1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Best Pure Passer of All Time

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by glimmertwins, Jul 27, 2018.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Can't beat your 5s!

Chris Mullin was a helluva passer as a forward.

Magic, Big O def; Pistol Pete? Good one.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  2. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

White Chocolate was always fun

3. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Even in Magic's twilight years, like 89-92 and his comeback season in 96. You have really seen any point guards that could take over a game, like Magic could, especially on passing ability along. But, he could score and make clutch plays.

I think people sleep on him, when it comes to GOAT arguments.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Magic had the skill to be in the top 3 conversation, and he had the size and speed. When you watch Nash, he did some great things to create angles, move the defense, etc. Magic had to do so much less of that because of his size, and that enabled him to use so much more of his natural abilities.

5. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Mo like Man Darino. Love doing that with names and his is the among the best!!

I loved to watch Sabonis pass the ball..

omgTHEpotential likes this.
  6. Asian Sensation

One pass and one play yet 25+ some odd teams over the span of nearly 2 decades couldn’t stop something so basic. I don’t think Stockton was as good as Magic either but if anything Magic is the one with inflated numbers considering his HOF riddled supporting cast he got to play with. For multiple seasons throughout his career he got to play with 4 other guys that ended up in the Hall.

I hate the Jazz. Naturally. So it’s hard to give them credit but it’s due. Stockton/Malone was a nasty duo.

7. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Stockton/Paul
    James Harden
    Lebron
    Magic
    Wilt

8. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

With Chris Paul on our team, Carmelo Anthony has the potential to be amongst this conversation.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Awesome vid with Lanier and Wilt

10. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Wow - I expected to see more J-Kidd love - maybe it was because he was a Mav and Houston fans hate the Mavs but Kidd was really a passing savant. Magic was a better player I think, and I don't think Kidd is a particularly likable guy in general but I really thought he was the best passer I have ever seen. He would use crazy english to get the ball in tough spots - off the floor or even off the backboard. Check out his Nets days with Vince Carter, Kenyon Martin, and Richard Jefferson - he was getting guys easy buckets all game. Check out #41 in this video or even #40 for an example of him using english to get it to his teammate.

Canadiandude likes this.
  11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Magic for me.

12. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

YES - almost forgot about him. Easily the best passing big of all time.

Easy and omgTHEpotential like this.
  13. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

You bring up a good point about Nash - he was certainly one of those guys who would get to weird places on the court just to move defenders in a certain way to create passing angles. I feel like he was the master at that. Going to revise my ranking for best pure passers then:

1. Jason Kidd
    2. Magic
    3. Steve Nash
    4. White Chocolate

....keep in mind those are NOT the best PGs of all time. I think Magic, Chris Paul, and Stockton belong in the Top 3 and obviously White Chocolate is nowhere near that conversation but he was a great passer if maybe a little too risky/a little less smart of a basketball player.

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Maravich was better known for his shooting, but here are a few fun videos... driving Red Auerbach crazy, but the between the leg and wrist passes were deadly...

Fun watching Maravich playing in all star games. Some were passes were subtle so they are easy to miss in the video, but he also made the flashy passes too...

durvasa and daywalker02 like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Some of the better shooters were also good to great passers.

16. omgTHEpotential

Easy and Torn n Frayed like this.
  17. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Just depends what you're looking for. All these guys are incredible. Nash did more with less. He didn't have Kidd's (or Magic's) speed, size, or athleticism compared to his peers--but he still did what he did. I loved Nash's ambidextrous passing ability moreso than Kidd's, though it's probably splitting hairs. Also a big fan of Nash using his body as a screen while he passed to enable the passing lane or the shot in a creative way. Just different skills.

Same way Stockton was more straightforward and pinpoint compared to the rest of these guys. That's a skill too. Just depends what you're looking for with "best passer".

glimmertwins likes this.
  18. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Magic for me, but Cousy has to be up there. He was the first guy to really do it. I’m on a phone, so posting videos are beyond me right now, but go look at some of his stuff. Considering the era, it was amazing. Definitely Top 5.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  19. SK34

SK34 Member

Lol nba back then was so trash

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Cousy could only dribble with his right hand. I can't take him seriously.