1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

not looking good today

2. Buck Turgidson

There's always next year. I was shocked they made it that far in the first place.

So...UNC was my other team, for friend reasons, but if they get knocked out and it's Texas Tech vs the Oregon St. pederasts vs the SEC...

I think I'm rooting for Tech. Lesser of evils and all that.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Disappointing ending but I’ll take a Big 12 Championship and trip to the CWS in year 2 under Pierce.

4. Buck Turgidson

Kingham is the guy that let them down, but it's ok. Watch out for Zubia at DH/1B/LF

I hope they have some pitchers ready for next year....

And I do believe I will not have to see Roger Clemens on any broadcast at all, unless his ego demands it.

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

This appears to be an important season for UT. After last years recruiting class being a good one. This upcoming class has according to Rivals a majority of the top 100 players that are from Texas going to A&M and OU, along with a WR out of Lake Travis going to Ohio St.

6. gucci888

Interestingly enough, think a good season would do more for our OOS prospects than in-state ones. Herman has already pulled some highly ranked recruits out of CA, AZ, GA, and supposedly sit in good shape with a few more including 2 of the Top 5 RBs in the nation.

peleincubus likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Got to see him last year and he is indeed a total stud. He grew up in Columbus and moved to Texas as a kid, still has family there. His HS QB from last year signed and enrolled there in December. Came down to UT and them and they won out.

peleincubus likes this.
  8. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Hello all - can someone please tell me when is Homecoming game for UT this season?
    I will be in Houston in Q3 and want to see if I can attend a game.
    Thanks

9. gucci888

Nov. 3rd vs. West Virginia

10. gucci888

Texas moved up into the Top 10 in both 247 and Rivals team rankings with a pair of commitments yesterday. Flipped a CB previously committed to Oregon and also plucked the 2nd ranked player out of Oklahoma.

11. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Thanks

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Thanks J.R.

Not much encouraging news here. After last season, it feels like Herman is trying to lower expectations a bit. Tim Beck and the QB situation still seem to be the big question marks.

14. gucci888

Ya sounds like he's dialed everything back some which I think is a positive. But even if Beck is named the play caller, hard to imagine a scenario where Herman doesn't jump in the first sign of trouble. If that's the case, no reason he shouldn't just take the reins from the start.

Hustle Town likes this.
  15. Bob Barker 007

Looking at recruiting classes in this manner is too reactive. There are other factors at play than a good season on the field, and in fact, having a good season has not mattered much for Texas getting highly ranked recruiting classes. Herman got his first full-season boost last year. Riley (Stoops leaving so late) and Fisher are getting their first-year recruiting boost this year, though winning 9 or 10 games would help us get a top 5 recruiting class more consistently rather than a default top 12 class. Rivals is the worst recruiting service by evaluation out there. Use the 247 Composite.

Hustle Town and peleincubus like this.
  16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He just hasn't admitted he made a complete mistake with the Beck hire yet. However, he is smart and he will not let Beck ruin his opportunity at Texas like Watson did Charlie Strong.

17. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

18. gucci888

You mean Herman didn't have glowing things to say about bolting on your "brothers" before the season was even finished? Shame Herman let this get out but it'll be an interesting dynamic to see how coaches handle players sitting out bowl games as the trend grows.

19. Bob Barker 007

The toughness and character that Charlie Strong claims to have instilled in his players is not showing. I don’t know if it ever was put into them. Strong’s players seem to be acting out worse than Mack’s players, if that’s possible.

20. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This seems to be something new that coaches will have to work against in recruiting. Obviously it'll have to be explained to potential recruits.

That said, I don't really care for any class of UT players in recent years. I'll take whatever criticism comes from a Strong recruit with a grain of salt because it's not like they inspired any confidence in fans.