1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Stein] Carmelo Anthony set to sign with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 23, 2018.

?

Do you like the signing of Carmelo Anthony?

Poll closed Jul 23, 2019.
  1. YES

90.9%
  2. NO

9.1%
  1. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Read above post. Their numbers were so high with those guys cause u got them for ham sandwiches. U had to give up people for cp3. Even doh i was on the cp3 bandwagon i can see why people voted n u should too

Bobsputin likes this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

No there's absolutely no reason why anyone should of voted no

3. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Ahhh im a big cp3 fan but really u couldnt see that. A guy that was always injured n had the choke narrative. I will repeat i never thought that n i defended the trade n called people crazy for thinking our d would.get worth cause we lost bev. CUse i was like ahhh u do know cp3 is like a 6 time all densive player right. But at the same time pat was a fan fav so i can understand if some didnt like it

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It was a joke. But you point is well taken. That's why they are comparing the Melo signing with the Lawson signing.

Quite similar. Both guys ran out of welcome with their former teams and we were able to sign them dirt cheap. We were crying about not having a good creator aside from Harden. Now people are also saying having Melo would give us one more creator. Both guys have some questionable character issues that make the doubters doubt. See the similarity?

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

If your goal is to win and get a true elite player then there's absolutely no reason to have voted no

6. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Btw on top of that u was doing olit on a one year rental so.he could of left...so really bro u cant see why some didnt. It was risk involved
    Yes i do but that th3 gamble. Even knowing that u take it cause r3peat u added both guys for a ham sandwich. Now ima blow ur mind n remind u the flip side. Josh smith was the same type of move. Brought out, got for ham sandwich some5imes bad character guy. But won that game to get us to the west conference finals, of n the alley oop game with him n dwight againt dallas in the playoff. U member..i memeber. So the can work or fail. But for a ham sandwich that low risk high reward.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

No there wasn't. For the doubters there was (what's new) but with actual logic it made no sense for cp3 to just play here for a year. That was evident in his FA video. He was in it for the long haul not some short term one time trial where picks up his family and leaves.

8. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Both guys wore out their former teams? Denver didn't want Melo to go and if it weren't for Phil Jackson's season long character assassination of him, he would probably still be in NYC. OKC was the only team that didn't want him due to his contract and obvious misfit next to Westbrick and even when they did want him and traded for him, OKC was hardly his top choice.

HakeemOnlyFan and clutchdabear like this.
  9. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Good points, hard to say I disagree.

Melon is an inefficient and iso player. I do think there is an important place on our team for them. Maybe buy us a few buckets in G7 lol, even if not statistically as efficient.

10. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Efficiency is great and a laudable goal and should be striven for. Over the course of the regular season it will win out.
    Sometimes, in the playoffs and high intensity situations things go to **** and you need guys to get buckets. Melo might be able to do that. I’d have liked to have him on the team last year when CP3 went down and we couldn’t buy a bucket.
    Maybe it won’t play out that way and he’s washed. No big deal we are not out anything.
    The horn part of my handle is for being a Texas Ex. Melo broke my basketball heart. I’m not a fan of his. I agree with all the detractors pointing out his warts. But what other move do you have in trying to yale down the dubs other than praying for injury. It’s the biggest potential upside move that could be made for 2+ million. Increases our variance. Good job Murray. Get it done!

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I was talking about OKC didn't want Melo so that we could get him cheap, just like Denver didn't want Lawson so that we could get him cheap. Very similar situation.

Anyway, comparing Melo to Lawson was just some fun facts some posters brought up because the board had extremely high approval rate for the Lawson signing, even higher than the Melo signing.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Carmelo Anthony says stint with Thunder just 'wasn't a good fit'; calls his offseason journey 'the new norm' in NBA

Hours after a three-team trade that sent Carmelo Anthony to the Atlanta Hawks became official Wednesday, Anthony sounded like someone who had gone through the multiple stages of grief and had finally landed at the point of acceptance.

