1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumor: Chris Paul doesn’t plan on taking paycut for Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I like cp3 and am proud of what the rockets accomplished and almost accomplished this year. Doesn't mean I think it's a good idea to be teathered to him for 5 years at the end of his career, paying him $40 mil per

2. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

The max he can get is 35.3 million. I bet he either takes a deal for 2-3 years at the max or takes less than 33 to start

bilaal14 likes this.
  3. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

All he has to tell the cavs is he is leaving. They dont have to take anderson. A 3rd team like the kings take anderson. They get a player like gordon and a prospect or two and a pick and send a worse pick and our picks to sacremento(they are buying picks at that point).

If he tells the cavs he is leaving they would rather get something than nothing and he walks. Getting an eric gordon and a pick is better than letting him walk. Why do you think the clippers traded cp3? He told them he was leaving and they got stuff back for him. We couldnt acquire cp3 without help. They helped us because its foolish to just let him walk. The cavs will definitely rather lebron go to the west if he bolts. There are a bunch of reasons and incentives for the cavs to trade lebron once he tells them he is leaving.

CP3s salary has nothing to do with acquiring lebron. We arent signing lebron with cap space. His opt in and trade isnt a sign and trade and we wouldnt be hard capped like last year when we used the MLE on tucker. CP3s pay has ZERO to do with getting lebron. It doesnt matter one bit. His cap hold is the same as his max and we have his bird rights since we got an opt in trade his bird rights came with him.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

There is a common misconception of the term "supermax." The max salary is dependent on tenure.
    • 25% for <7yrs
    • 30% for 7-9yrs
    • 35% for 10+
    The term supermax (or Designated Veteran Player 35% Max) refers to players who qualify for the top Max % before reaching 10yrs. That's all it means. You get the 35% sooner than normal.

Paul and Lebron already qualify for 35%, since they are 10yr vets. They are neither eligigible for DVPM status, nor do they need it.

The distinction between players needing an supermax designation and those who don't is important because teams are limited to 2 DVPMs on one team, and only 1 via trade. So don't let anyone say we can't give Harden, Paul and Lebron 35% based on some limit of two.

Durant didn't qualify last year because he was no longer with the same team who drafted him, nor was he acquired via trade off his rookie scale contract ala Harden. That is why Durant signed a 2yr contract to get him to his 10th year, so he can resign for 35%, as soon as eligible.

Lastly, the Designated Rookie thing (the original Derrick Rose rule) gets players with same team their 30% Max before normal...i.e. Before 7yr tenure.

Just for technical clarity, all 10yr vets qualify for the "supermax" level pay of 35%. None of them are technically referred to as Super Max players, because that term is reserved for Designated Vets, which 10yr vets don't need, since their tenured status is all they need for 35% Max.

For more, see my explanation above.

And excuse me for being a CBA nerd grammar police. I just see supermax used when it doesn't need to be (i.e. Paul and Lebron and Durant), and the distinction is somewhat necessary, because teams can only have two true Designated Vet Players on one team, and only 1 via trade.

#164 heypartner, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Exactly!

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

If TF/DM can't get an all star, they should focus on another PF, and a backup PG. Re-sign Chris to the max, will not make him untradable as long as he is fit, in the short term period. Will there be a place for Capela in this scenario? That is unclear to me.

7. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

Hamstring tear is a structural malallignment of his lower body.
    Pretty high risk investment on CPaul if we pay him max.

8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[[​IMG] QUOTE="Mr. Space City, post: 11808226, member: 41635"]$47 million a year contract at 37

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Mazulis and D-rock like this.
  9. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

If we are to get more help....superstar or all star help, i think CP3 knows he will have to take a little pay cut.... If we dont... then i would offer CP3 a 3 year deal at the MAX..... 4th as a team option (not likely). Given his age and injury history. I think it is more than reasonable.

10. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Get off the meth, bro.

D-rock and Reeko like this.
  11. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Err. He couldn't pull off Ryan for Melo, What makes you think he could trade a player that is basically a bag of water with eyes for the best player in the league?

bilaal14 likes this.
  12. Jontro

Jontro Member

cp3 showed his worth in the playoffs when we played gsw. unfortunately that worth is a two-sided blade. he's the most important player when he's on the court and can influence the game more so than harden.... except missing important playoff games is practically an inevitability for him.

so with that into account, i hope he takes less (despite him taking being vocal otherwise). paying a max player who won't be on the court come playoffs time is worrisome.

13. lionaire

lionaire Member

issa joke my guy

14. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Not taking a pay cut doesn't necessarily mean he's getting a max contract. A pay cut simply entails taking less money than he can demand.

Based on the market, it's possible that he's worth far less than what he's eligible for.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Sign LeBron first

D-rock likes this.
  16. OremLK

OremLK Member

Stockton and Nash were still chugging along at age 37. You can last a lot longer as a PG than as a big man. That said, I have my concerns with his knee.

Houstunna and hakeem94 like this.
  17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

he didnt really wanted melo, he was just baiting OKC into trading for him...

18. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

It's No Future without Chris Paul Period! He help us to 65 wins! Game 7 to one of the best teams ever assembled! 47 million is worth it, why? We are in WIn Now Mode! #2 He can get us LEBRON! Harden alone can't do that! #3 the future of winning another chip could be another 20 something years! I know I was 18 when we last won one and im now 41! #4 other than soft tissue injuries CP3 game is not built on jumping through the roof or athleticism! #5 It's Not my Money! Players give up money all the time to win Championships! Let these Billionaires eat up some money for once!

Jake Tower, D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  19. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Paul George and Boogie are nowhere close to CP3 give me a break.

The problem is CP3 is injury prone but when healthy he is way better than either....:rolleyes:

D-rock likes this.
  20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

moar exclamation points!! pleeease!!!

Jake Tower and hakeem94 like this.