1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zhou Qi

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jb86, May 15, 2018.

1. bongman

bongman Member

Depending on the opposition, he can still play C and let Nene rest.

2. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

I recently heard Morey on an interview talking about starting two bigs in order to create a rebounding advantage. He cited when they used to start Capela and Dwight together. Morry said they would “beat the hell out of people” by doing that. But, he said that in today’s nba you need two bigs who can defend the perimeter. This immediately made me think about Zhou. He moves his feet pretty well for someone his size and I see guards don’t know what the hell to do when he gets low and wide. When he puts his arms out it completely takes away driving lanes. I am really hoping to see a Zhou and Clint starting line up in the future. I feel like there is a ton of potential there.

Lawlruschang and rhee like this.
  3. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

When did Dwight and Capela start together? I must have been sleep.

napalm06 and Jontro like this.
  4. Madclownpacasum

I think it was Howard and Asik.

napalm06 and Lawlruschang like this.
  5. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

I think it was 2015-2016 the bad year we had after we made rhe wcf. They were desperate for results and we're experimenting with different lineups.

6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

imo the downfall of the big man in the NBA is based more upon the rampant inability to shoot free throws at a decent level... the Hack-A- Whoever is what keeps them off the court more than anything else...
    As far as clogging the paint on offense... The championship Rockets team with the Hakeem in and out philosophy would still be relevant today... cause if you have a truly dominant big man that commands a double team you either get the easy buckets down low - or wide open looks from the perimeter when the help defender comes over...
    Everybody likes to state 3>2 to justify shooting craploads of 3's... but
    Clint 2 @ .652 (his fg% last year) = 1.30
    Harden 3 pt @.367 (his 3 pt % ly) = 1.1
    I'm not stating 1 philosophy or the other is always going to be better - because there are many other factors to consider - and all rosters are not created equally...
    Everybody trying to mimic GSW are running a fool's errand... cause unless you have better shooters than GSW (which is highly unlikely) - you're not gonna beat them by trying to do the same thing... Our true point of differential (and why we should have won that series) was better defense - which everyone had been dismissing for the last few years...

7. edwardc

edwardc Member

Will he even get on the court with the signing of Caboclo

8. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

You must not know about our secret weapon Bruno Caboclo...

Swiss Roll likes this.
  9. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Wow that is a long 2 pointer.

10. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

CP-Harden-Bruno-Zhou-Capela

Aint NOBODY passing on us

Rocketsfanguy and Lawlruschang like this.
  11. Wommy

Wommy Member

Philippines have Jordan Clarkson. It was a good game. Team China is pretty young. Guards are still ctap as usual but it's good sign to see some improvements from Zhou.

12. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Honestly the Philippine team playing in the Asian games right now isn't very good. The guy who was clamping down Zhou in the 4th isn't even starter level in the PBA, he's just on the team cause he's long. A lot of the blocks came from Stanhardinger who's a 6'5 big man that kept attacking straight at Zhou for some reason. He definitely needs to work on his footwork to be serviceable in the NBA. The other Chinese big was much more impressive in that regard. Aside form the 3 balls Zhou's offense looks very limited.

13. Wommy

Wommy Member

Stanhardinger is only 6'5? Mmm.. Well yeah he did force a few shots which resulted in blokes by Zhou. You're right, Zelin Wang(?) had more impressive post moves. But i never expected Zhou to develop any post moves because that's not what he's needed for here. He did run out of gas at the end. Overall I'd say not too bad. Looking forward to see his next game.

lakersuck2 likes this.
  14. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Don't make things up. Standhardinger is 6'8" and put up 18/8 in Div I college.

D-rock and Lawlruschang like this.
  15. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Oh my bad maybe he just looked 6'5 compared to Zhou lol either way they had a weird strategy of having him attack Zhou right in his chest to maybe try to draw a foul but it wasn't working at all and just getting him blocked.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  16. yanghan84

yanghan84 Member

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

That some clamp down on Clarkson.

He could be a defensive weapon against the Worriers if he ever becomes a good NBA player.

But somehow some players only perform on NT level and lesser leagues.

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Any Chinese fans who can give us some insight about how's he's currently viewed in comparison to Yi? Do they seem Zhou as the definite best player on the Chinese team for the near future or is he just one of a few decent players?

19. bongman

bongman Member

If this Nike commercial is an accurate representation of Chinese NBA fans, they don't want him anything close to Yi.

seeingred and clutchdabear like this.
  20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Commercials don't contain information though.