1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumor: Chris Paul doesn’t plan on taking paycut for Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, Jun 3, 2018.

1. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I never said I didn’t want to upgrade on Ariza. But realistically, that’s going to be difficult to do, because even if the Rockets get LeBron or PG13, odds are Ariza will be back as an integral piece of a small ball lineup because Gordon or Capela will be included in the trade.

All I said is that Ariza isn’t garbage and his perimeter defense was a key factor in the Rockets’ success vs Golden State.

Of course, he picked a horrible night to have a historically bad shooting game. But without his perimeter defense, the Rockets wouldn’t have been up by 11 at halftime of game 7 either.

D-rock likes this.
  2. DVauthrin

Considering Capela or Gordon would be part of a deal for George or LeBron, Ariza could still have a starting position, or even if not, he would get starters’ minutes off the bench.

For example, you could run a lineup of CP3-Harden-Ariza-LeBron/PG13-Tucker for heavy minutes every game. Or if Capela is retained, start CP3-Harden-Ariza-LeBron/PG13-Capela, with Tucker getting starters’ minutes off the bench.

And if the Rockets strike out on LeBron or George, Ariza would obviously have a starting spot.

3. threepointshot3

I can’t believe people think Morey will run the risk of pissing the beard off by not maxing out cp

4. hakeemthagreat

Ppl thinking we're getting both PG13 & Lebron are spending too much time fantasizing on 2K18. We'll be lucky to pull off one. But both? That's the stupidest unrealistic idea I've heard

ROXTXIA and justtxyank like this.
  5. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

False. The refs only did the damage that needed to be done. Had Ariza balled out the refs would have just done more damage. It's rigged. There is absolutely no debate about that. It's facts.

hakeem94 and everyday eddie like this.
  6. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

good old bloated NBA contracts

Little Bit likes this.
  7. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I just don't see that happening. It really is lebron or big name free agent or bust. The problem with marginally better players vs a real allstar is consistency. James and chris paul need help against a team stacked like the Warriors. That other player has to be consistent. Which probably means we need another Star which in turn also means we are definitley going to have to give to get.
    He was never brought in here to be a serious scorer like the first time. He knows his job and that is why we have to keep Ariza. He does all the little things we need to win. We just need to make the man's job easier. Get harden and Paul a legit third scorer. Ariza should be the last option on offense so he can completely focus on what he is good at and that is defense.

D-rock likes this.
  8. MyLateRegistration

conspiracy. Refs don't rig making shots at a decent rate. At least make 3 3's of 9

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This is the kind of thing I am sure Cuban does. Dirk I am sure has some of that action.

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Cuban promised Chandler his weight in Gold if he screwed the rockets offer

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Definitely a lot of promises of screwing between Cuban and Parsons.

Parsons was just surprised he was the recipient of said promises.

12. DVauthrin

I pretty much agree with you, but if both George and LeBron turn down the Rockets, Morey will re-sign Capela, Ariza, Luc, etc and try to move Anderson for a comparable bloated contract that can actually help the Rockets against Golden State. Examples would be Allen Crabbe in Brooklyn or Nicolas Batum in Charlotte. It’s not my preferred option, but if that’s what happens the Rockets still get better.

And of course, to get LeBron or George means one of Gordon or Capela is gone.

I also agree with all of this. I would like to see Morey get one of LeBron or PG13 and bring Ariza back. He’s one of the team leaders and plays strong perimeter defense, which you can’t have enough of against Golden State.

everyday eddie likes this.
  13. Why not?

Why not? Member

I talk a lot of mess on Durant and Draymond (and I used to on Bron) but those guys all taking “pay cuts” for the betterment of the team has directly lead to rings.

CP3 coming out and saying he needs the max (at 33) or he isn’t coming back is just sad. $ > chips??

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Harden didn't take a pay cut and he ain't even as good as Durant.

Why not? likes this.
  15. clos4life

clos4life Member

Now we know why he needed surgery, all that time spent on his knees bent over.

16. aroundtheblock2

LeBron is more realistic than PG13 imo because I could see Cleveland doing a S&T with the Rockets over letting LeBron walk for nothing. OKC is not going to do a S&T with the Rockets, so I don't envision any scenario in which Paul George is in a Rockets uniform.

17. Yukyuk

Yukyuk Member

As the president of the NBA player's union, it would be extremely poor look for him politically to take a pay cut. Not when he always pushes players to take whatever they can get.

18. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Neither did Curry and he ain't as good as Durant either.

19. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Yawn; KD ran to GS to get his. Harden was about to get his without being a snake and a coward.

You need to step away ...go cry it out somewhere.

20. Mr. Space City

Don’t demand a max contract then go 3/14 in a huge playoff game.

RocketTheory likes this.