1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shelburne: Thinks Clint Capela is leaning fowards taking his qualifying offer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by blahblehblah, Jul 5, 2018.

1. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

OK, making money justifies making money? Not a defensible position. Thoughts on the drug trade? The war industry?

I agree: athletes should make as much as they can legally. But the poster's original point was that teachers, etc, don't get paid so much. And that is true.

CVcrew likes this.
  2. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Exactly. I’m partial to both sides, especially the player. As much as I would love to retain Clint, he should not play below his value, long-term. Anything less than 17 is a joke for what he brings to the table.

PhilCollins likes this.
  3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yep because he's happy on and off court in houston, got james harden and cp3 feeding him, no state tax and low ocst of living in houston, p12m per in houston is almost like p16m somewhere else..

Htownballer38 likes this.
  4. Do WHAT?

Do WHAT? Member

5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

If I was Clint I would take 12, plus 12 under the table. Or just give him some adidas money and sell 1% of rockets shares to adidas or something.

ps and if i am rockets i am paying 24 mil

to Foster Brothers

6. jwayne

jwayne Member

Pride gets in the way big time for these guys. I see it in baseball all the time. Clubs go to young players with star potential and offer them “club friendly” deals worth uber millions, but the players and their agents laugh at a $50M 6 year deal because they are sure when free agency hits (years later) they will get $150M over 6. These guys throw away opportunities to get life changing financial security over pride... Hope they don’t get injured. SMH

7. Vivi

Vivi Member

I agree with you on the bold part, but not sure is that automatic he gets the money he wants next summer, there'll be some teams with cap space but still, some of them already have a center, some of them will go after other players, some of them will look to sign stars, not role players...the fact that he'll be unrestricted doesn't mean he's going to get the max imo, and that path is still a risk, in one year a lot of things can happen, he can get injured, he can get benched and get screwed like Noel...hopefully both parts involved here will meet in the middle.

jch1911, Stormy1234 and saleem like this.
  8. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

Agree . 48M is a lot of Money.
    Save your future!. He is 23 years old.
    If Clint cotinue getting better he can get a biiger contract at 27.

Stormy1234 and jwayne like this.
  9. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Sure I’m just saying if it were you, and you were a confident young man....you’d probably bet on yourself more and at the same time be thinking you just timed out wrong. He’s probably thinking he can play his hand and has a decent chance to hit on the turn or river card still.

10. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Yeah if this is indeed true, I’d be more inclined to risk the QO and wait for UFA next year. My health is good and each year I’ve improved. Unless I got an offer from the rockets that’s at least only 10-20% less than what I think id make next year, I’d risk the QO.

A lot of this comes down to expected market for UFA’s next year. You might think he’s not being smart, but everyone’s risk profile is different.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

1) There were a number of teams with max money this year (Atlanta, Sac, Bulls, Dallas, ATL). Look what happened.

2) There are a ton of players taking 1 year deals this summer. That SUPPLY will all be there to SOAK up that money next summer.

3) Capela plays a niche position. How many teams need rim running Cs at MAX dollars? Can those teams get a cheaper C and better allocate their resources by throwing more money at WINGS which are important in today's NBA?

4) Also, don't forget Cousins and DeAndre Jordan (as well as Nerlens Noel and Gortat) will be back out in the market. SUPPLY again.

See, these are the ripple effects that have to be considered. It is not a black and white thing.

You can bet Morey is outlining this to Capela and his agent.

D-rock, mario elie, PolarBear and 4 others like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Players see other players making more (Anderson, Noah, etc.) and say they deserve more than what they can get in restricted free agency. It is only human, but the reality is that markets conditons change.

Also, to play devil’s advocate, is RFA really unfair to players? They can opt to be unrestricted a year later and it was part of the CBA.

Very few players as good as Capela go the QO route because they lose a lot of money in the first year of the QO.

4/60 is something I believe the Rockets would gladly do. When you start getting into the 4/80 range, the Rockets would let him find a team to offer that much or risk him becoming an unrestricted free agent.

13. Vivi

Vivi Member

Dwight, RoLo, Vuc will also be free agent fwiw, and no one will sign for more than 10/15M per year imo, Valanciunas and Marc Gasol have player options, i think at least Vala is likely to be a player in free agency.

PolarBear likes this.
  14. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

I 100% agree with you. The consensus seems to be the Rox are treating him poorly instead of thinking his market value isn’t high right now

BigMaloe likes this.
  15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

There you go. Thanks for pointing out those other Cs in the SUPPLY.

PolarBear and Vivi like this.
  16. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

While I agree with pretty much everything said I just want to point something out.

Taking the qualifying offer and obtaining a 4/80 next year opposed to a 4/60 for instance isn’t a 20m difference.

Not only is he exposing himself to risk, he is severely underpaying himself for another year. He is losing one year of service and the income of a high end salary.

Essentially it would be 5/85 vs 4/60 + 1st year of next contract (25m?) and ultimately that is also 5/85

Also, to further explain the importance of delaying for a year. His first 4yr Big contract right now is at age 23. His next would be 27. The last opportunity would be 31. That’s a much friendlier market than age 32 if he delays a year with the QO.

#216 BigMaloe, Jul 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  17. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

5 yrs only if he signs with rockets, correct? They can’t give him that much and compete.

18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think it's very difficult to predict what the market will be like next year . Aside from the market , there is Clints potential growth or stagnation to consider . What if he doesn't get much better this season ? How will other teams view that ?

I think there is definitely a middle ground that Clint and the rockets can find , but cooler heads have to prevail and clints agent actually has to have his best interests at heart.

Maybe instead of offering a 4 year deal we can offer 3 with a player option or just plain 3. That gets him back on the market sooner , so maybe he will be willing to take 12-15 range instead of holding out for a higher amount .

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Bad offseason gets worse if Capela takes the QO

At least Holic will finally be happy

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. DaBeard

DaBeard Member