1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Stein] Carmelo Anthony set to sign with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 23, 2018.

?

Do you like the signing of Carmelo Anthony?

Poll closed Jul 23, 2019.
  1. YES

90.9%
  2. NO

9.1%
  1. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

What’s not to like about this signing? He’s a HOF guy that will be in the best position team wise he ever has been in, and those guys get rejuvenated and turn back the clock many times when less is asked of them. And if that doesn’t happen and he sucks they will cut ties and be out the vet minimum.
    He’s definitely the kind of guy that could go off and help you win a game you maybe shouldn’t in the playoffs. All upside no downside. Don’t overthink this.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  2. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

That not really what the issue was. F he doesnt shoot better 3s then ariza. U framing the question wrong. We needed to hit shot weather 3s or 2s. It just happens that the set 3 is the only thing any other person beside harden could do. The real question is would melo been able to score buckets n thats a yes

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i see your point i guess i just disagree. i think we needed more creators. of course more shooters is always good but we relied so much on just 2 players. when cp3 went down we were left with the offense of trying to get up 50 threes to stand a chance. on the contrary look at the warriors. curry, klay, kd, iggy, dray, west, young, and livingston can all either create for themselves or others or both. its very difficult to keep up when we have guys like ariza, tucker, clint, luc, and green who rely on guards to set them up. the fact that we did keep up was a testament to our defense, but overall we could've used one or two more creators.

i'm ok with melo for luc. i think we get better overall. we didn't really need luc to go up 3-2. imagine if we had melo playing as the 7th man instead of green, nene, ryno etc... my only issue is we haven't replaced ariza. ennis isn't on that level.

Easy likes this.
  4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I sound like a broken clock... but AGAIN... this is all fact checkable at NBA.com, basketball reference and other sites ... and the facts say the opposite.

He's never been anywhere near the efficiency of CP3 in his mid range game (well... MAYBE he was in his absolute prime), and certainly wasn't close last year. His mid range FG%'s were downrate bad.

There's also no evidence he is currently a great finisher. He finished fewer shots at the rim than Ariza, at a lower FG%.

There is ONLY evidence that he creates his own shot way more than Ariza... but as noted the further evidence that he doesn't finish those creations efficiently.

AGAIN... I'm not sure people get that getting Melo any shots in any way that involves him being actively involved with the key starters and down the stretch of key games is basically reducing the efficiency of the offense or at best staying neutral, to the extent he plays a role and hits open threes at the % he typically does... which is Ariza-like.

The upside to Melo is (1) in the random possibility he has a great old school Melo game and (2) in his ability to get better by virtue of coming off the bench and playing worse defenders.

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It has been 4th-and-inches with the clock at 00:00, replayed infinite times due to neutral zone infractions.

TheRealAllpro, jevjnd and RasaqBoi like this.
  6. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Gerald Green had some great defensive moments. He came when there was hardly any time for practice. Im glad he gets a whole off season and training camp with the Rockets. He'll be even better defensively this season. With his outisde game, mid range, and athletic ability to get to the rim, I have no doubt he is an excellent Ariza replacement.

With Green's improvement, and the signing of Melo and Ennis, I believe the Rockets are even better than last season and more versitile.

vlaurelio likes this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

GG is going to have the same role as last year. He's no Ariza replacement. not even close

8. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

J.R., 50/fifty, Easy and 2 others like this.
  9. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

I think it is also a bit disingeuous to only use his stats from last year as your point of reference. I think everyone would agree Melo was pretty bad last year...it was also one of his worst years ever and there are a lot of reasons for that.

Some are hoping it was a transitory reason, no offensive scheme at OKC, Russ is not a great facilitator, Melo was improperly used, etc.; whereas others just think it is a sign of Melo's degradation and that it is a very good indicator of his performance from here on out -- that he is done.

It is kind of hard to tell. I am hoping his last year is an albatross. Our system helps a lot of players shine offensively in the stat areas people care about (finishing at the rim, 3's, etc.), so let's see if the open looks and great passing help.

If he still can't do well here, then yeah I guess he's done lol. This is as best of a spot as there is for him at this point in his career. Vet min? I just don't see the downside -- it is like super Joe Johnson!

10. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

A year in the making. A Burt Steele Gawd Tato production. Starring Daryl Morey as the math man, Carmelo Anthony as the third Olympian, and introducing James Ennis as Trevor Ariza.....Run it Back! Coming to the Touyota Center fall 2018.

