1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Does anybody here think it's possible the Rockets don't make any major moves in free agency?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, a lot of those 1 year deals. Plus it is going to be a TOUGH battle in the west to make the playoffs for some teams.

Morey will observe the landscape and see the best value. But for us fans, it is tough to watch Ariza leave right now and not have people to fill in......unless you subscribe to the theory that Eric Gordon will be promoted to starter at SF. Which I am starting to really wonder about.

D-rock and LUK3 like this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

same here. thats a lineup that is most effective in spurts and limited time. not something ideal over the course of a full game to maximize versatility and lineup purposes.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Not making any moves would concern me. Don't need a splash, but we have to add a viable rotation wing.

Losing Ariza and Luc is a lot of defense to replace, and right now the only guy we have that could fill that role is Melton, and his ability from 3 is still unproven.

If Gordon moves into the starting lineup, then it looks fine, but our bench would basically consist of the serviceable Green, unproven rookies, MCW, and the corpses of Nene and Anderson.

D-rock likes this.
  4. macan

macan Member

after we officially bring back capela and luc, then i'll be more comfortable. still a bit nervous for now

rammo and D-rock like this.
  5. pass_to_Hakeem

I kind of hope not... HOU’s window for a championship was this past year - maybe the next 2

Do not have “years” to waste

6. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

The more I think about it that Tax payer MLE may be saved for buyouts. I also believe they’re waiting on Luc. At this point his injury should help us sign him for his minimum w the slight raise he gets. Also JJ on a 1 year deal may be the other move see until later in the off-season or season.

If Luc bails that would hurt but it will also show you where Morey valued him.

7. bevo202

bevo202 Member

I think this summer is demonstrating the need for drafting and developing guys. From our 2015-2018 draft, we dont have single guy projected to be in the rotation.

J.R. and Corrosion like this.
  8. JW86

JW86 Member

As long as we sign Mbah a Moute & Capela, we should not suffer too much, but it's really funny how it always seems other teams keep adding players and having this cap space while Morey's hands are tied almost every single off-season. I know that is partly because Leslie didn't want to go into luxury tax territory, but still.

9. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Need a sniper or two there. Are there any left? 40% or better

D-rock likes this.
  10. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

DeAndre Jordan? :)

That is a really interesting list. The west is going to be top heavy again. In the east, no one outside of Toronto, Boston, or Philly looks like they even can possibly be relevant.

That definitely puts an interesting lens on how to play things.

11. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Never really expected the Rockets to make major moves in FA.

It was Lebron or bust, because Rockets do not have money to sign anyone.

The real noise will be made with trades and really at the trade deadline next year.

Corrosion likes this.
  12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Also, the Rockets slogan this year seems to be "Run It Back"

So yeah...

D-rock likes this.
  13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

"Run It Back" (without Ariza ......Moute, Capela TBD)

Little Bit likes this.
  14. psman2

psman2 Member

I think Morey is playing the offseason the only way he can with the resources we have available. Most bargains are not going to happen the 1st couple days of free agency. It is funny reading all these post whining about not getting some player (however Noel for minimum would have been really nice).

We need to wait out Capela and see what number he comes in at. Luc with early bird is likely to happen, I really doubt we are offering the MLE to him. And we may actually have the full MLE if Capela comes in low enough.

I am sure Morey has a few trades on the back burner for late in the offseason if nothing else better comes along. Like a trade for Bazemore or getting two to three Sac guys (Temple, Koufas, Shump) for Anderson and pick. However you don't do those type of deals until every other avenue is explored.

bilaal14 likes this.
  15. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Montrez Harrell is available! Yay!

DM'sVP likes this.
  16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Buyout market makes a lot of sense for signing MCM then. If the rockets just play Ryan Anderson and MCM 20 minutes a piece and set their sites on the number 2 seed, they won't wear themselves down as much (hopefully). Then you add a piece of two for the playoffs and that could be big.

D-rock likes this.
  17. Reeko

Reeko Member

Possible? That’s what I expect and what is the most likely outcome. This summer sucks.

18. jwayne

jwayne Member

Well by any logic out there, that made sense. The big fish was LeBron, but everyone underestimated the fact that LeBron is now in “build my life and empire after basketball” mode.

We were the team with the best record in the regular season, and we were the only team even remotely close to knocking the W’s off. Quite simply, it takes two to tango. The big fish decided against us. Not much we can do about that.

So I don’t think Morey gave off that impression, I think that was the consensus mindsight. I mean, even ESPN put out a graphic with LBJ, MVP, and CP3 in Rockets uniforms with the question: “Can this team beat the Warriors?”

19. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

Explain Ryan Anderson. Go on, I'm waiting.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

New Math needs to make up for Google money.

China shoe market has been flocking to the West Coast these days :(

Newton didn't invent calculus overnight.