1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Chinanu Onuaku traded to Dallas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by onreego, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Welcome aboard again, Cash Considerations!

J.R. likes this.
  2. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

This dude has the same build as Capela. Pretty sure they’re the same height. Not sure about wingspan. It goes to show you what a hard worker Clint is. But also for Onuaku it really could have come down to the fact that he was drafted after Clint and therefore was not given a shot early on. I mean we could say it’s his fault for getting discouraged and not keep trying to get it, but it’s not too late. He still has time to turn it around if he wants it. I honestly remember the end of 2 seasons ago (I think) he got a little playing time and didn’t look too bad the few minutes he got with Harden.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No, that is what Houston has to give to Dallas for a lower 2nd round pick that originally belonged to GSW.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Wrong way. Tilman is paying Cuban cash, in order to save on taxes. Cash is playing for Dallas.

I'm sure Morey would have rather waived him and saved the cash to maximize spending ability to buy players and draft picks. When is the last time Morey has ever paid cash to get rid of a player vs buying an asset.

#TeamWaiveOnuaku
    #TeamSaveCashConsiderationsForBuyingThings

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Opening up a spot on the roster.

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The Rockets paid $1.5M and a pick swap that will likely drop them 2-3 spots at most at the end of the draft in order to save about $5.4M in salary and luxury taxes (assuming they would have otherwise waived him).

Yes, this was technically a purely financial move. But the asset cost was extremely minimal. This is likely LESS than dealing the cliche "top-55 protected pick" as nominal consideration, since the Rockets would still end up with a late second rounder in this situation.

This is just plain smart asset/financial management.

#146 BimaThug, Aug 1, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    dlite316, Richie_Rich, SC1211 and 8 others like this.
  7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the most telling thing about this move is that we will not need nanu for salary matching purposes in a ryno trade.

we can't make the johnson/waiters or marvin/MKG trades work without adding nene or zhou now.

with the hornets, we might be able to do marvin/lamb and then flip lamb to the kings for shumpert since they are looking for wing help and morey likes shump. for miami, no other combination of players really work to package with johnson meaning we will have to add nene or zhou. in other words they dont want to move their cheaper players, and if they added a more expensive player (tyler) we would have to add tucker or gordon.

ryno for bazemore still works perfectly.

8. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

My understanding is if Rox’s pick is lower than 40, then Dallas has the right to swap. Otherwise we get to keep it.

9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Vincent Edwards becomes the salary we need for matching on August 5th.

UTSA2step, jch1911 and snowconeman22 like this.
  10. carlos

carlos Member

Actually underhand free throws are way more accurate. Unfortunately many players lack the stones to use that technique and increase their cruddy percentages.

UTSA2step and Little Bit like this.
  11. bmelo

bmelo Member

Morey said to calm the ef down. Time to eat crow

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Well ... sure, but it also ultimately is just about saving money.

I'm not one of these fans to b**** and moan about cheapskate owners, since Rockets owners haven't really been over the years. And I don't think this move speaks to that.

But it is at least ammo for those fans that do b**** and moan about it. Because ultimately it is moving assets to save money. Even if a prudent and smart executive, business, organization would do such a move given the relatively little cost.

Also, as others have pointed out, it might mean a lost 2nd round pick in that they won't have the cash to acquire that pick next year.

Again, this is all nitpicky... but just in a way to understand the true underlying motives behind the move.... "Save total expenses this year at relatively little asset cost"

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Cash considerations >>>>> Busty Chinanu

JoeBarelyCares and NIKEstrad like this.
  14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

how much is he signed for?

we need to add $1.5M with ryno to get marvin/MKG. that still seems less likely without nanu. however, we only need to add about $500k with ryno to get johnson/waiters.

15. heypartner

This is *not* asset management, in Morey's definition??? This is a financial Tilman move....not a Morey move. So, for Tilman, it is smart. But it is not smart asset management for Morey.

The $1.5m is coming from an Asset Pool. Certainly Morey uses it that way.

I'd much rather save all our $5.3m in cash pool for buying assets, not using it for getting rid of them. If we lose out on buying a second round pick this year due to Onuaku, that's enough for me to *not* want this vs waiving him.

I can't see one direct advantage (wrt team building) this gives Morey at all, versus waiving and saving the cash for later. I can't remember the last time Morey used cash for something other than buying assets.

#155 heypartner, Aug 1, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trade Exception and an extra roster spot for another veteran minimum?

17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

$1.5 million, you'd have to ask @BimaThug for better details, but it's my understanding that it may or may not be a nuanced contract that can be two way or standard.

18. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Another random but related question then for @BimaThug ... is the 3 year 2nd round deal thing relative standard across the league now if a team wants to sign that second rounder.

I'm trying to think of examples where a shorter deal has bitten someone in the butt recently.

Again its nitpicky, but I don't know... I kind of would try for shorter, if the players and agents would accept it. Is 3 years required to be able to then make a QO for the 4th year?

20. heypartner

Waiving Onuaku creates a roster spot, too.

We don't need a Trade Exception for signing a Veteran. We can just use a Minimum Salary Exception for that.