1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Giannis on eventual free agency: "I can move on without the Bucks"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Mr. Space City, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

we don't need another ball hog. ryno will do.

2. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

@malakas faints

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Why would you say that?

Williamson likes this.
  6. da_juice

da_juice Member

I don't blame him. He's a great player in the Leastern conference and they can't make any headway. I think he's one of those borderline guys who can be a stellar 2nd banana or who can be the #1 guy on a team with the right talent around him. He's no Lebron, Hakeem, Shaq etc. where he can singlehandedly carry a team. But I feel like he's so versatile there's no excuse to not be able to field a quality surronding cast

roslolian likes this.
  7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well this doesn't sound like it helps!

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...waukee-bucks-giannis-antetokounmpo-game-4-win

That being said, you see the type of response one event like this creates. And then you realize that in smaller markets, stars can turn into gods amongst men... and revered for all time (especially if they deliver a title).

The pre-endoresment money usually is more. Sure, you may not make it big on the endorsement side right away.... then again, I think a lot of that is based on winning it all. Look at guys like Carmelo, Amare, Derek Rose, Blake Griffin.... who really didn't elevate their profile much by playing in a big market but not winning (and in some cases, hurt their overall brand).

Then again, there's guys like Shaq who eventually did make the correct choice... but to think he wouldn't have been a larger-than-life player in Orlando with success is far from the truth.

if Giannis eventually delivers a title to Milwaukee, it will carry far more weight than being on a non-championship big market team.

8. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

He may have an opportunity to be in a big market and also grab a championship or two. A <25 year old Giannis in LA will catapult his brand to a level that hasn't been seen in nearly a decade. The Bucks don't really seem to have the front office to take the team to the next level, its just not there. The guys you named who didn't benefit from the big markets are the ones to blame though. It's their own play that didn't elevate them. Being extremely good like Giannis and Shaq are / were and being stuck with a front office that is not bright, you are ruining your legacy by making a poor choice. Orlando screwed up with Shaq, but a front office with Jerry West was a no brainer. There is no indication the Bucks have the ability to build around Giannis, they are one of the worst franchises for a reason. There is no point in being loyal to idiots who get lucky occasionally.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Sure but why will he go to a non-championship big market team when he can go to a championship big market team? Lots of big market good teams out there even Toronto is arguably a big market since it is the only NBA team in Canada.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No doubt about that, but he is unattainable.

Reeko likes this.
  11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I do agree with you to some extent. The only reliable shooter they have is Middleton. They have been unlucky with Jabari's injuries, but even here there is a problem with poor defense.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

There is also zero indication that LA’s current front office has any ability to build a team.

LA has a lot of good things going for it. Great active management is not one of those things.

ghettocheeze and malakas like this.
  14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

and Chris Paul shoots too many mid range jumpers.

15. malakas

malakas Member

that's not a reason to trade them away.
    The super pampering of the superstar stage has begun..seems they have started worrying about resigning him already.

But no surprise both players think they are stars when it would be fortunate if both of them together can bring back a late lottery pick.

BigMaloe likes this.
  16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I mean Bledsoe is overrated.

I'd kind of want to see what Jabari can do if he ever gets fully healthy and gives it 100%.

Though he does kind of play a similar position to Jabari.

Even without Giannis' comments, IF the Bucks could get back equal/better value for either player you'd trade them.

You see it differently malakas? I know Bledsoe put up decent regular season stats... but he just doesn't do it for me.

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

Same here, never understood the hype on Bledsoe which basically came out cause he played a couple of good games backing up Paul 6 years ago, got injured plenty of times, unreliable shooter with not exactly a great shot selection, not a great court vision and iq for a pg, overrated defender cause "he's athletic bla bla"...a poor man Westbrook basically.

BigMaloe likes this.
  18. malakas

malakas Member

No I don't like either and wouldn't shed a tear if they got traded. Their fit is bad their attitude is bad and they are lazy and don't play defence.

However the reason to trade them away shoudn't be "Giannis doesnt enjoy playing with them".They already retained coach Sweeney who was the mastermind behind the horrific Kidd's defensive sheme because he was close to Giannis. If you shape your roster based on what your star would like then it's a slippery slope. Who knows if Kidd woudn't have gotten fired even sooner and done less damage if he wasn't so close to Giannis.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Develop a shot.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Can't disagree with that.

Just in this case in which Giannis' opinion might match up with what is best for the team, might as well pursue it.

I don't think a relationship with a star player should be that hard. Absent a Lebron all time all time type.

"Giannis, you're clearly our best player, you get a seat at the decision making table, but ultimately our job is to get this team to be as good as possible as soon as possible and occasionally that may mean making moves you don't like. We will certainly take into account your opinions, and all else being the same, will work to make decisions that benefit you, us and everyone the most be it personal or professional benefits."

the end.

BigMaloe and malakas like this.