1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can James Harden Contract be reworked?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mockster, Jun 3, 2018.

1. mockster

mockster Member

I don’t have any knowledge on the matter but could’ve of swore I’ve heard this happening before. I’m curious if harden could rework the contract where he’s making slightly less to bring more cape space. Not saying he would do this but I’m curious if it’s possible.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What's done is done......imagine every other player whine about reworking their contract.

mockster likes this.
  4. sholaemmanuel

sholaemmanuel Member

The short answer to you question is NO; and yet the long answer is NO. This is the N-B-A and not the N-F-(E)-L (National Football Exploit League.)

5. topfive

topfive CF OG

Not sure where this idea comes from that professional athletes would be so willing to get paid less than market value for their services. Especially when their careers are generally 15 years at the most, sometimes much, much less, and when they're all one injury away from never playing another minute.

Yes, a scattered few have chosen to sign for less than market value, but you can count those on one hand, and most other NBA players think those guys were kinda stupid for doing so.

#5 topfive, Jun 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Harden has never taken a pay cut in his career.

pugsly8422 and mockster like this.
  7. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

We need a system of vetting for thread starting capabilities. I call it extreme vetting.

8. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Lmao wtf

CantBeRight and juanm34 like this.
  9. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

If memory serves, seems when it was time for contract renegotiations for him in OKC they suggested he stay at a discount. Rightfully so he wasn't amused and shortly thereafter he was traded to Houston.

10. Newlin

Newlin Member

I don't think that was a "renegotiation" for a contract that he was currently on. I think that was a "negotiation" on a new contract that followed his rookie contract.

arkoe and Stormy1234 like this.
  11. mockster

mockster Member

I’m not a perfect person, just asking a question I’m not educated about and now I am. FYI I’ve almost got as many likes as you and posted about 9k less messages. So is that some of the vetting system you’d like to go by?. My point is I’ve posted conversation pieces that have been good and some just totally dumb and mistakes. Live and learn. Plus it’s all in the name of rockets fandom.

hou$tonScrew$tonTX likes this.
  12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Likes? Cool. That means people like your posts and you still ask questions that are far from threadworthy and easily answered maybe a thousand times over somewhere else. Congrats bro.

13. Pizza_Da_Hut

That was regarding his extension, not his current deal. Heck, it's why Klay may extend for less than his respective max. Ownership of OKC was telling Harden he could get a raise, just a couple of million shy of his max. He said no and they traded him. Houston then immediately extended him to his respective max.

topfive, arkoe and Stormy1234 like this.
  14. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Dumb threads are dumb.

15. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Except the max that we could offer was larger.

The max OKC could offer him was 4 yr/$60m. I believe they ended up offering him 4yrs/$54m.

OKC wasn't able to offer a 5 yr deal. You are only allowed to offer one 5yr extension on a rookie deal and they had already given theirs to Westbrook.

The Rockets had not already used their 5 yr extension so they were able to give it to Harden.
    We signed him for 5yrs/$78m

Stormy1234 likes this.
  16. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Misworded maybe on my part, negotiations for extending his contract is what I meant. As others have pointed out, there is no renegotiating existing NBA contracts, like baseball they're all guaranteed. My point was moreso that asking him to take a discount didn't work so well with the last team he was with.

#16 arkoe, Jun 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  17. BAHAMIANFAN

BAHAMIANFAN Contributing Member

I didn't know the answer and am glad OP asked it as I was interested in knowing as well. This is for the sake of less informed Rockets fans.

I do agree that some threads are not thread worthy and I have been guilty of this as well but the hate needs to stop . otherwise, this becomes like most other forums out there where the hardcore posters bash the newer ones for even asking questions. Yes, even questions asked many times. A polite response would be sufficient.

Thanks to all the members who answer the question.

18. hou$tonScrew$tonTX

You need to chill out. This is a sports fans’ website not a professional organization. Just because you have read every thread on clutchfans doesn’t mean everybody else has that luxury of time. Some of us have real jobs ;)

mockster likes this.
  19. Pizza_Da_Hut

Some of us have PhD's, but none of that is my bussiness.

Shocker that the guy who didn't Klay Thompson was NOT a FA this summer comments on this one. Shocker. I am legitimately shocked. Like really really shocked. Like super shocked.

topfive likes this.
  20. Pizza_Da_Hut

You are correct on the years and amounts, but you're losing sight of my point. That point was that it wasn't a contract renegotiation but rather an extension. So OKC wasn't asking him to take less. But yeah, he would have stayed on 4 years $60 M. The moral of the story is don't choose Ibaka over whomever you need to pay to stay.