1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Mission Impossible - Fallout

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, May 16, 2018.

1. 713

713 Member

Best pure summer blockbuster spectacle. Please watch on big screen with a crowd. Best in series for me.

Rebecca Ferguson can get it.

dkoune likes this.
  2. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Yes, in the sense that every fake tragedy scenario and story-telling technique was already done and so easy to spot. And I just have a personal bias against the plot setup that the Syndicate leader gets imprisoned, and its remnants are even stronger, infiltrate the entire CIA and gets nukes if it wasn't for Hunt. I feel like that the story could be better, that and it irked me that Tom Cruise evolved from standard MI super stardom to Fast & Furious level super hero invincibility.

3. hieuytran

hieuytran Member

Saw it this past weekend and I really enjoyed it...it was action packed

Rebecca Ferguson and Vanessa Kirby both looking good

4. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I thought it was pretty incredible, with each action scene topping the one before it. Sure there were recycled elements, which we see coming in the trailers. How many times will his government betray or disavow him? What spy movie doesn't center around a nuclear threat or world domination scenario? And of course, more face mask tomfoolery. For the latter, they at least poke fun at it. When it comes to the former though, the fact that once again, Ethan Hunt is pushed to the brink, actually helps drive a more personal narrative for him. And that's a big selling point. Yes, once again you have insane stunts, but the personal level the story brought its characters to makes it shine. These are characters that have been together for many films now, some from the beginning, and those relationships and chemistry that have been built, truly excel here.

Honestly it's hard to rank them. The JJ Abrams produced entries are so close in quality, with each having their own strong points. And the first Mission... that's an entity all to itself. Trademark DePalma. MI2 doesn't exist for me. I like me some John Woo, but no.

Fallout though, well its definitely a worthy addition to the franchise.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

Think Rogue was better action, not by much, but the Fallout did a better job of creating character drama. Both good fun. A movies. The girl spy was super duper hot in the last movie, and just really really good looking in this one.

But the hottest girl was probably the record store spy who was killed off in the opening scene of rogue. We have got to bring her back or tell her origin story.

#25 PhiSlammaJamma, Aug 5, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  6. Jontro

Jontro Member

does ethan finally retire after this?

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

In Action Movies . . .. Cruise rarely disappoints
    I still need to see this but I have heard good things about it

Rocket River

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Liked it but would not watch again.

My only complaint was that some of the action scenes were stretched too long.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I prefer a tad more espionage than action in my MI movies.

For instance, Ghost Protocol is probably considered not in many top 3 lists of favorite MI movies... but I liked the diamonds for nuclear codes scene, where they utilized the contact lens that transmitted the images and scanned to a briefcase printer.

Doesn't seem that far fetched... especially since they still use outdated technology such as briefcases and nuclear codes kept inside them.

MI3 probably has the best combination of all of it... the scene where they kidnap PSH is great and doesn't rely on crazy explosions or death-defying stunts.

Kim and Senator like this.
  10. Outlier

Outlier Member

Started strong but became dull towards the end. 6/10

11. Senator

Senator Member

All I expected is mindless action but the movie was still a total letdown. The writers have a few check points they want to hit and do the double agent thing in every scenario to give everyone more options and outs. Problem is it's so formulaic, has been done in the previous movies, so it's just tedious. Tedious is how I would describe watching this. Both Cavill and Kirby were forced and unintimidating in their roles. Hope the final installment goes back to espionage, sharper characters, and sophisticated break ins. Leave the B grade action movie stuff for B grade action movies

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You do know the script was written by the same guy who did The Usual Suspects right?
    The movie is fine. People are just trying to be contrarian

GRENDEL likes this.
  13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Emannuelle Beart was 33 when they filmed the first mission impossible in 1996. Cruise was 34.

Rebecca Ferguson was 34 in this one, Cruise was 56. Hilarious.

14. Senator

Senator Member

Not sure what that means. GOT season 7 was written by the same people who did the first 6 seasons.

People get complacent and slip up. In this case, he tried too hard to force complex situations. Every scene was from a previous installment.
    Disappointing it slipped to the level of B grade action movies like Fast and the Furious when it had some great stories and iconic scenes previously.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You can't just expect new formulas in every action movie. That would mean you think Incredibles 2 was B grade along with John Wick.

Tired of all these Christopher Nolan dick riders. Nobody wants to watch the same movie 3 times to get the point of a summer block buster.

#35 REEKO_HTOWN, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Just got back from watching this movie. Thought it was excellent. Good action and fun. Not sure where I would rank it with 4 & 5 but it is close. Saw it in IMAX which was good, especially with the final act.

17. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I liked it. Ving Rhames and Simon Pegg are starting to look old though. Felt like I was watching RED 3 at points.

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Tom Cruise is 56 almost a decade older than Pegg and about as old as rhames (59). Either he has really good doctors or some GOAT genes.

19. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

This (unless you're only referencing the age part)! I liked parts of MI6 and the first half was excellent, but it went too far with Cruise the super hero. He almost transformed during the movie, where he was this flawed man in the beginning who was physically inferior to Cavill, then by then end turns into Vin Diesel from Fast & Furious. The MI series was never as gritty and realistic as the Bourne series (Bourne realistic in the sense that it's smart and tries to stay grounded), and that's fine; however, MI doesn't fall off into absurdity either. It's fun, smart, and balances that line. Fallout was that way for half a movie, then put on a different skin for the second half. That's fine for many, but just didn't feel right to me. It felt like RED 3 or Fast 9.

arkoe likes this.
  20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

There's a rumor going around that Idris Elba is going to take over the lead role in future movies as Ethan's long lost brother, Myke Hunt.

Jontro and arkoe like this.