Bobsputin, jevjnd and napalm06 like this.
  11. napalm06

Disney Movie rights in the works right now.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I hope Green improves his defense during the off-season. It could hardly get worse. That may sound harsh, but lord, did he make a ton of mistakes on defense. GG often looked lost out there on that end. Sure hope you're right and ramping up for the season with a full camp helps that a lot. He did have a few good moments. Maybe he can build on that.

I think Ennis will surprise some people, although I would much rather have Ennis backing up Trevor, not as a replacement. Morey must see an unpolished jewel there that can be raised up a level by our system, and our coaching staff. Melo doesn't make us younger, of course, but he has other skills on offense that will help us, in my opinion. I really think he'll benefit on defense from playing with CP3, as well as getting those on target passes and open looks. I'd still like to see us add another wing with skills.

BasketballMind likes this.
  14. napalm06

I think people were a lot more skeptical about the price we paid for CP3 versus Lawson.
    Dorsey, Johnson, Papa, Prigioni, Pick
    versus
    Beverley, Dekker, Harrell, Hilliard, Liggins, Williams, Wiltjer, Pick

3 rotation-quality players in the Paul trade and 2 prospects people were irrationally high on (Dekker, Wiltjer).
    Denver got a bunch of driftwood trash in the Lawson trade (though Prigs is a legend), but still won due to receiving the pick.

15. JD88

JD88 Member

Melo will be a better shooter than creator in Houston.

16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Oh I fully agree that cost impacted the approval ratings greatly... I just think it's funny as hell... in a 'take that for data' kinda way...

Personally, I thought the Lawson move was gonna go down as one of Moreys slickest moves ever - then you factor in that he got Lawson to sign off the guarantee on the next year - that deal looked to be a thing of beauty... 97% thought so - lol!

napalm06 likes this.
  17. napalm06

I was one of the 97%. :(
    Who could've thought that a former all-star caliber player couldn't play up to a non-guaranteed contract.
    Exactly why I'm wary of Melo, though I know circumstances are completely different.
    The only reason I feel confident is because of the CP3 effect.

kjayp likes this.
  18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am not that worried because the contract is so small. Unlike Dwight a few years ago, Morey will cut Melo if he acts up. I am against signing him with the MLE. But a one year vet min is pretty much zero risk.

The only possible trouble is if Chris Paul sides with Melo in the case of Melo being a disruptive force. That will tear the team apart. But I think CP is smart enough to avoid that.

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Sorry if I gave the impression that's what I was doing. Pick a year, lol.

He's always been an inefficient mid range shooter.

To be fair to him... almost EVERY player in modern history is a less efficient mid range shooter. That's the nature of math and analytics and the game. And to be more fair to him, CP3 is the opposite, as one of the best/most efficient mid range guys ever.

In 11/12 Melo led the league in scoring. He still shot 37% on shots 3 to 10 feet. He shot 46% on shots 10 to 16 feet, and 43% on shots 16 feet to three pointer. It's just not efficient. And made worse by the fact he shot 413 shots from 16 feet to the three point line, which was basically on par with both the number of layups and three pointers he took. HIs career high in scoring was in 06/07... he shot 39% and under for every one of those categories above, and 29% from three that year.

How about just make it simpler.... his career high TS% is 56.8%. That's just not good. It's even worse than Kobe's (!! lol) though beats out AI. He hasn't been above 53.5% TS% since 2013/2014... so 4+ years ago when he was 29.

In other words... yes, last year was ESPECIALLY bad, but he's always been an inefficient scorer... and in the MODERN NBA, that's a big problem. That he's gotten older and even less efficient isn't a good sign.

Yes and no. There is probably a fallacy that this happens more than it actually does.

Like PJ Tucker. 37% three point shooter last year. 36% the prior year. 39% in 2013/2014.

Eric Gordon. 36% three point shooter last year. 37% the year before. 38%, 45% and 45% the three prior years with NOP.

Trevor Ariza shot 40% from three his last year with Washington. He was 35%-37% with Houston.

What the Rockets do is relatively simple, though made completely possible by the capabilities of Harden first and now Harden and CP3 orchestrating it. And it's just math and ratios. Shoot MORE threes, less twos and less classically inefficient twos. Players aren't getting better, just shooting more efficient mix of shots. All three guys mentioned above had higher TS%s than they previously did.

I certainly hope Melo buys into this.

pwnyxpress likes this.
  20. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Context people should use it when they throw those out. With both melo n ty lawson u gave up nothing. So even if they didnt or wouldnt pan out its all good. So i can see those votes the way they were.