1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Golden State gets its Boogie on (Cousins signs with Warriors)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by justtxyank, Jul 2, 2018.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It's not that he didn't have an offer, he didn't have a significant offer.

He probably expected to get the max, was instead getting deals around 15 mil or so, felt disrespected, and called the Warriors.

He probably could have signed a deal with a bad team for 15 per 3 years or something, but going to GSW means he gets to rehab, come back strong, and show that he can be a team player and get the huge max deal he's probably seeking.

Everyone is saying he didn't have an offer he liked so I'm willing to believe the story, especially since Woj has been repeating it. I don't think Boogie has ever shown that he's that interested in winning before, this was a guy that had to be forced out of Sacto. I think this is all about him wanting a max contract.

EDIT: Also, I do believe he called the Warriors because I bet Houston and Morey would have jumped all over 5 million for Cousins for one year. Morey is that kind of risk taker. I think many teams would have taken that risk for one year that are in contention.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I don't have time to read through all 24 pages of this thread but here's one glaring fact:

Boogie is betting on himself to perform well (e.g. close to elite) next season on a stacked championship roster that still has championship aspirations. If he doesnt then his market will continue to be depressed next summer.

If he decides to be a complete black hole and gets stats at the detriment of the team you know damn well he'll ride the pine.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

agreed here. No way cousins wanted to sign a multi year contract that isn't even that high where he gets stuck with a team he doesn't even want to be on

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

How does GS seem to have no salary cap and every other team does? Seriously, they spend like drunken sailors.

da_juice and BigShasta like this.
  5. Yukyuk

Yukyuk Member

Houston has Capela at Center while GS has...Damien Jones and Jordan Bell. DMC is going to want to start when he returns to full health to fully showcase his recovery when he becomes a FA after the season. Probably played a factor too. Plus the pre-existing Team USA relationships he has with the Warrior stars.

6. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Zach Lowe new article pretty much nails the reasons cousins signed with the warriors.

No other team offered substantially more.

Cousins isn't highly regarded as or sought after due to injury and attitude.

Hes likely to miss 1/3 to 1/2 the season.

He's looking to get healthy, win and get a big pay day in 2019

7. rantsolpuella13

Supporting Member

I would agree with Lowe except for the fact that Cousins has said that no one called him once FA started. And now their are reports that the Celtics never got to make an offer because Cousins and his reps agreed to the GSW offer before then.

Cousins and the GSW are trying to backpedal after the backlash of picking up Cousins for MLE. I don’t trust their timeline at all.

8. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

marks0223 and rantsolpuella13 like this.
  9. Yukyuk

Yukyuk Member

Celts too busy making sure their #27 pick makes it to summer league :p

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

He also gets a ring and gets to play deep into the playoffs. It is a perfect situation for Cousins.

Also, not many big men have had the degree of injury Cousins has and has come back from it to be close to their pre-injury level of play.

Elton Brand had the same exact injury.

11. Juxtaposed Jolt

Yep, pretty much.

+ Gets to play with a very functional team / good coach
    + Gets to be in the Bay area
    + Is under absolutely no pressure to rush back to help the team
    + People won't complain if he plays badly, because 5.3 million.
    + Gets to audition for 2019 and gets the best chance for a ring
    + Gets to learn GS' playbook

12. TheresTheDagger

I am calm. I'm not sure why you feel you can tell whether I'm calm or not on a message board???

But whatever....

You mean the thing we couldn't do last year when they were weaker and we were stronger? SMH.

We aren't "taking them out".

13. davee

davee Member

dont worry

they lost Javale Mcgee

14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

How were we stronger without our second best player???

And yes when you TYPE LIKE THIS throughout your post you can kinda tell you're not calm.

Which by now it looks like you've finally calmed tf down.

15. TheresTheDagger

Ok, so if typing in caps = not calm maybe its your turn to calm down right? Oh you mean typing in caps can be covered by a range of things that doesn't equate to emotion? Huh. Who'da thunk?

We weren't. How are we stronger today without Ariza? (a situation I'm certain you knew I meant but chose to ignore).

16. smp

smp Member

What this does for GS is makes them better by adding depth. There's still only 1 ball so a team like Houston can beat them if both teams are equally healthy. The problem is Houston is done as soon as we have 1 injury to a key player. GS can withstand 2 to 3 injuries to key players. That's the difference in the series last year. We lose CP3 and it's all over. There is no margin for error and everything must go perfectly.

That's why so many of us were pissed when Dan Tony kept playing our key guys in meaningless games. Hopefully he learned his lesson. Health is all that matters for us. We can beat anyone if all of our guys are healthy and rested and there is no ref job scripted against us.

The refs we have no control over. If the league continues to script wins then we are screwed no matter what. The end result of last years ref job and the off season this year is that I care much less than I ever have. The NBA sucks right now. No competitive balance whatsoever. Their salary cap system is in place to prevent this and it failed miserably.

They need a structure that lets each team spend as much as they want on any player but still have a hard cap in place. There has to be a huge difference in star player salary vs the average Joe. That will make it much more appealing to be a star on a crappy team. It would also make it much less appealing for stars to team up together. Pride doesn't keep them from doing it so financial penalty has to be utilized better.

pippendagimp likes this.
  17. rantsolpuella13

Supporting Member

Can we now put the “Cousins wasn’t offered anything so he needed to go to Golden State” argument to rest? He is ring chasing. Good for him but he just needs to say it instead of backpedaling.

18. Yukyuk

Yukyuk Member

19. smp

smp Member

Nobody believes Cousins couldnt do better than 1 year, 5million dollars in the free market. Total BS. He should just own it. He wants to buy a ring and then move on to another team.

20. Lebronto

Lebronto Member

exactly

dude is a liar and he just wants to save face. he knows he is a hypocrite b**** after fighting with kd over this and draymond in games and behind the scenes.