1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mark Jackson as our new backup Pg

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by studogg, Jan 13, 2004.

1. sup123

sup123 Member

is steve days numbered? i hope so!!!:D

2. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope MJ doesn't bring back that shimmy-shake. I shudder to think what that looks like now...

3. kryten128

kryten128 Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/2352514

Jan. 14, 2004, 12:54AM

Rockets to work out Jackson
    Free-agent guard played under Van Gundy in New York
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The Rockets' search for a backup point guard will return to someone from Jeff Van Gundy's Knicks days. But this time, they are looking at a free agent listed considerably higher in the NBA record book.

Mark Jackson, 38, who is second in NBA history in career assists, will work out for the Rockets officials Thursday in Houston, Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson said on Tuesday after opening talks with Jackson's agent, David Falk.

Dawson said no offer has been made yet.

The Rockets have had a roster spot open since releasing Alton Ford last week. And they have been looking for a third point guard since dealing Moochie Norris to the Knicks. Former Knicks guard Charlie Ward turned down an offer to rejoin Van Gundy in Houston last week. He signed with the Spurs after being released by the Suns.

"I contacted (Jackson), and we're going to bring him in, work him out and take a look," Dawson said. "I've been on the phone all day with his agent. We'll see if he's in shape and see if he's able to help us.

"I called him. He was excited."

Jackson played his first five seasons with the Knicks and played for Van Gundy in the 2000-01 season.

His 10,215 assists are second to John Stockton in NBA history. He averaged 9.9 points and 8.1 assists for the Knicks, Clippers, Pacers, Nuggets, Raptors and Jazz in his 16-year NBA career.

Jackson, 6-3, has been out of the league since last season.

Did anybody post this from the Chronicles yet? Looks like it's nearly a done deal.

4. aries323

aries323 Member

If Mark jax comes in great shape, we will have a great bench.

Cato
    Motay
    Piat / Boki
    Piat / AG
    Mark Jackson

He would get everyone involved in the offense. A true-point guard. MAn, Mark and Jimmy Jax are great pickup in IMO>

5. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Typical dumbass move by that clueless jackass CD. This guy was a cancer at Utah and is nothing more than another band-aid on the problems with this team. Remember, they could have gotten Travis Best in the offseason to be their backup PG but as usual, they sat around with their thumbs up their a$$es. Am I supposed to believe that this will make them more competative against the top teams in the West?

6. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

This is sickening. What did the freakon' Knicks do that we have to keep taking all there old and discarded garbage?

:mad:

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think this is a VERY solid move! Quite frankly, what took them so long? Mark Jackson will do wonders for this team in terms of passing and helping out the second unit. I am sure our fast breaks will improve too. And Francis could stand to learn a thing or two from a great PG.

Excellent move if it gets done.

8. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Yea, MJ II will teach SF how to wheelchair upcourt and lay it in instead of soaring above 7 ftrs for the slam....

9. Life2Def

Life2Def Member

A 38-year-old isn't taking over a point for this team...at least I hope not.

10. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Marc Jackson is a true PG. I think he can bring a lot of positives to the team, especially to Franchise. Even though he might be brought in to back-up he can help SF on playing the PG position. Hopefully some of M. Jackson's court vision can rub off on SF & Wilks.

Funny, that all New Yorkers are fleeing to H-town.

:D

11. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Why is that CD's move? You don't think Van Gundy has a huge say in this?

12. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Yeah the dual donkeys are at it again.

13. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

And the anti JVG throng grows...

Oops, sorry, I will not bash, I will not bash... ;) :p

14. ron

ron Member

Too freakin' old!!!

15. MLC1MGC2ALC3

MLC1MGC2ALC3 Member

How is better Ward or Jackson? Hopefully Jackson is a better teacher. Steve needs to be schooled ! :p

16. rocket3forlife2

if steve could cut down on his turnovers then he would be a very nice point.right now he is a nice player,but nota true point.but has the ability to do so .

17. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Maybe the Rockets can bring in John Starks too?

18. rocket3forlife2

and for those who really think the rockets are gonna trade steve just because you dont like hit are idiots:mad:..................

there are others that make mistakes also .if you look at the stats for most turn over marburry,baron davis,allen iverson,lebron james,vince carter,carmelo anothy,even tracey macgrady,all lead the leauge in turnovers with paul pierce having the most at number 1.

and I see that allot of people would rather have mike bibby then francis ,but from looking at the stat sheet francis have more assist then bibby does.

19. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Jan. 14, 2004, 12:54AM

Rockets to work out Jackson
    Free-agent guard played under Van Gundy in New York
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle
    WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The Rockets' search for a backup point guard will return to someone from Jeff Van Gundy's Knicks days. But this time, they are looking at a free agent listed considerably higher in the NBA record book.

Mark Jackson, 38, who is second in NBA history in career assists, will work out for the Rockets officials Thursday in Houston, Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson said on Tuesday after opening talks with Jackson's agent, David Falk.

Dawson said no offer has been made yet.

The Rockets have had a roster spot open since releasing Alton Ford last week. And they have been looking for a third point guard since dealing Moochie Norris to the Knicks. Former Knicks guard Charlie Ward turned down an offer to rejoin Van Gundy in Houston last week. He signed with the Spurs after being released by the Suns.

"I contacted (Jackson), and we're going to bring him in, work him out and take a look," Dawson said. "I've been on the phone all day with his agent. We'll see if he's in shape and see if he's able to help us.

"I called him. He was excited."

Jackson played his first five seasons with the Knicks and played for Van Gundy in the 2000-01 season.

His 10,215 assists are second to John Stockton in NBA history. He averaged 9.9 points and 8.1 assists for the Knicks, Clippers, Pacers, Nuggets, Raptors and Jazz in his 16-year NBA career.

Jackson, 6-3, has been out of the league since last season.

20. Cesar^Geronimo

If Francis is traded it will be because he can't play with Yao.

Yao is too important to the Rockets and the NBA to not do everything possible to let him be (or even look like) a superstar.

Yao is a marketing phenomenon! If they think trading Steve will help Yao --- they will trade Steve

Steve is a star -- Yao is an international icon