1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luka Doncic to Mavericks

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rockets13champs, Jun 21, 2018.

1. omgTHEpotential

I thought it was a somewhat obvious bait.

@BigShasta naughty boy

2. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

3. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

When keeping it real goes wrong...

Yeah, Howard was better. Easily.

4. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Well that's where we disagree I guess. He was a defensive beast, rebounder and great roller...and that's about it. No post moves or passing out of post, no jumper. I prefer passing and shooting, but that's just me. Also Gasol was a great defender too.

5. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

People forget how good Orlando Magic Dwight was. Marc Gasol was a beast and I like the fundamentals as well but he wasnt on Dwights level at their peak...and it really isnt even that close.

roslolian likes this.
  6. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Going to be a bust.

Zboy likes this.
  7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I didn't overrate it but NBA athletes are the largest, most athletic, best conditioned men in the world. Larry Bird was plenty athletic for his era and he didn't skip any games to work on his athleticism.

Trust me, the actual Tracy McGrady is a better player than the Euro TMac in every instance.

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Dwight Howard was a superior player across the board. Maybe you watch too much minor league basketball.

Zboy and King1 like this.
  9. CCorn

CCorn Member

At one time Dwight was considered the clear #2 in the league behind Lebron, then his back gave out. Gasols just always been second tier star.

apollo33 likes this.
  10. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Marc Gasol's "prime" came up much later than Dwight's - when he lost extra weight. That year he was considered by many best center in NBA. Their game couldn't be more different, but I still think you could build a better championship team around Gasol than Dwight.

11. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Howard dragged the Magic to the Finals and player like an MVP. I don’t think Marc Gasol has ever reached that level

Zboy likes this.
  12. omgTHEpotential

That is simply not true.

13. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

James Harden isn't athletic compared to NBA standards. Yet he is reigning MVP.

Uses his craftiness & shooting acumen, not flying by guys or throwing down dunks. He does have great ball control, timing, balance, & strength. But he is def not athletic by NBA standards.

14. Realjad

Would you take the notoriously unathletic, 'Mr. Fundamentals' Tim Duncan over Dwight?

15. andersongo

andersongo Member

Tim Duncan is unathletic ? How so ?

apollo33 and Zboy like this.
  16. andersongo

andersongo Member

The key for Doncic is whether he can make NBA defenders respect his 3 - point shot. If he is not an elite shooter, defenders are going to go under the screen all day long and challenge him to "turn the corner" and drive to the hoop. He does not posses blow-by speed but does have elite ball-handling and coordination for his size along with sheer power that enables him to easily skip past defenders going over screens. He can see over a defense and zip around accurate passes by reacting almost instantly to help defense which is what makes him a truly elite prospect. But again, he will depend on opponents respecting his shot to open up his game as I don't see him being able to replicate the bully ball that he often indulged in against smaller wings in the Euroleague and Liga ACB.

17. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Let's hope so.

Mavs deserve better.

King1 likes this.
  18. Realjad

Tim Duncan wasn't athletic. Again, I'm going by NBA standards. Yes, compared to a normal person he is a world class athlete. Larry Bird was a world class athlete, but not considered 'athletic' by NBA standards. Doncic and basically any other NBA player capable of running up-and-down the floor for >35 mpg are all technically athletic.

Look at Blake Griffin, Deandre Jordan, Dwight Howard ect.. Those guys are 'athletic' by NBA standards
    Case in point. 'Experts' initially labeled Anthony Davis as an 'Athletic Tim Duncan'.

Duncan, even in his younger years had no jump. He was a big long guy who could get up the floor and had just enough lateral movement to stay in front of most. He was able to last so long while being great by being a dominant skill guy, who was very smart, very consistent, and very reliable.

For many, no 'WOW' factor from flashes of athleticism made him one of the most boring players to watch, however it was a pleasure if you enjoyed the clinic of skills he possessed.. Mr. Fundamental.

#158 Realjad, Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  19. andersongo

andersongo Member

Elite coordination, phenomenal first step out of the triple threat (for a 7-footer), posters too many to count... You don't need to be a carbon copy of Deandre Jordan to be considered as athletic. Duncan was an athletic specimen who has distilled his athletic abilities to such a degree due to his high BBall IQ that no motion was wasted, thus making him less flashy. Doncic is not unathletic by any means. He has elite hand-eye coordination and body balance at 6 ft 8 and he can posterize anyone if given a head of steam. It's just that he is deficient in other athletic categories and that the style of play in the Euroleague can perniciously hide such deficiencies (unable to turn the corner against bigs that can defend the perimeter, no blow-by speed and very average lateral movement).

20. Realjad

I just think you are deluded if you think Tim Duncan was some super freak athlete.

If I wanted to I could write up a nice paragraph making Doncic sound like some unique athletic beast too.

I think this article sums up Timmy very well
    https://www.sbnation.com/2015/4/23/8478385/tim-duncan-stats-clippers-spurs-game-2-nba-playoffs-2015

1. "Despite his averaging 20 points and 11 boards per, you and your buddies aren't saying to each other, "Man, I really can't wait for that San Antonio Spurs game tonight." All Duncan and the Spurs do is win, but it's Timmy's fundamental approach that could put any casual viewer to sleep.

He's never really been athletic. It's simply business, with Duncan always looking for the easiest shot possible and relying on his fundamentals to do the work for him. He's got the ability to drive and throw up a hook shot, but it's the bank shot from as far out as 15 feet that has given Duncan the recognition of arguably being one of the top 10 players to ever step onto the hardwood."