. That is one of the most important parts of an interview. Best of luck

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I hate when people ask this question. At the career center they tell you to answer the question to make it look like a strength. Basically you say I work so hard sometimes I screw up my work/life balance. However that is such a crappy answer. However if you give them a real weakness you might not get the job.

Jontro, A_3PO and Sajan like this.
  14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Always be prepared to ask questions about the company (or department) you are interviewing to join. This requires some homework.

I won't offer advice on how to answer the weakness question beyond the earlier post. Just don't impale yourself.

15. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

When they ask you where do u see yourself in 5 years.... Walk over to his/her desk, kick your feet up, and say " The same as yall do"..

16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!