Anthony was traded from the New York Knicks to Oklahoma City in September, and after just a cup of coffee with the Thunder, he is on the verge of joining his fourth team in one year.

Anthony is expected to be waived by the Hawks, and once he clears waivers, he'll be an unrestricted free agent and probably sign with the Houston Rockets.

"To get bought out, to get waived, you were looked at like, you're done," said Anthony, who was in Washington, D.C., to attend a private Nike event Wednesday night. "Now, it's just almost like the norm. If something doesn't work, go ahead and get a buyout or go ahead and get traded. That's the new norm in our society in basketball. I had to get over that.

"I had a conversation with my wife and family. I said to them, I'm not taking no buyout. I'm not getting waived. And they said, at the end of the day, nobody is going to know that. You have to do what you have to do. It's going to be a blip on your radar. It's on to the next chapter. It took me a while to get to that point where I'm like, OK, I'm going to accept it."

Anthony was coy about the possibility of joining the Rockets. Coincidentally, video footage of him playing basketball with James Harden and good friend Chris Paul in Los Angeles made the rounds on social media Wednesday.

"Obviously, we're just trying to figure it out," Anthony said. "Everybody knows about the trade to Atlanta. I think everything is trying to get cleared right now. I'll let the people do what they do. I just sit back and when the time comes, and the call gets made, we'll make that move."

Anthony's situation with the Thunder came to a head after he elected not to opt out of the final year of his contract, which pays him $27.9 million. Anthony and his reps reportedly collaborated with the Thunder to find a workable solution, resulting in Anthony waiving his no-trade clause to make the Hawks deal possible.

Anthony said ultimately things didn't work out with the Thunder because of timing.

"At the end of the day, it wasn't a good fit," he said. "I think last year -- and I haven't talked about this before -- everything was just so rushed, going to the team for media day and the day before training camp. Them guys already had something in place, and then I come along in the 25th hour like, oh s---, Melo just come on and join us. Like, you can figure it out since you've been around the game for a long time. That's why it was so inconsistent. At times, I had to figure it out on my own rather than somebody over there or people over there helping me."

There are varying opinions on how much adding Anthony could help the Rockets. Houston has an uncertain roster since pushing the Golden State Warriors to seven games in the Western Conference finals. Trevor Ariza is now in Phoenix, and Clint Capela remains unsigned. Still, even Anthony acknowledges that playing with the Western Conference runner-up gives him an opportunity to change the perception that he isn't about winning.

"I think winning, at the end of the day, rewrites everything," he said. "It settles everything. I also look back at this past year. When we were winning, the story was written already. When we started losing, the story is written. It's almost premeditated. I'm playing ball. I'm happy. I'm excited about what's to come, wherever that may be."

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

There's video of them playing ball in LA?

Where?

jch1911 likes this.
  15. JW86

JW86 Member

Sounds like he hasn’t learned a damn thing and if he thinks it was a bad fit, maybe he should’ve tried to fit in (more). The irony is probably lost on him.

16. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

It was a bad fit, I think everyone has acknowledged that. He clearly states he personally tried to figure it out as the season went along. The entire team looked very disorganized a lot of times as well not just Melo. Russ adjusting to having guys who need the ball, George as well. At times PG even had troubles.

Billy Donovan a lot of times would state they're veterans and they'll figure it out, he never really had a good enough gameplan to blend their talents together.

HakeemOnlyFan and DonKnock like this.
  17. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

She’s probably confusing those clips from last year since they recently resurfaced.

Erbnwarfare and DonKnock like this.
  18. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep, also cause that's literally what he is for us, the Rockets were looking to trade Anderson for him last summer, not Ariza.

forchette49 likes this.
  19. hakeemthagreat

I'm not sure if you're a new fan to the NBA, but have you seen Westbrook play? It's always difficult playing with a guy like that

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  20. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

I love when someone gives me a reason to post this gif lol

[​IMG]

HakeemOnlyFan and whathappened like this.