1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Shams] Carmelo verbally commits to sign with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Zergling

Zergling Member

If Morey can ship Ryno's horrible contract and actually net a solid 3&D wing like Bazemore, the Rockets are straight up better than last year's team. For Vegas to give us a 54 win total is absolutely absurd.
    • Bazemore is a younger, better version of Ariza (added bonus that he wants to kill the Warriors, his former team)
    • Anthony that performs Ryan Anderson's role as an extreme floor spacer and high volume shooter is a better version of Anderson
    • James Ennis is an adequate replacement for Mbah a Moute and has 2 functioning shoulders
    • Joe Johnson is out, and Anderson will be out if the Ryno trade goes through -- both are addition by subtraction
    • Rockets will once again be a top tier destination for buy out players

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Now the only thing you have to figure out is why Atlanta will trade a "solid 3nD wing" for a scrub like Anderson and low picks.

3. T for 3

T for 3 Member

We are in the end zone, but all scoring plays are reviewed. The refs are talking their time with what looks like an obvious call....

#203 T for 3, Aug 8, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    ramotadab, Baqui99, roslolian and 3 others like this.
  4. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Did we get both feet in?

ramotadab, hakeem94 and T for 3 like this.
  5. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

I like how you think, Zergling. One more thing; remember that Bazemore isn’t as tall or long as Ariza. You couldn’t be more right about Moute.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Let the drama begin.

7. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Melodramatic.

MONON and ramotadab like this.
  8. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

All this hand wringing...

9. MarioKissoDeath

Supporting Member

I see the headline the Rockets will have on the press release when he signs today or tomorrow now, “Houston Rockets Excited to Sign Player Paid $27+ Million to Leave Other Team” I’m excited we get him for cheap and he’s a definite upgrade over Ryno, but pretty embarrassing for Melo. Hope that motivates him to be “Olympic Melo” this year.

AKdaDawg likes this.
  10. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I don't even think we need to add Bazemore to be at least as good as last year's team. Doesn't mean we'll win 66 games(yes, I know it was actually 65, but we forfeited that last one in Sactown) since many teams in the West got better. But it does mean 60+ is easily doable barring catastrophic injuries.

Basically, we've replaced Ariza and Mbah a Moute with Melo, Ennis, and MCW. Plus we have Green the entire season and added Melton. Also, even though CP3 is a year older, he already missed 24 games last season and it didn't hinder the Rockets' win total much. Never mind that Ariza and Luc each missed a month last season.

Here's today's First Things First with their take on the Melo signing and the state of the Rockets. It starts at 5:42. I agree with them that the Warriors got better. I disagree that the Rockets are worse:

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

12. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

To be fair this is the projection as the team stands today, not after a Bazemore trade that hasn't happened yet or any other moves that may come in the future. I think 54 wins is low, but many of the reasons you listed are things that might happen, not things that have.

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

If we can acquire a wing for Anderson (Johnson’s, Marvin, Baze type) then we’d have no problem sitting Paul/Melo multiple games, as well as limiting their minutes.

Chamillionaire likes this.
  14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

OMG
    [​IMG]

15. AKdaDawg

AKdaDawg Member

Shut up NIck!

16. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I don't understand why people look at it this way. Melo had a no trade clause and was only going to go to a sitution he approved AKA being bought out.

If it's "embarrassing" for anyone, it's Schroeder. The Hawks don't have anything to do with Melo other than being the team with the right cap situation and having a player they desperately wanted to get rid of.

They are actually paying 27 mil to get rid of Schroeder.

17. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Well I am sure the numbers will change after Morey makes Changes on paper.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

BREAKING: Kellerman has weighed in!

The Rockets just got worse, not better. - Kellerman

:D

DonKnock, Zboy and heypartner like this.
  19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Not over the last half season and playoffs. Rockets were a Top 5 slowest team as OKC went to Top 10 fastest.

We completely switched to a deliberate team, using ISO to break down switches more than any other team. For instance, Harden scored more on ISO, than any other team combined.

DonKnock likes this.
  20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

@Zboy, you're up. That's your Kellerman thread to start.

DonKnock and Zboy like this.