1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2.0]Cyberex, paging Cyberex...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Mr Chuck Norris

Meh...looks like DJ will be playing here next year after his Dallas trip. Hope we get some value for Clint. Hopefully he gets an offer this offseason though.

cerophilik likes this.
  2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

would we even have capspace to sign DJ though?

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

hes going to play for pennies bc hes ready to come home, well apparently thats what the rumors say :)

pippendagimp likes this.
  4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm kind of wondering if tilman's isn't actually really happy if clint takes that QO -- that's about $13M in his pocket for this season not including lux tax. he might even be able to push morey into getting us under the tax line altogether

bilaal14 likes this.
  5. Vivi

Vivi Member

Likely only the MLE, maybe the no tax one which might be around 9M i think, if not, the tax MLE at pretty muich 6M i guess.

pippendagimp likes this.
  6. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

I ain’t even mad at this. Quick question, if he does play for the QO, will we get the non tax MLE?

7. Vivi

Vivi Member

I dont' really know, i mean, that would help Tilman to keep a lot money, but the team/roster will come out demolished by this imo, losing Clint for nothing would be a disaster for us.

pippendagimp likes this.
  8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Tilman seems like he's off to a bad start as owner. What a disaster.

Little Bit and htxaf like this.
  9. jwayne

jwayne Member

What leverage? Where is CC’s huge offer sheet from another team? There isn’t one.

DonKnock and rocketsmetalspd like this.
  10. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Has a player ever taken the qualifying offer then re-up with the same team next year? I feel like that never happens since taking the QO means they are are UFA next year and presumably disgruntled.

11. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

huge risk on his part- but im actually ok with this..

Melo signing with Houston?

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

were talking about actual FA's here. CC is going to be a houston rocket next year no matter what happens unless they for some reason trade him

13. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Wow. That’s actually a really good point regarding the tax line. Clint’s qualifying would be what? 3.5mil? The tax isn’t implemented until mid season or something right. If we have a rookie play well first couple months maybe then we can off load Ryno along with that rookie and future picks to a team with space and we would be in a very healthy cap situation. Again, I do think it’s going to be damn near impossible to offload Ryno without salary back, and I don’t even know if there are any teams with that much space let alone be willing. But would have never thought there was even a scenario where we would be under the luxury tax.

14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You act like this is it, when it's obvious, we're working..have an order that things need to happen. And as a Championship level team, we are afforded all the advantages.

Go to the Chicken Little thread.

xiki likes this.
  15. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, i mean, if a player takes the qo is literally for one of these two reasons:

- he hates the enviroment
    - the team didn't pay him as much as he wanted and he ends up feeling disprespected

16. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

FYI (and I’m not an insider) I was lucky enough to have a conversation with someone who would know: the perception on the inside is that Les was/would be cheaper than Tilman.

Who knows if that turns out to be true, but this person insisted that Tilman is willing to spend more than Les would.

17. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Or it could mean that he's going to go into the season with the possibility of negotiating a long term deal... if not he's a huge trade asset that Morey can use at the deadline to possibly trade off Ryno's contract and possibly find that 3rd star we've been after at the same time.

Everyone is always looking at the negative side of things. If anything this can quickly be turned into a positive by our FO.

It says something when teams with so much cap space only give offer sheets to the likes of Zach Lavine and Kyle Anderson etc. over a 7' system oriented center with limited offensive skills.

18. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Best case scenario to keep our wing depth afloat is to resign Luc, nab Carmelo on the min, and try and trade Anderson + assets for someone like Bazemore.

Thoughts?

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah wing players that can play multiple positions are always going to be coveted in this league, especially in this era. certainly more than a pnr center

FLASH21 likes this.
  20. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Would he be really an attractive trade asset as an expiring contract looking for a payday? If he's locked into a reasonable contract, I would think he'd be a much better trade asset.