1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Melo Thread] Woj: OKC and Melo to part ways

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 6, 2018.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Even with Anthony's comments after the season, both Presti and coach Billy Donovan praised Anthony throughout the season for his professionalism.

"I think he's being very candid and very honest. I respect that. I respect the fact he's being open about that," Presti said. "Now, we have the same responsibility. We have to be candid and honest with him. One of the things I really like about Carmelo is he's a mature person. You can talk to him. He listens. He's been professional with us within the building.

DonKnock and don grahamleone like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Ryno is likely the better defender because he can defend the post and he is predictable. That is to say, everyone knows what he is going to do. With Anthony you have no idea when he is going to switch or fight through a pick or roll with his man to the basket. This causes chaos for a switching defense, especially against a team like GSW.

I am fine with Anthony for the minimum. He hasn't exactly received good coaching and maybe he switches enough to not destroy our defense. Perhaps with a better offense, his threat on the offensive end is enough to gulp and accept his defense.

3. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

I'm not opposed to signing Melo but not if it cost us the Fresh Prince.

DonKnock likes this.
  4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I will riot if we don’t bring back Luc or Ariza but bring in Melo.

justtxyank likes this.
  5. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

I don’t mind him starting. I liked ya showing up big in the first quarter, putting in a defensive squad. Then we could pull a gsw 3rd quarter then putting in the Defense squad in the 4th.

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

There is no way in hell I’d rather have Carmelo Anthony than PJ Tucker. I’d take a non gimpy Luc over him as well. I’m not saying I’m against starting Carmelo next season but it’s hard for me to see how he’s a better Rocket than either of those guys.

justtxyank likes this.
  7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Carmelo most certainly doesn't suck, he's still one of the 50 best offensive players in the league. But he's not an elite threat anymore, and when you cease to be that you have to be willing to take a reduced role, or commit yourself to other areas, he won't do that.

How does he improve the team if he's not scoring...a lot. He gives back whatever he may add becuase he is sub par in every area aside from solid individual scoring ability. For 10-20 minutes off the bench for the league minimum, sign me up. For 30 minutes, taking up what little spending money we have, no thank you. He has never wavered from his belief that he's too good to be a role player.

People really need to stop comparing him to Anderson, there's never, ever been a legitimate reason for that to be made. Anderson for Carmelo was never a trade option, and Carmelo being better than Anderson isn't something impressive. Anderson is gonna make a f**k ton of money, it sucks, but it will happen regardless of what Carmelo Anthony does.

don grahamleone, RasaqBoi and HillBoy like this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh no. he would absolutely be a disaster trying to fill ariza's void. It doesn't matter if he understood his role or not. His role should be off the bench on this team.

Ariza was a significant part of houston being a top defensive team. which has become the adjustment gameplan to beating GS. Melo's defense is atrocious and a severe downgrade to this defense as a whole. They then become the subpar defense houston has had in the past who had no chance in beating GS

HillBoy likes this.
  9. hakeemthagreat

The Cavs got the finals with Lebron's atrocious defense all year. The point is Melo isn't any worse than Ryno, who Melo's FAR better. Aslong as we keep out identity from last year, we'll be fine...

10. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

How
    He'll if he get 10 we win the ball game.. What Ariza get?

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This is the key of course -- if we don't get him cheap then the deal is a non-starter.

Nook and justtxyank like this.
  12. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

PJ is a better rebounder and hustler but lol PJ aint taking nobody off the dribble and scoring tho.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If he gets ten we win unless of course the other team scores more.

You guys forget that we turned that series into a defensive slugfest. Ariza was a big part of that.

There was a game where ariza got into early foul trouble in that series. I forget, how did that one work out?

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't really want him, but would like to see LeBron failing to recruit yet another guy.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

If he doesnt play then, Ryno is a better defender bc at least he is giving up 0 pts.

Melo goes into the - territory and allows scores all over the place

KingCheetah and justtxyank like this.
  16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

LOL, lets just ignore the other side of the ball entirely.

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

lol, some of y’all really place no value on things like defense

PJ and healthy Luc over Melo for this team all day, PJ especially

sealclubber1016 and justtxyank like this.
  18. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I realize that might happen, but we could just cut him if he becomes a distraction. My only concern is that he could cost more than the minimum. If he affects our ability to re-sign LMM or add another contributor then no thanks. But for the veteran minimum who cares? It's a no risk move.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

a post completely out of left field...

20. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

I'll tell you what's a disaster, Ariza 42min and 0 pts in game 7. Ariza was a great defender but he's lost a step today.

I 'll start Melo any day over Boute.