1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2.0]Cyberex, paging Cyberex...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Feb 17, 2016.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

If Capela plays for the qo there would be zero incentive for the Rockets to further invest in him, since they will most likely lose him for nothing if he plays well. That would be a terrible outcome for Capela. Likely he would come off the bench all year, isolated by the team, and end up like Nerlens Noel next year.

It is in Capelas best interest to accept the rockets offer, likely around $12m a year. Or, the best case scenario for both parties would be a sign and trade where Capela gets a higher pay, and Rockets get to upgrade their team(Butler or Kawhi).

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Morey's tweets suggest he is comfortable where he is with the process. I like the confidence. We don't know what is going on behind the scenes. It is easy for us to be frustrated because we don't know all of the particulars.

Plowman likes this.
  3. malakas

malakas Member

Capela has leverage.
    We are a contending team without any other good C and without capspace this or next year. That's his leverage. We need him.

DonKnock and Vivi like this.
  4. jwayne

jwayne Member

"Lien issues" are nothing for Fertitta. He has this on just about every project. He knows how to save money and he has the money to drag things out, then people settle. Its nothing to get worked up over. These types of things are standard practice for him. Ask anyone who has worked with/for him. There are all kinds of tricks to the trade...

don grahamleone likes this.
  5. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep, that's really the only reason why i'm not in panic mode, i have absolute trust in Morey and our front office.

6. malakas

malakas Member

Sorry but how one does other business means nothing on how he fares as a NBA owner.
    For example the Bucks owners are 3 billionaires (with a B :rolleyes: ) who suck ass as owners.

7. finsraider

finsraider Member

I think it would require an overpayment for sure, but $$$ has a way of changing minds. My guess is the offer right now is like 5 years $80 million.

8. malakas

malakas Member

From all the players who have EVER taken the QO only one resigned with his team. 10 years ago.

9. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

If he signs the QO we have to trade him. Get a temporary stop gap at center and an asset to use for an upgrade at SF.

If the warriors didn’t have boogie I wouldn’t be worried about losing Capela, but without knowing how we’ll he’ll come back from the injury im a bit concerned about the center position.

10. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Every owner thinks they are the smartest in the room because they are all very successful outside of the NBA. $40 Million in liens may be part of the process to Tilman trying to dispute certain aspects of labor but the fact that it's making waves in the news is not a good thing no matter how you spin it.

malakas likes this.
  11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

There is no threat of it. They won't be able to create cap space to fit a 30M+ player.

In the Harden & Paul run, this team will be adjusted via Trades / MLEs and draft.

If you want Butler, you need him to do the "opt in and trade" in June. In the meantime, if you lose Capela for nothing, that is poor asset management.

dlite316, DonKnock, BigMaloe and 3 others like this.
  12. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

If he takes the QO I think he gets a no trade clause so it'd have to be somewhere he's willing to go.

13. CXbby

CXbby Member

To be clear, Rockets absolutely cannot afford to allow Capela to take the QO and leave for nothing next year. He is by far the greatest trade asset the Rockets have(they aren't trading Harden or Paul), and the only path to upgrading the team.

With that in mind, if I am the Rockets, I would kindly remind Capela: as much as the Rockets pumped and built up his value this year(coaches and players crediting teams improvement to Capela), they can just as easily take it all away. The Rockets will do at least 80% as well with a replacement level player(who Harden and Paul would elevate to above replacement level). Then the narrative turns to how Capelas is a system player that isn't really needed.

If I am the Rockets I would let Capela(and his agent) know, we will destroy your value next year if this is the path you choose. Do not bite the hand that feeds you(that has created you). See: Montiejunas, Donatas.

dlite316 likes this.
  14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

You can't trade Capela if he takes the QO offer. Well you can, but he has to approve it. And his trade number is 4.7M.

The more likely scenario is if they come to an "impasse" Morey (with Capela's agent) looks to find a new home for Capela via a S&T. Capela gets his money, the Rockets get assets.

Rox>Mavs and malakas like this.
  15. Vivi

Vivi Member

@aelliott @BimaThug sorry if i ask this, pretty sure you already mentioned this other times but i can't remember.

Assuming we sign & trade Capela signed to a 80M x 4 years contract, how much would his salary be considered in the trade? Around 10/11M?

16. malakas

malakas Member

We can't use this threat. CP3 is how old? We can't waste a year of our limited window of contending to suppress Capela's value.
    Since his agent should be well aware of this, he will call this bluff immediately.

17. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

We can't afford him to take QO but can't afford to pay the Man? Which one is it? As you see with the Ryan Anderson deal it's better to be flexible than to over pay a player and you can't get better..

18. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Let him take the QO and get another dose of reality next summer too. I think Jordan will come for the MLE.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. malakas

malakas Member

and the more likely scenario is that other teams will either offer crumbs or simply wait for next summer if they are interested in him. If there is no real threat of matching a contract then why would a team hurry?
    It's not like the hybris with the Lakers..Capela isn't a star like PG13 or Kawhi for teams to be desperate to get him a year sooner even by trading away assets.