1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Not much to dislike about the Rockets signing Carmelo Anthony

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 23, 2018.

?

Do you like the Rockets move to sign Carmelo Anthony to a one-year, $2.4M deal?

1. YES

460 vote(s)
    95.2%
  2. NO

23 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Sports show talking heads IQ decreases every time they open their pie hole. They are wrong FAR more often than they are right...about just about anything. Yet people keep listening. The average fan has a much better take than most talking heads. Heck, the average drunk fan has a much better take than most of them.

So, hearing something like this actually indicates it is likely a very positive move. Recall that they all said what a powerhouse OKC was going to be when they acquired George and Melo. Wrong then, wrong now.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

*IF* The rockets win 60+ games goes back to the Western conference Finals or even a Championship
    WITH Melo playing a significant role

What kind of contract does Melo get the following year??
    This is a shot for him to get one last PayDay

Rocket River

jb86 likes this.
  3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

4. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

It is highly likely that CP3 and Gordon miss chunks of time with injury next year. Having an extra scorer in Melo will be invaluable. We all saw what happens when Harden sits and the 2nd team (sans Paul) just stands around passing the ball around the 3 point line until there's 2 seconds left on the shot clock

amaru, Hard_foul and BoneYardDog like this.
  5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[ClutchFans] Not much to dislike about the Rockets signing Carmelo Anthony
    _______

@YOLO

6. Huricane

Huricane Contributing Member

Melo is 34 now and there are signs that his game has started to deteriorate.
    He will be 35 when the playoffs roll around.
    I hope Melo becomes a team player and plays within the boundaries of his role in the same way that Clint Capela does or Trevor Ariza did.

I would certainly expect the Rockets to pay him the mid-level exception next year and maybe more if he plays well.
    However, I would let a 35 year old Melo walk if he wants more than 10 to 12 per year, especially considering the deterioration in his game.

7. BoneYardDog

BoneYardDog Contributing Member

Being a glass half full kind of guy, I expect Melo to be the 2nd highest scorer on the team next year, slightly ahead of CP3. Now that Harden has that MVP to add to his resume I would expect that his mission now is to win a ring, that should make a difference in his game a little.

We know Melo chooses to come to Houston, has a better team around him than OKC and has his friend CP3 to help his transition. My biggest concern is not his age it is his relationship with D'Antoni. Looks like peace has been made between them for now at least. I think he will and has already accepted his role on the Rockets and still WANTS to come here. I think the doom and gloom and "cancer" thing is overrated, he had other options.

8. Vanilla Thunder

Vanilla Thunder Contributing Member

I am one of the 18 no votes....We happy few... :p

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

My point is . .. there is a reason for him to play hard and try

Rocket River

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh there wasn't before?

11. topfive

topfive CF OG

The sports media in a nutshell...

Summer 2017: Melo traded to Thunder | "BRILLIANT move by the Thunder. They immediately become the team most likely to take down Golden State."

Summer 2018: Melo signs with Rockets | "TERRIBLE move by the Rockets. Not enough balls for all these ballhogs. They'll finish behind the Warriors, Lakers, Jazz and Thunder."

Deuce, hakeem94, kevcai and 5 others like this.
  12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

let's hope they continue being wrong, I love being the underdog and shut everyone up. Like last season "CP3 was the biggest loser DERRR"

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

not really
    He knew he was getting 28 and 29 million last year and this year
    He had no say in where he played
    He wasn't overly happy at all

I think he will be happier here

Rocket River

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

he actually did and accepted it last year

15. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Rockets were always his choice but he settled for OKC because Knicks wouldn't take Anderson and he really wanted out of New York.

Deuce and hakeem94 like this.
  16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

hakeem94 and J.R. like this.
  17. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

hmmm. I thought the 2nd half of the season we won more than the 1st half.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

We talk about how Melo has humbled because of last season, he will learn to play team ball, to his strengths, etc, that he needs to play well to get a last shot at a big contract, paul, harden will fix him. The problem is that Melo is stupid. He will do what he does and then blame other people for it. He will blame the team for not having the right strategy to integrate his talents, he will scoff at giving up minutes or starting spot. He will mope and look pissed having to sit when he can't stay with the other teams on defense.

But he's cheap.

19. Huricane

Huricane Contributing Member

It has nothing to do with money and everything to do with who else was on the team with Carmelo.

Remember Chauncey Billups?

The few good years that Carmelo had where the team also played well in the playoffs was when Carmelo was in Denver and they also had Chauncey Billups on the team.

Despite Carmelo's scoring and George Karl coaching the team, their season winning percentage and playoff success really should be attributed to Chauncey.

Why?
    It was Chauncey who had a a passion for winning and provided maturity, mentor-ship and leadership.
    He also lead by example by playing defense and team ball, forcing everyone else to do the same.
    Remember, Chauncey won a championship with Detroit so he had some credibility and guys followed his lead.

If Carmelo does not have another player on the team that provides focus and leadership, then Carmelo becomes a me first player and a liability.
    This is what we saw with Carmelo when he played in New York and Oklahoma City.
    But Carmelo can be a huge asset for the Rockets if he has strong willed team-mates that force him to play team ball.
    He won't listen to coaches (i.e. George Karl in Denver and when Mike D'Antoni in New York).
    However, he will listen to team-mates and since Chris Paul is mentally tough and hates losing, I think Chris Paul will keep Carmelo focused on winning.

#119 Huricane, Jul 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    hakeem94 likes this.
  20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

100% This!